PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 12:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC 4G Evo & Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

thaisport_sf is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [6-5-11][ROM] gingerbread-evo-deck [1.0][2.3.3 Stable][1.2v][2.3.4 Beta]

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarflarex View Post
Sorry for being such a newb but I gave been reading and can't seem to get the answers to a few questions straight. If I upgrade will....

1. I lose root?
No, you will not lose root by flashing a rom (unless you flash an official rom from sprint/HTC).

Quote:
2. Will I have to flash new radio?
No. People flash new radios either because they hope it increase their signals or because they are testing. If your radio signal is working will for you, don't flash.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." [/QUOTE]

Quote:
3. Fix the stupid storage problems 2.2 and every version before had? Will apps utilize the 16gb card I have? I can only hope because my apps have been very problematic.
What storage issues are you talking about? If you are talking about apps utilizing your 16GB card meaning that you would like your applications installed on your SD card, you can do it in froyo or gingerbread. You do however have to do several things for this to work regardless of 2.2, 2.3, etc:

1. Partition your SD card with a ext and upgrade to ext2. You can do this in recovery mode but you need to flash Amon Ra recovery 2.3 because in my experience, clockwork recovery has issues partitioning SD cards. (This WILL WIPE your SD card so back it up)If you plan to stick to 2.3+ android, you can upgrade your ext2 to ext4. Menu in Amon Ra is easy to follow for doing this. You can google the rest but this should help you:

[Recovery] [09-Feb-2011] RA-supersonic-v2.3 - xda-developers

2. Once your partition, you should also get an app like a2sd, I personally use ZDbox as it does everything all in one and it's free.

3. Transfer the apps you want over to your SD card. Just remember that if you connect your phone to your computer for file transfer, you will lose access to programs your transferred over until you disconnect it.

Hope that helps.
Over/Underclock: 1.228GHz screen on & screen off
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
PPCKitchen Crew
Pocket PC: Evo and Evo3d

mattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaisport_sf View Post

3. Just remember that if you connect your phone to your computer for file transfer, you will lose access to programs your transferred over until you disconnect it.

Hope that helps.
Have you tried THIS

Old 06-06-2011, 02:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsm View Post
Have you tried THIS
lol I'm too cheap :P and for me it's not a issue but that said, that's a good thing for those you want the best of both worlds!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

solarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Thank you for all the answers thaisport. I had thought that the new gingerbread from what I read caused a problem with root and that wimax/radio had to be flashed in other rom threads but not this one. I have been doing the app2sd stuff with the ext2 partition but the phone still fills up quickly once i'm at around 300apps or so. Also when my ext2 partition fills up it seems to cause a problem and all my apps are unusable on my sd card. I am still trying to figure out how to backup all my apps using titanium or whatever from my last mishap of apps not working.. I finally am able to see my sd card apps after the tinkering I did but now many of my internal storage apps say they are not installed now (blank icons)... I have another thread in the main evo area talking about this in detail. Still no answer on how to fix.

Thanks for the prompt and thorough answers.

Edit: re-reading the first page in its entirety it does say to flash the radio and wimax after flashing this. I do have a white evo from about a month ago too if that matters.

Last edited by solarflarex; 06-06-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

When you use titanium backup, hit the menu, enter batch and select the type of backup you want...

Normally I'd do back up of all apps and data separate. It will backup all your apps regardless of whether it's on SD or not. If you have tons of apps it may take a while. If you are going from a sense to non sense rom, just be aware sense apps will not work.

Next I'd copy the backed up content to my computer, personally, I if I have a lot of stuff, I not only backup my stuff with TI but also copy the entire content of my SD card as well (I also have a16gb).

Next, I would repartition the SD card and provide more space for the ext2. I have like 2gb space for my ext2. Make sure you also run the fix on the AmonRa partition menu as well.

As for missing apps, did you install a new rom over the old one? If you did, did you reinstall gapps?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

As for flashing radios, for me I usually flash the latest one just because I like trying new things. I've not had issues but I also live in a big city. Mileage varies.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsm View Post
Have you tried THIS
Hey Matt, just want to say I love your work on the TP2. I still have my TP2 on my 3rd line and your kitchen team rocks.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

solarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Cool thanks! On the apps being a problem. I will try to summarize this the easiest from my understanding of it. (which is total beginner for sure).

I partitioned card using whatever loader my root package installed.
I did 512mb ext2
I have 16gb card so this left me with like 14gb partition.

I installed apps pretty good with this setup. I had the problem i'm about to explain before on a normal configuration using app2sd (app) only on another rom and it did the same thing. This is 2.2 elite and 2.2 omj i'm talking about. As in before I got a bunch of market downloads going 30+ i'm guessing on the last estimate which is 40 updates of apps. I had a notification that I had updates. Looked there were 50 or so. I switched my app2sd function of (droid overclock app) to internal. Took care of the ones that I dont want on the card such as go sms/go launcher etc. Then flipped it back to sd and did update all.

The updates were very slow. And stopped installing. So I powered off using the power/restart. Come back and none of my sd apps are usable. They have generic droid icons and say they are not installed anymore when you click them. THe music/pictures astro or es explorer can access the sd card fine. Doing chkdsks etc work great. Mounting card as a drive in windows doesn't work anymore, but can take out the card and use in usb reader ok. Well after going into application manager in settings I uninstalled one of the update files that looked smaller than it should have been and the app manager started scanning. It was taking an extremely long time to scan and I interuppted it, but it appears that most of the sd apps are seen and working now, but many of my internal ones are now blank icons.... So I am trying to recover the apps I can... even just the apk's so I dont have to search throughout marketplace for hours to find them. Do you have any ideas how to refresh the apps? make the device look at what is installed and make it all available again?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Oh yeah and the backup software that is working (gemini) doesn't see all the apps. (the ones on internal are not accessible. Everything else seems to function fine with the phone.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

1) Maybe try to uninstall and reinstall TI backup. Worse comes to worse you may just have to salvage what you can and redo the SD card and reinstall the missing apps. If u can wait, see if others have any other ideas but if not, start clean.

2) If you have rom manager, try to fix permissions as well.

3) try clearing the cache and dalvik cache as well...

4) If u end up doing a clean install and stuff, backup your sd card as best you can first. The boot into recovery (use AmonRa 2.3 - best one in my opinion for stuff like this)and format the card and give more room for ext2 (if u stick with gingerbread you can upgrade to ext4 (2 to 3 to 4 and again run the fix option). Next copy the rom, kernel, radio etc to your SD card.

5) Now just wipe everything, cache, data, etc. And install your rom. Then boot it up. SETUP your wifi first.

6)Once you set that up, install your gaaps and reboot. Run through the setup. If you have tons of apps. It will take a while BUT it will download much faster on wifi. Trust me on this one as I do it enough to know lol.

7)Reboot into recovery then install your kernel and reboot.

IF TI backup worked, copy it back over to you SD card, reinstall TI and restore.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development