PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 03:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus- Mighty ROM 4.7

Jordan88 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Flashing and Installing ROM

Hello,

I have never owned a smartphone before, and will be buying the HTC (cdma version) Diamond from telus. I already hate how restricted telus makes the phone, so i am planning on flashing the rom and using in its place Juicy Rom v. 4.2.1. From everything i have looked it this does exactly what i am looking for. If need be i can make personal tweaks using some of the other .CAD programs that have good ratings.

Unfortunately, despite being fairly computer savvy, i am completely new to phone modding. I have been on these forums as well as XDA, and have had a hard time finding a guide to flashing / unlocking the Diamond. This here is the only guide that i have found:

http://lievenvw.wordpress.com/2008/0...-a-custom-rom/

I have several questions, the first is, is this a good and safe guide to follow? Also, he notes that whichever cooked ROM you use usually has a preferred hardSPL, but i have been unable to find any info on this for the Juicy ROM. And finally, is there a recommended Radio ROM? This is one thing that i am very unsure of because i don't know exactly what the radio rom will change, and if it will affect my service from telus.

If anyone has any info or knowledge that would be able to help me out here i would very much appreciate it. I am buying the phone sometime this week, and i just don't want to permanently brick my phone by doing this the wrong way. Ok, one final question, just in case things go awry, will hard resetting remove any flashing and installing done?
Old 10-19-2008, 03:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Flashing and Installing ROM

Now i just came across this thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36062

and it is also for unlocking the phone. However, this one seems much simpler, it does not appear to involve flashing the hardSPL or the radio. Or is this actually a specific hardSPL flash?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm having a bit of a hard time figuring all this out (i just started today).
Old 10-19-2008, 04:17 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

the7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan88 View Post
Now i just came across this thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36062

and it is also for unlocking the phone. However, this one seems much simpler, it does not appear to involve flashing the hardSPL or the radio. Or is this actually a specific hardSPL flash?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm having a bit of a hard time figuring all this out (i just started today).
This will get you everything you need. The first time I did it, it took me about 10 minutes of careful reading, 5 minutes of preparation and 10-15 minutes of actual flashing. I know it may look daunting, but don't worry. If you follow the steps carefully as listed in that thread, you'll be just fine. Welcome and good luck!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thank you, so just to be clear, that Cmonex unlocking is the hardSPL flashing? And then once that is completed i can flash to radio verson 1.00.25.05 (I have read this seems to be the best one) and then flash to juicy rom?
Old 10-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Telus

gamer007 is keeping up the good workgamer007 is keeping up the good workgamer007 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan88 View Post
Thank you, so just to be clear, that Cmonex unlocking is the hardSPL flashing? And then once that is completed i can flash to radio verson 1.00.25.05 (I have read this seems to be the best one) and then flash to juicy rom?
Yup, first you do cmonex's HardSPL. You can't flash to a new radio though. The radio version you read about is the GSM Diamond radios. Telus uses CDMA so they're incompatible. But after you unlock your phone, you can flash to Juicy's ROM if you wish.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

yea IGNORE ALL INSTRUCTIONS FROM XDA-DEVELOPERS if you have a CDMA phone (sprint verizon alltel etc.) its a completely different animal for the US CDMA version. follow the instructions in that link, and once you are comfortable with flashing look at my internal storage flash method it will save you tons of time flashing to new custom roms (or back to stock.)
Old 10-19-2008, 07:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thank you for letting me know about the radio flashing. That could have potentially been bad. So is there any radio flashing for telus diamonds or has the radio for telus phones just been left alone?

And the link in your sig. confuses me a bit. I don't mind taking the extra time to do it a way that i understand, but thank you.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Telus

gamer007 is keeping up the good workgamer007 is keeping up the good workgamer007 is keeping up the good work

At the moment, no. Juggalo has created a thread for discussing radios for CDMA diamonds here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=40609

He has the Sprint radio link in there, but as always, flashing can cause problems. I would say it's best to stay on Telus' stock radio.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Alright, thank you to everybody who replied for all your help. I think that i am ready to do all of the spl and rom flashing... Once i actually get my diamond that is. And hopefully i can bargain with telus for a cheaper plan by bringing up the iphone and rogers haha.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ok, i'm really sorry here, but i have one more question... Does hard resetting after doing all of this put it back to factory telus settings? or do "default settings" after flashing become the Cmonex hardSPL and the Juicy Rom, and the only thing that would be removed is apps and data?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development