PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 11:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Merovingian is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I remember where I used to work we were a VZW partner and their reps came in when they were launching their LTE network and of the info they laid down on us, the one that no one seemed to latch on to (which i found most interesting and better than WiMax) was when they explained that the best thing about LTE was that it has a no-interruption handoff back to 3G. As in if you were doing something on LTE like streaming and you leave LTE coverage, the network would do a soft handoff back to 3G without any interruption in the data.

I didn't think much of it then until I rememberd how abysmal my experience was with WiMax where I go a few blocks in my neighbourhood, lose WiMax, get disconnected from whatever I was doing and then wait eons for either 3G to pick up again or for 4G to reconnect from Zzzzing.

Oddly enough, I observe that 4G USB WiMax modems (I tested Clear service for a while as well, also sold them too) seem to reconnect faster to a lost 4G signal than phones.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G/TP2

aaron580 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to aaron580
Re: Time to ante up on Sprint 4G

4G is a myth to me since there is no 4G ANYWHERE in indiana that I know of. Its just a joke it seems.

OMJ rom
Godmode kernel tearing fixed
Old 07-15-2011, 12:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

donkeythekidd is keeping up the good workdonkeythekidd is keeping up the good work

4G what the hell is that? I bought the Evo when it first came out, along with one for my Wife and Dad. I have been spending an extra $30 a month and have not once seen 4G, not at work and not at home, and neither has my Wife or Dad. The worst thing is our average speed on the crappy 3G is between 46kbps and 128kbps. This is in Riverside, CA. The area is surrounded by 4G coverage and somehow Sprint forgot about us. I wouldnt be that upset if it wasnt for the fact that when I bought the phones Sprint told me it would be coming to the area soon, and the 5 times I talked to them since its the same shit, last time they told me June.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo3D

nasa1303 is becoming a great contributor
4G sucks. That's why they couldn't keep the 10$ premium data charge to just 4G phones. On a good day i get 5-6 mps. It is constantly dropping in and out though. Maybe it will get better. I guess sprint is the cheapest so i guess u can't complain too much. Unlimited is misleading but at least we don't get charged after a certain amount.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2011, 02:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Threadstarter

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CripledCyclone View Post
At work(near Atlanta) I get 6mb/s down from speednet.. However, at my house (in buford) I get jack for 4g. I'm 5 stories up at work and not near a window.

I am dissapointed I can only use it at work and it cost's an extra $10/M for the Unlimited data plan when I can only use 4g at my house.

Also, Sugar Hill? I live like 15 minutes from you. :P
You are just down the street!!
You know another thing? That unlimited data is only for 4G data!!!! I was snooping around through my plan one day and noticed the fine print. I don't know what the data cap is on 3G ir if it is even published but I distinctly remember seeing the words, "Unlimited 4G Data". Now, if ALL data was not unlimited, why specify 4G. That concerned me because I stream talk radio all day. Even when on teh Harley. I make it a point to switch to WiFi just in case. I don't want to get some freaky $42,000 bill because I left my phone streaming for a month.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

CripledCyclone is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post
You are just down the street!!
You know another thing? That unlimited data is only for 4G data!!!! I was snooping around through my plan one day and noticed the fine print. I don't know what the data cap is on 3G ir if it is even published but I distinctly remember seeing the words, "Unlimited 4G Data". Now, if ALL data was not unlimited, why specify 4G. That concerned me because I stream talk radio all day. Even when on teh Harley. I make it a point to switch to WiFi just in case. I don't want to get some freaky $42,000 bill because I left my phone streaming for a month.

Are you talking "unlimited data" plans?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:00 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

Quote:
Yea, I have an Airave in my house too. works better then airvana imo.
Are you paying extra for it?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Are you talking "unlimited data" plans?
Yeah, I have opne of those "All"plans.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

CripledCyclone is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Are you paying extra for it?
AFAIK I own it. And I haven't seen any extra charges as of yet, had it for about 3ish months now

Quote:
Yeah, I have opne of those "All"plans.
We have the Unlimited data/texts + 1500 minutes family plans and so far no extra 'sacktapping' bills have come yet.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:22 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

How did you get the Airwave? My daughter is going to ABAC and she has to walk to a special place on campus, just to call. Her coverage is horrible.
Do you pay extra for it?

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Tags
4g, shit slow 3g, sprint