PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Pocket PC: Moto Flip>Smsng 8500>Razr v3m>Mogul>TP>3 TP2s+ ??
Carrier: Sprint Premier Gold- White Glove Status

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Time to ante up on Sprint 4G

I've been getting + 2 mb speeds forever... key is... WHAT IS YOUR RECEPTION? How many -dBm?? It matters... and try in middle of night, see if it's better.

Here under the networking heading 1/2 way down in Jan, I reported 3 mbs speeds
DREAM PHONE - Mini guide :>)) updated startmenu remover cabs

Here's a post with a few speed tweeks..

Here's a speed test done on 3G Tp2... no... not wifi
site must have been screwed up :>))
#30273 6.7mbps with mobilespeedtest.com!!!

Don't want to turn OP's post into a 3G discussion, but he did mention 3G... one last thing..
Speed test results are ALL OVER THE BOARD!

What you are testing with & where & on what device...
If on the windows side of Sprint TP2,
ON TP2: (I just tested all of this again at the slowest time of the day here..)
I can use speedtest.com
Opera & get 600k, UC Browser & couldn't get a result... was too fast, largest file, UzardWebP & got 4.8 mbps

Using DSL reports:
mobile speed tests all over the board depending on the browser
You can run flash with UzardWebP, got 4.8 mbs... of course that's cheating.. runs flash on a host server like skyfire use to..
Got 3.3mbs on mobilespeedtest.com once with UC...

Some of the slower tests on Opera were 600k, however did see some 1.3 mbs

ON PC wifi hotspot/router: I use a dsl site close to me, lakeville.speedtest.frontier.com years ago had some of the fastest results on dsl reports, used it ever since as my standard. This is the one I get 2.3-3.13 mpbs on.

When we talk speeds, 1st state if it's on your ppc or PC tethered... 2nd which browser, 3rd... which site you used.

ALL of the speeds above were taken 3G, no wifi...

If you in chicago, give me your test criteria Eric, I'll be happy to run it up here to compare. (site, file size, on ppc or pc, browser used, android or windows if ppc, etc.. (I have both xdandroid & windows on my ppc)

later

Last edited by teradog; 07-22-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teradog View Post
I've been getting + 2 mb speeds forever... key is... WHAT IS YOUR RECEPTION? How many -dBm?? It matters... and try in middle of night, see if it's better.

Here under the networking heading 1/2 way down in Jan, I reported 3 mbs speeds
DREAM PHONE - Mini guide :>)) updated startmenu remover cabs

Here's a post with a few speed tweeks..

Here's a speed test done on 3G Tp2... no... not wifi
site must have been screwed up :>))
#30273 6.7mbps with mobilespeedtest.com!!!

Don't want to turn OP's post into a 3G discussion, but he did mention 3G... one last thing..
Speed test results are ALL OVER THE BOARD!

What you are testing with & where & on what device...
If on the windows side of Sprint TP2,
ON TP2: (I just tested all of this again at the slowest time of the day here..)
I can use speedtest.com
Opera & get 600k, UC Browser & couldn't get a result... was too fast, largest file, UzardWebP & got 4.8 mbps

Using DSL reports:
mobile speed tests all over the board depending on the browser
You can run flash with UzardWebP, got 4.8 mbs... of course that's cheating.. runs flash on a host server like skyfire use to..
Got 3.3mbs on mobilespeedtest.com once with UC...

Some of the slower tests on Opera were 600k, however did see some 1.3 mbs

ON PC wifi hotspot/router: I use a dsl site close to me, lakeville.speedtest.frontier.com years ago had some of the fastest results on dsl reports, used it ever since as my standard. This is the one I get 2.3-3.13 mpbs on.

When we talk speeds, 1st state if it's on your ppc or PC tethered... 2nd which browser, 3rd... which site you used.

ALL of the speeds above were taken 3G, no wifi...

If you in chicago, give me your test criteria Eric, I'll be happy to run it up here to compare. (site, file size, on ppc or pc, browser used, android or windows if ppc, etc.. (I have both xdandroid & windows on my ppc)

later
I use my HTC Arrive Mango IE9. the sites I use are mobilespeedtest.com (the 100k and 1MB tests) and the dslreports mobile test, I also have an app called bandwidth that I use too with various servers around the world.i only experience this issue in my hometown in the far north suburbs of Chicago rather than in Chicago itself. I also dont even experience these slow speeds in the county seat of my county,so imagine that. and we can't yet discuss 4G till 3G is back to working the way it was last year at least.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:05 PM
VIP Member - Retired

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community

wow, long stretch along Lake Bluff & then zion & north are 3G only... but, 3G should be solid for you 100 miles any way but east!
Per: Sprint - Nationwide Coverage

Haven't looked at the coverage maps in a while, new to me it the 4G "In building" vs. "On the Street". Interesting.

Will do some more tests on mobilespeedtest.com & dsl mobile again soon... but those are the ones I tested with.

Did you try field test yet & see what your -dbm is around your place? Don't know if it works with wp7 or not, but must be another that does???

*edit*
Opera 9 speedtest.com around 500kbs @ -58dbm (very good reception) 1 mb files
UC Web speedtest.com from 2000kbps on 1 to 3 mb files, & a couple times around 3500kbps.. 3.5mbps

Don't think UC Web browser uses a server & just sends screen pops like skyfire or UzardWeb browser, not sure what's the diff, but many report it to be the fastest surfing for them... probably doesn't work on a wp7 dev.
Didn't run any Uzard tests as the results are skewed due to above reasons.

Last edited by teradog; 07-23-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
wow, long stretch along Lake Bluff & then zion & north are 3G only... but, 3G should be solid for you 100 miles any way but east!
Per: Sprint - Nationwide Coverage

Haven't looked at the coverage maps in a while, new to me it the 4G "In building" vs. "On the Street". Interesting.

Will do some more tests on mobilespeedtest.com & dsl mobile again soon... but those are the ones I tested with.

Did you try field test yet & see what your -dbm is around your place? Don't know if it works with wp7 or not, but must be another that does???

*edit*
Opera 9 speedtest.com around 500kbs @ -58dbm (very good reception) 1 mb files
UC Web speedtest.com from 2000kbps on 1 to 3 mb files, & a couple times around 3500kbps.. 3.5mbps

Don't think UC Web browser uses a server & just sends screen pops like skyfire or UzardWeb browser, not sure what's the diff, but many report it to be the fastest surfing for them... probably doesn't work on a wp7 dev.
Didn't run any Uzard tests as the results are skewed due to above reasons.
a sprint rep finally calls be today and tells me what's up and it appears that the tower 1.1 miles from my house is blown and is receiving upgrades that aren't expected to be completed till 9/30 (ouch!) and then she mentioned another tower 1.6 miles from me on the far west side of my town that is in good condition but receives heavy load at times.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:26 AM
VIP Member - Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
a sprint rep finally calls be today and tells me what's up and it appears that the tower 1.1 miles from my house is blown and is receiving upgrades that aren't expected to be completed till 9/30 (ouch!) and then she mentioned another tower 1.6 miles from me on the far west side of my town that is in good condition but receives heavy load at times.
Well at least you know what's up & that someone is working on it! Good luck
Old 07-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Well at least you know what's up & that someone is working on it! Good luck
convenient place for a tower,I didn't even know it was there. (middle of a wooded area on the far northeast side of my town)

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Tags
4g, shit slow 3g, sprint