PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Time to ante up on Sprint 4G

before the ante up on the 4G they need to ante up on the 3G. I've been having this issue in my zip code since February and have had them credit me and even blasted them on a local radio station in a text message during a recent storm and blackout in my area and that is finally when they admit that they're improving the network experience in one of the newsletters they send. since then my speeds have improved to where I can watch VEVO during peak hours but they still slow to a crawl periodically. on the other hand when I was in Chicago this past Wednesday my download speeds were over 2mbps on 3G.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I used to live in a 4G area, now I live 2 houses away from a 4G signal ...I miss 4G so much...it makes tethering a lot smoother experience...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 AM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
3g is nonexistent at my house, everywhere else it's 1.2 mb/sec max. But at $30/month I'm not complaining.

If I were paying what most of you are paying I'd have jumped ship a long time ago!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
I used to live in a 4G area, now I live 2 houses away from a 4G signal ...I miss 4G so much...it makes tethering a lot smoother experience...
but at least your 3G speeds stay at or above average. mine frequently drop to the level reported in my SIG and lower, does not do it as much but it's still unacceptable when compared to just last year.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:57 AM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
but at least your 3G speeds stay at or above average. mine frequently drop to the level reported in my SIG and lower, does not do it as much but it's still unacceptable when compared to just last year.
I don't see a Sig!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
I don't see a Sig!
yea sometimes it displays,and sometimes it doesn't. its in my first reply in this thread on the first page.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

Iron.Wraith is keeping up the good workIron.Wraith is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I live in nowhere... Sprint 3G is barely available. I have line of sight to a Sprint tower at home and get 1070 down. Voice coverage is annoying. I bounce between Sprint and a small local provider between home and work. I think the local provider is now booting roamers off after 10 minutes or so. AT&T has finally started putting in 3g / HSPA equipment on their previously EDGE only towers and and the local provider is bleeding customers. Sprint may be losing me come September. AT&T has better voice coverage now than what I'm getting on Sprint. One more tower here would make a world of difference for me but I'd be surprised to see one within the next 2 years....

No more than I've been using my EVO I could end up going the no contract route... $50 a month is appealing.

Edit: I'm in no way bashing Sprint btw. It's just the way the cellular cookie crumbles at this point in time. Sprint's plans still can't be beat for those in need or who finds it worth the prices of unlimited plans. Had to throw that out there to not sound like ship jumping whiner ... lol

Last edited by Iron.Wraith; 07-18-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Palndrm12 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I agree 4G should be further along by now. I did just switch over to a 4G compatible device with the Evo 3D but I don't really expect 4G anytime soon. I live in Southeast Michigan and every Sprint store I go to tells me how its been impossible with Canada so close because they are using the same frequencies. I am not sure how thats ever going to work. I couldn't get my phone before to stop jumping over to Canadian towers before and I was several miles from the border.

I still am not switching to Verizon and will gladly pay the extra $10 a month its still cheaper! I don't know how they can keep increasing the DL speed and drop down the data plans...
Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 PM
VIP Member - Retired
Pocket PC: Moto Flip>Smsng 8500>Razr v3m>Mogul>TP>3 TP2s+ ??
Carrier: Sprint Premier Gold- White Glove Status

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

hey hey... kiowa & davetn same thread again! :>))
Sorry about your 3G Kiowa, you know what I'm getting! :>)) 3 mbs avg @ night, 2.6 daytime. .
I can't even imagine you guys @ a sprint store... I always have conflicts talking down to them :>))

We've discussed much of this in the past, but make sure you use fieldtrial or a droid signal meter to find the best reception. It would be VERY interesting to know what you are getting for -dBm...

I can see my tower about 2 miles across the lake. I get -55 in one window, turned a certain way... of course this is the spot I wifi & tether from...

The 4G tests I've done are a joke with Sprint, Clear & Verizon. All of them had their own sites & sheets showing awesome numbers, a couple even tried to show me some great live speeds... joke.

I took the device each time to my speed site & none of the 4G devices beat 5mbps in their kiosk/store!! Sprint barely cleared 4! If I'm getting 3, why the heck would I pay over $1000 more a year in plan charges for shotty 4G?!!

You could give me a free EVO 3G, I'd send it back... not worth a grand a year to me.

Last edited by teradog; 07-22-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teradog View Post
hey hey... kiowa & davetn same thread again! :>))
Sorry about your 3G Kiowa, you know what I'm getting! :>)) 3 mbs avg @ night, 2.6 daytime. .
I can't even imagine you guys @ a sprint store... I always have conflicts talking down to them :>))

We've discussed much of this in the past, but make sure you use fieldtrial or a droid signal meter to find the best reception. It would be VERY interesting to know what you are getting for -dBm...

I can see my tower about 2 miles across the lake. I get -55 in one window, turned a certain way... of course this is the spot I wifi & tether from...

The 4G tests I've done are a joke with Sprint, Clear & Verizon. All of them had their own sites & sheets showing awesome numbers, a couple even tried to show me some great live speeds... joke.

I took the device each time to my speed site & none of the 4G devices beat 5mbps in their kiosk/store!! Sprint barely cleared 4! If I'm getting 3, why the heck would I pay over $1000 more a year in plan charges for shotty 4G?!!

You could give me a free EVO 3G, I'd send it back... not worth a grand a year to me.
how the hell do they put the upgraded towers in MN first but not in the Chicago area? the highest I've ever seen here on 3G was 2.1M and that was when I was in Chicago itself. in my town last year I would consistently stay above 800 now im lucky if I can even stay above 300! they need to get their priorities straight Chicagoland is a much larger market than all of MN combined.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Tags
4g, shit slow 3g, sprint