PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Simple Guide, 6 Easy Steps (15 min): ANDROID TP2 DL links, 3/25 FRX06, GingerBre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Arrrrgh?

Can I please ask for a request of what "utils" you use, be posted on the 1st or second post please? I have tried several battery showing apps, and task managers, some seem to be ok, but 2 days ago, I read (somewhere I cannot find the post) that you were using some app for task manaagment? It goes without saying, you have done MARVELOUS work on these droid threads, sure as heck helped me a lot. So since you also seem to find the best apps, can you at least list them, so I know what to hunt for in market (or elsewhere)?

Thanks a huge amount.

I love this android on my TP2, but when I try a new build I have to reload all my apps, and without the old one running, I forget what all I need, liked, and what not (I know what I liked isnt your concern)... LOL but a couple 3 or 4 basic needs, like astro, and task manager, etc.

thanks.
Well thanks for your kind words. There is a folder, AndroidApps that is a small treasure trove of useful apps. I probably need to brush it up - two problems with it tho, the more apps I put in there the larger the build gets, and certain apps that are 'free' of charge, I cannot include. Technically I don't think I'm even supposed to bundle gapps, but hey .

As for a task manager specifically, I like SystemPanel Lite. Very rarely do I have to go in and kill apps, but sometimes when the phone isn't sleeping correctly and you've looked at everything else - that's the next place to go. That durn Weatherbug "Elite" app I got from the Amazon app store for free was absolutely slaughtering sleep, stay away from it!

Back to your topic, for reinstalling apps there's two methods that work pretty well. You can get the build where you like it app-wise, and then go thru the /data/app folder and pull out all the APK's you like. Store them in the AndroidApps folder, and if you blast out your data.img, those apps will magically be installed for you . The one thing that doesn't address is the data within said apps, and if you want to back that up I highly recommend Titanium Backup - this is one of those apps I'd like to include, but I don't think I can. I'll poke around, perhaps I am able to include that app. That and SystemPanel Lite I am going to try and provide APK's for in future builds, in that AndroidApps folder!

PS - this isn't my thread, so I can't modify posts at the beginning . I can certainly include a list in my thread, but I think the AndroidApps folder is more direct, assuming that it is OK that I include them.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRo2
Carrier: Verizon

Sting32 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Arrrrrgh. You're great. I read (skimmed) too fast to see it isn't your thread. Everything else you said helps me immensely!! Should save me some time!!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: Simple Guide, 6 Easy Steps (15 min): ANDROID TP2 DL links, 3/25 FRX06, GingerBre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Arrrrrgh. You're great. I read (skimmed) too fast to see it isn't your thread. Everything else you said helps me immensely!! Should save me some time!!
I just want to say thanks to the folks that have put this thread together since the materials are now in one place. i have followed all this for several months and it is easily confusing for the novice user.

I just took the phone to Costa Rica for a week and have to say between WiMo and Android I did not have to bring a laptop and was totally functional in a GSM/WiFi world.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

tkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
I just want to say thanks to the folks that have put this thread together since the materials are now in one place. i have followed all this for several months and it is easily confusing for the novice user.

I just took the phone to Costa Rica for a week and have to say between WiMo and Android I did not have to bring a laptop and was totally functional in a GSM/WiFi world.

Cheers
Jerry, would you mind sharing what you did to get GSM part of the android to work? I do see cell signals but just can't make any calls. I've tried a few of the suggested methods from the FAQ section of xDAndroid, but still isn't fully functional.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkedch View Post
Jerry, would you mind sharing what you did to get GSM part of the android to work? I do see cell signals but just can't make any calls. I've tried a few of the suggested methods from the FAQ section of xDAndroid, but still isn't fully functional.
I assume you're on a RHOD400?

SIM is in the slot, force_cdma=0...

The only other thing that might trip you up is I've heard the setting in WinMo - what is the network set to? I think it needs to be set to GSM only. Not positive tho... hyc is working on true WorldPhone support, and he seems close - so soon maybe we'll be able to switch between the two within Android .
Old 04-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

tkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stufftkedch knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
I assume you're on a RHOD400?

SIM is in the slot, force_cdma=0...

The only other thing that might trip you up is I've heard the setting in WinMo - what is the network set to? I think it needs to be set to GSM only. Not positive tho... hyc is working on true WorldPhone support, and he seems close - so soon maybe we'll be able to switch between the two within Android .
Yeah, i'm on RHOD400. I am currently not in the states, so i'm using mainly GSM mode. I felt stupid to ask such a question only to find the answer the next second. But being able to switch between two modes within Android would definitely be nice. It's been a long time since I played with any of these, sorry for being a noob all over again.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeah, i'm on RHOD400. I am currently not in the states, so i'm using mainly GSM mode. I felt stupid to ask such a question only to find the answer the next second. But being able to switch between two modes within Android would definitely be nice. It's been a long time since I played with any of these, sorry for being a noob all over again.
We're all noobs at one point or another .

So are you good, is it workin? You should give hyc's new RIL a shot, but AFAIK the WorldPhone code isn't complete... so we're not quite there .
Old 04-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
We're all noobs at one point or another .

So are you good, is it workin? You should give hyc's new RIL a shot, but AFAIK the WorldPhone code isn't complete... so we're not quite there .
Things are working now, thank you very much for your response. I just got bored these couple of days, so I started to look at the android thing again. Things have moved along quite a bit since I last played with it, which is always a good sign. I know from previous experiences that notification LED is always on, and when the phone sleeps, it should be green to tell you that the phone is not draining battery. It seems to be the case here as the LED stays on all the time, however it stays orange all the time even when in sleep mode. Did I miss anything?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Things are working now, thank you very much for your response. I just got bored these couple of days, so I started to look at the android thing again. Things have moved along quite a bit since I last played with it, which is always a good sign. I know from previous experiences that notification LED is always on, and when the phone sleeps, it should be green to tell you that the phone is not draining battery. It seems to be the case here as the LED stays on all the time, however it stays orange all the time even when in sleep mode. Did I miss anything?
Glad GSM is workin for you now.

Orange = full wake

Green = full sleep

On WisTilt2's test kernels, there's a third state - blinking green = wakelock present - something preventing sleep in other words. adb, gps, etc will all generate wakelocks.

So if you're always solid orange, the phone isn't sleeping - at all. Make sure GPS is disabled, and there aren't any apps running wild.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Glad GSM is workin for you now.

Orange = full wake

Green = full sleep

On WisTilt2's test kernels, there's a third state - blinking green = wakelock present - something preventing sleep in other words. adb, gps, etc will all generate wakelocks.

So if you're always solid orange, the phone isn't sleeping - at all. Make sure GPS is disabled, and there aren't any apps running wild.
AFter playing with it a little more, I finally noticed the blinking green you're talking about. I will try to turn off everything e.g. gps, background syncing. and see if that helps with the situation.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2