PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 11:04 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

shong6 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Worth the wait? Will it one day be "complete enough"?

I enjoy my hw keyboard very much, especially since the on-screen keyboard w/o multitouch just doesn't work. However, MOST (not all) people do not care for a hardware keyboard, if they did they would get a blackberry or something. Also with the phone getting ultra bulky like our TP2, it just does not appeal to the general public. I know for a lot of you, you're just so used to a hw keyboard, but if you try out a phone with multitouch screen with big screen, you won't miss a hw kb.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch pro
Carrier: Sprint

mobius7107 is just getting started

i dont see thm taking it this far and just quiting, although with the faster cpu on the HD2 your probally gonna see the rom for that phone. Great hardware and with both os its gonna be great if there isnt going to be any more win mo phones that we can customize then id suggest we ask and push open for ubuntu on an android OS, take advantage of the Windos/Mac feel just need to integrate the phone and txt working on it, maybe im a dreamer on this but iwould love to get this working on an EVO, IMO
Call the Gas & Electric Co and ask for a free month, Try the Water Co ask if they give you a % off for working at Walmart., At Chevron tell them that you have been a long time customer and want some free gas and will need Ready Now Service too.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by shong6 View Post
I enjoy my hw keyboard very much, especially since the on-screen keyboard w/o multitouch just doesn't work. However, MOST (not all) people do not care for a hardware keyboard, if they did they would get a blackberry or something. Also with the phone getting ultra bulky like our TP2, it just does not appeal to the general public. I know for a lot of you, you're just so used to a hw keyboard, but if you try out a phone with multitouch screen with big screen, you won't miss a hw kb.
i actually prefer the size of the tp2 to my incredible. i got big hands and the tp2 feels perfect, sometimes i feel the incredible is almost too thin. i know thats contrary to most but thats me. if i do end up keeping the incredible long term i know i will have to get an extended battery, not fot the extra juice but to add some girth to the phone.

in regards to the last part i would have to strongly disagree. yes the sip on a multitouch/capacitive screen is better than a sip on a resistive like the tp2, no sip can replace the feel of a hard keyboard. the feeling of the keys cant be replaced. haptic feedback is a joke imo and how people actually can try to compare it with the feel of real keys is comical. and i dunno about anyone else but i can type on my tp2's kb without even looking cant do that with a sip, multitouch screen or not
Old 05-08-2010, 05:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: verizon

Anothen is becoming a great contributor

i JUST bought my TP2 two months ago with every intention of running a DROID OS on it bc I was coming from a Vogue. I would have absolutely waited the 2 months and bought the Incredible instead had I known it was coming out. Now, I feel sick to my stomach after spending 30 minutes on the phone with Verizon while they tell me 'sorry, we can't help you' and it looks as though there will be no DROID OS on this phone. Now the TP2 is only $79.99 and I paid $199.99 2 months ago- I HATE VERIZON
Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium) - Sold
HTC INCREDIBLE - Current

Last edited by Anothen; 05-08-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

You guys give up too easily.

There is plenty of support for it still, things are still moving, and there is plenty of reason to still be interested in this device (already been hashed out on the forum). Your pessimism is just silly. Everyone here needs to either pitch in to the effort, or go away, IMHO.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

THE-COPS is keeping up the good workTHE-COPS is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to THE-COPS

I'm confident that something good will come out of all devs hard work towards Android development. Just because you don't hear much about any development going on, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Hell, I could be working on something and just not say anything about it...... till I was ready. Not all development is flat out in the open. The TP2 maybe a slower device, but it certainly has a lot of potential. It has good hardware inside, why waste that? And... you know, not everyone can afford a new replacement. Look back a ways, look at all those old pocket pc's still being used today. I'm sure the TP2 will go a long way from the day it was first shipped out of the factory. Give it time, and I bet you Android will be running WITH full sound at least. That part I know, because everyone knows sound is a priority. No sense porting Android over to a TP2 just for experimental reasons. All that hard work just to see if it will run... nah I don't think so. People want more than just an experiment. Now that it has been done, numerous more hours have been put into tweeking the code. I know they aren't giving up there. Someone will always pick up where another left off. It's Linux, or a version of it thereof, the biggest open source OS code available. And theres lots of Linux devs around. Fug Windows.. Linux is the bomb.

And no, FYI I am NOT working on something. It was just an example.. so don't ask... LOL
Old 05-09-2010, 06:02 AM
N00b
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

nevergonnauseth is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to nevergonnauseth Send a message via Yahoo to nevergonnauseth

^I think the lack of knowing of any updates is whats causing such pessimism. I mean we are 11 days away from it being a month without a real update. I mean I know that theres people working on it, i'm just always curious as to what the dev's think about the port. Do they think it will be 100%? Do they have the motivation to move it to such things?
Old 05-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G/TP2

aaron580 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to aaron580

Android for WM phones has never been finished and never will be. Ive been waiting since the mogul then TP now TP2 for one of them to have a fully working android and needless to say....never has/will happen.

OMJ rom
Godmode kernel tearing fixed
Old 05-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron580 View Post
Android for WM phones has never been finished and never will be. Ive been waiting since the mogul then TP now TP2 for one of them to have a fully working android and needless to say....never has/will happen.
Tell that to all the Vogue/Kaisher/Polaris users who are happily running their 100% ported versions, flashed to internal NAND.

The mogul had some trouble due to the lack of available RAM, other than that there's no reason the TP and TP2 won't be ported (the TP already has working sound, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergonnauseth View Post
^I think the lack of knowing of any updates is whats causing such pessimism. I mean we are 11 days away from it being a month without a real update. I mean I know that theres people working on it, i'm just always curious as to what the dev's think about the port. Do they think it will be 100%? Do they have the motivation to move it to such things?
oooh, 11 days form a whole month? Wow. You're right. We should give up hope... :P

Seriously guys, the working ports took *years*, and didn't happen until well after the official EOL of the devices mentioned. How spoiled are we?
It will take time, no doubt. In fact, if anything, we should be impressed at the amount of progress we've made in the last 2 months- the other devices took longer to even get that far, if I recall correctly. But yeah, I guess a lot of us got used to the idea of things moving fast, and this current lull seems to have dropped its popularity (and optimism).

However, speaking to the actual people WORKING ON THIS PORT, they don't share your pessimism (thank g0d), however they did express a lack of interest in keeping the PPCGeeks community updated, and now I'm started to understand why.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:14 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

One thing to note is Android is a lot lighter then WM in terms of usage and if you noticed runs a lot smoother even though it is using an sd card and not internal memory. Generally speaking even with the processor in TP2 Android runs decent enough for most business use. IT gets a little edgy on the 3d acceleration but we still don't have full acceleration. (I don't expect it to match a snapdragon in any way ofcourse)

Eventually the TP2 will be 100% complete or for the most part 99% (since there is always room for improvement). To tell you how long it will be is hard to say. So far there has been an update once a month with a new major feature turn out once every 3 month.

I remember watching Titan and Vogue when the porting initially started and it was a process of 2 years or so to get it to 100% but it eventually did. The TP2 is actually moving at a faster rate then it did back then, but that of course was the first time a port was ever done.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2