PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: i760
Carrier: verizon

speed_mark is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Worth the wait? Will it one day be "complete enough"?

I was wondering if the developers are likely to get everything working eventually ?

I am asking because I am considering sinking $600 on a HTC Incredible, but would be willing to wait if the chances of getting Android fully working on the TP2 were high.

I realize this is like looking at a crystal ball; but based on the developer success on the GSM version, and based on their progress on the CDMA version, does this seem likely?

Your opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark
Old 05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

hoihtah is a n00b
Re: Worth the wait? Will it one day be "complete enough"?

my opinion: no.
when 1ghz+ cpus dominate the market, no one will want to mess around with older slower cpus. it will slowly get phased out.
developing for a non-existing driver is no easy task. and i just don't see anyone wanting to devote so much time to tinker with tp2, when better phones could be had for around $200.

don't get me wrong, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone will come through for tp2. but i'm definitely not holding my breath.

i am planning to hold out until someone releases a 5 row keyboarded android with latest specs.

BTW, i don't know if incredible is enough of an improvement for me to switch from tp2, if i had to pay full price ($600)
Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 PM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man
Pocket PC: HTC Evo & TP2
Carrier: SpRinT

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JDM_SOHC

seems like this progression has already started to phase out... the updates released now an days aren't really fixing anything that's not working, just tweaking the speed of the current version...

Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

animez is keeping up the good workanimez is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.3521/838; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

I would have to agree that $600 for the incredible is not worth it at all. You're loosing the hardware keyboard and overpaying for something that will probably be eclipsed by something else 6 months after it's released.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have a Android with good specs, but I've jumped the gun on my new every tepwo on my last two devices and don't plan on doing it again.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: i760
Carrier: verizon
Threadstarter

speed_mark is a n00b

Thanks for your input; l I am sure glad I asked.

OK, if the Incredible is not worth the $600, I wonder if you have recommendations for an alternative Android phone for Verizon?

Is there some sort of other phone I can pick up second hand that will offer a good user experience with Android 2.1? I don't necessarily need a hard keyboard, but a nice screen is important to me.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & EVO 4G

PhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPhantomApolyon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_mark View Post
I was wondering if the developers are likely to get everything working eventually ?

I am asking because I am considering sinking $600 on a HTC Incredible, but would be willing to wait if the chances of getting Android fully working on the TP2 were high.

I realize this is like looking at a crystal ball; but based on the developer success on the GSM version, and based on their progress on the CDMA version, does this seem likely?

Your opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark
I sincerely doubt we'll ever see a fully functional version of android to run on the CDMA TP2. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see it happen...the likely-hood is just very slim.

Also, I know this has been previously stated but the market IS going to be loaded with 1Ghz devices to develop on very very soon. Why would YOU spend time developing on a device that is so limited because of the processor. The simple answer is that you wouldn't, imo.

Phantom's 6.5/6.5x Modified Lock Screens
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmsohc22 View Post
seems like this progression has already started to phase out... the updates released now an days aren't really fixing anything that's not working, just tweaking the speed of the current version...
Agreed. As Android released more and more bad ass phones, more and more people are switching, some of those likely being developers. I have noticed that while some of us like the idea of Android on our TP2s as a novelty, it seems many want a full replacement for WM. As was mentioned earlier, with so many 1 GHz phones coming out, why even bother with the TP2 development? I know if I were developing this as a replacement, it would be more worth it to me to spend $400+ then 400+ hours.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Boy how things have changed in a matter of a month.
Ask this same question back in late March / Early April and you'd probably get a different answer.

But yes, I agree with the previous posters. It's probably unlikely that it will every be complete. Sound, GPS, and camera all still seem very far off.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo3D

nasa1303 is becoming a great contributor

i just want sound and camera. probably will never happen. the touch pro had sound. it is kind of pointless to me to fool around with it without any speaker function for programs and rings and pretty much everything that you do besides making a phone call. i just stopped using android on my touch pro2 a while back. i just think people are loosing interest with all the new phones comming out.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro Verizon
Carrier: Verizon

matt12eagles is just getting started

well im gonna be the lone wolf and say yes! i honestly need to be 100% complete for everything... its a problem. hopefully developers will have the same issue anyway look at what happened to the vogue! that is a fully fully redone wm and android phone. i bought one about the same time i bought the touch pro just to play around with! There will always be one lone developer looking out for us. hopefully!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2