PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 02:52 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC PPC6800
Carrier: Alltel

skny is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Official and DCD on Alltel - Success Story

Thought I'd make an "Alltel" post for those PPC-6800 user's who want to do the upgrade. I may miss a few steps - but am sure some of this will be helpful to others...

By all means - read some of the sticky's in the Titan Upgrade forum to at least get familiar with what all is going on...and then come back here & give the below a shot!

I had previously been on DCD's 2.26 ROM (I think that's what it was) - so I already had the Olipro 2.40 boot loader on my device. If you don't have it on yet, I'd start there. Should be able to find instructions & the files elsewhere on this forum. You can download it here: http://www.fileshex.com/download.php...a8537925f4c193

Bascially, I followed a lot of the instructions that were listed on DCD's post over at XDA forums. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=376150)

I manually backed up everything on my device to a folder on my PC. Then, downloaded the following and put'em on my pc:

DCD's Kitchen
The Sprint Official ROM (aka RUU_TITAN_SPRINT_WWE_3.35.651.2_RS_TITAN_3.35.04_4 350H_SPCS_AM_Ship.exe)
the .net runtime (aka dotnetfx.exe) <see link above>
the Visual C++ runtime (aka vcredist_x86.exe) <see link above>

I already had ActiveSync installed and running and then connected my device.

I did NOT do a hard reset.

I did NOT do anything special in regards to the Radio component.

I simply ran the Sprint Official ROM - and, when it got to the point where the device said "Tap here" for the screen/stylus alignment - I just left it connected -I DID NOT TAP IT- and started up the Kitchen by running BuildNB.bat

I picked & chose the kitchen items I wanted; I "checked" the following items:

Internet Sharing
Office Mobile 6.1
OneNote Mobile 6.1
Remote Desktop Mobile
Transcriber
Alltel
UC Compatibility
Adobe Reader 2.00.288531
Cyberon VoiceDial 1.2b070905_0
Camera 4.05.29446.00
CommManager - 10 Button Touch
HTC Homeplug 1.12.0.0
HTC Titan Dialer (PhoneCanvas)
HTC QuickGPS 1.00.615.715
HTC Smartdialing 2.5.29097.1 - Titan 3.35
HTC Startup Animation 1.0.814.719
Symbol Pad
HTC X-Button 2.0.31261.1
HTC Zip 1.0.0.1
AND THAT IS IT - NOTHING ELSE WAS CHECKED (yes, I had to actually uncheck a few things. I put this list up for the total noob who has no idea what to start with/choose; this setup may be a good start)

Then I clicked on the green arrow button, let it do its thing - then closed the window by clicking on the X button; This triggered the loadup of the new ROM that I just made. (you can find the actual ROM file in the RUU folder in case you want to put it somewhere for safe keeping for later use)

Next, for grins, I immediately dialed *228 and did option #3 (activate your phone)
Then, I did a *228 and did option #2 (update roaming)

My voice & data, as well as basic texting abilities were all working fine - and no where did anything say "Sprint" on my phone.

Then, I went and downloaded & installed the following which are somewhat necessary, in my opinion:

LennySh_Alltel_Arcsoft_3.0.26.12c.cab <Go to http://www.lennysh.com - then to the Alltel forum and you will find it there>
* * * THIS is what will FIX/ENABLE pic & video messaging * * *

FlashVideoBundle.cab (obvious)

tcpmp.pocketpc.0.72RC1.cab (excellent video player)

HHCv10Final.cab (This is the Home Customizer - go to www.pocketemu.com (I donated a few bucks to this guy - great product! It will download & install the actual HTC Home piece on first run, so you don't have to find & install it until then)

no2chem nueLED_1.5.cab (the BEST way to disable the stupid "service" light - and others if need be http://www.weienterprises.com/nue/ - no overhead - simply run once & you're done)

NoSentMessage.cab (disables the notification after you send a text/pic/video message - you can find it posted somewhere on the forums here)

Standard_Games.cab (cuz I need games to play when i'm on the toilet - bubblebreaker & solitaire)

and PPCimBackup.exe - for future backup considerations (haven't used this yet - but I think it runs right off of your device; just copy it and go)

Lastly - I manually updated my PRL - the list the phone uses for knowing what networks it can work on (or something like that). I went here: http://www.the-answerman.com/sidlist/prl/ and chose 40036

Honestly - this ROM makes my PPC-6800 run fluidly and quickly. Better than the stock, and better than any previous roms. I run TomTom for my GPS - and still need to use the little launcher app to kick off the GPS - but so what. No noticeable time in obtaining satellites or anything, but its never been too bad for me anyway. I've had dedicated GPS devices take upwards of 5 - 10 minutes sometimes. I average about 20-30 seconds on this device.

I don't know what more to say - I think I've said more than enough. I have my device configured exactly the way I want it now - and it works like I expect it to. I am happy.

If you haven't done something like the before - give it a shot. It's really much easier than you may think. Just read everything completely before starting. Its always better to be a step ahead - so you know what to expect and are prepared for the next step.

Besides - Alltel probably won't be releasing a similar update until the end of this year (judging from what they've told me - no eta - and past experience). GPS is so freakin' handy to have right in your phone, everywhere you go - why wait to have it??
Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Titan

blackwolf is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to blackwolf
Re: Sprint Official and DCD on Alltel - Success Story

Nice to see some Alltel posts once in a while. Thanks for the nice writeup. I'll be trying something similar once I get my replacement phone next week.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

shellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to shellguy Send a message via MSN to shellguy Send a message via Yahoo to shellguy

Skny did you install the new raido, ?? hwo does ur gps work, mine takes forever to lock to sats.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC PPC6800
Threadstarter

skny is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellguy View Post
Skny did you install the new raido, ?? hwo does ur gps work, mine takes forever to lock to sats.
Nope - I think I specifically said that I did not do a radio seperately or anything in the beginning of my post. With that said - the latest radio is included/built into the Sprint Official...

My GPS works great & is comparable and just as good as a Garmin dedicated GPS devide I used to have. Location & weather conditions will come into play as far as reception of the signals...sometimes TomTom "finds" my gps device within 2 seconds - other times it takes 30-60 seconds...and then the actual lock on of the satellites can take anywhere from a minute or less to 5-7 minutes...lots of variables come into play on it. If I've already been using the GPS on a particular day - it comes up faster through the rest of the day...
Old 03-15-2008, 11:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

blueglide is just getting started

Nice write up...I'm on Alltel also and had to do alot of searching prior to flashing to see what other Alltel users had done. WeaponX was also very helpful. I used the same procedure as you but I flashed to a stock phone so I installed Olipro 2.4 first. I didn't have to re-provision my phone at all.....all my EPST settings remained and everything worked immediately after the flash. In case anyone wonders....WMWiFiRouter, Bluetooth, Internet Sharing, GPS, Windows Live Search, Google Maps, Holux GPS Viewer, all work fine with new radio and DCD ROM (3.0) on Alltel. Also no Sprint logos anywhere or roaming issues...DO NOT LET SPRINT CUSTOMIZATIONS RUN.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Q, PPC-6700, PPC-6800, PPC-6900
Carrier: Alltel, and Cricket

midiology is keeping up the good workmidiology is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by skny View Post
Thought I'd make an "Alltel" post for those PPC-6800 user's who want to do the upgrade. I may miss a few steps - but am sure some of this will be helpful to others...

By all means - read some of the sticky's in the Titan Upgrade forum to at least get familiar with what all is going on...and then come back here & give the below a shot!

I had previously been on DCD's 2.26 ROM (I think that's what it was) - so I already had the Olipro 2.40 boot loader on my device. If you don't have it on yet, I'd start there. Should be able to find instructions & the files elsewhere on this forum. You can download it here: http://www.fileshex.com/download.php...a8537925f4c193

Bascially, I followed a lot of the instructions that were listed on DCD's post over at XDA forums. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=376150)

I manually backed up everything on my device to a folder on my PC. Then, downloaded the following and put'em on my pc:

DCD's Kitchen
The Sprint Official ROM (aka RUU_TITAN_SPRINT_WWE_3.35.651.2_RS_TITAN_3.35.04_4 350H_SPCS_AM_Ship.exe)
the .net runtime (aka dotnetfx.exe) <see link above>
the Visual C++ runtime (aka vcredist_x86.exe) <see link above>

I already had ActiveSync installed and running and then connected my device.

I did NOT do a hard reset.

I did NOT do anything special in regards to the Radio component.

I simply ran the Sprint Official ROM - and, when it got to the point where the device said "Tap here" for the screen/stylus alignment - I just left it connected -I DID NOT TAP IT- and started up the Kitchen by running BuildNB.bat

I picked & chose the kitchen items I wanted; I "checked" the following items:

Internet Sharing
Office Mobile 6.1
OneNote Mobile 6.1
Remote Desktop Mobile
Transcriber
Alltel
UC Compatibility
Adobe Reader 2.00.288531
Cyberon VoiceDial 1.2b070905_0
Camera 4.05.29446.00
CommManager - 10 Button Touch
HTC Homeplug 1.12.0.0
HTC Titan Dialer (PhoneCanvas)
HTC QuickGPS 1.00.615.715
HTC Smartdialing 2.5.29097.1 - Titan 3.35
HTC Startup Animation 1.0.814.719
Symbol Pad
HTC X-Button 2.0.31261.1
HTC Zip 1.0.0.1
AND THAT IS IT - NOTHING ELSE WAS CHECKED (yes, I had to actually uncheck a few things. I put this list up for the total noob who has no idea what to start with/choose; this setup may be a good start)

Then I clicked on the green arrow button, let it do its thing - then closed the window by clicking on the X button; This triggered the loadup of the new ROM that I just made. (you can find the actual ROM file in the RUU folder in case you want to put it somewhere for safe keeping for later use)

Next, for grins, I immediately dialed *228 and did option #3 (activate your phone)
Then, I did a *228 and did option #2 (update roaming)

My voice & data, as well as basic texting abilities were all working fine - and no where did anything say "Sprint" on my phone.

Then, I went and downloaded & installed the following which are somewhat necessary, in my opinion:

LennySh_Alltel_Arcsoft_3.0.26.12c.cab <Go to http://www.lennysh.com - then to the Alltel forum and you will find it there>
* * * THIS is what will FIX/ENABLE pic & video messaging * * *

FlashVideoBundle.cab (obvious)

tcpmp.pocketpc.0.72RC1.cab (excellent video player)

HHCv10Final.cab (This is the Home Customizer - go to www.pocketemu.com (I donated a few bucks to this guy - great product! It will download & install the actual HTC Home piece on first run, so you don't have to find & install it until then)

no2chem nueLED_1.5.cab (the BEST way to disable the stupid "service" light - and others if need be http://www.weienterprises.com/nue/ - no overhead - simply run once & you're done)

NoSentMessage.cab (disables the notification after you send a text/pic/video message - you can find it posted somewhere on the forums here)

Standard_Games.cab (cuz I need games to play when i'm on the toilet - bubblebreaker & solitaire)

and PPCimBackup.exe - for future backup considerations (haven't used this yet - but I think it runs right off of your device; just copy it and go)

Lastly - I manually updated my PRL - the list the phone uses for knowing what networks it can work on (or something like that). I went here: http://www.the-answerman.com/sidlist/prl/ and chose 40036

Honestly - this ROM makes my PPC-6800 run fluidly and quickly. Better than the stock, and better than any previous roms. I run TomTom for my GPS - and still need to use the little launcher app to kick off the GPS - but so what. No noticeable time in obtaining satellites or anything, but its never been too bad for me anyway. I've had dedicated GPS devices take upwards of 5 - 10 minutes sometimes. I average about 20-30 seconds on this device.

I don't know what more to say - I think I've said more than enough. I have my device configured exactly the way I want it now - and it works like I expect it to. I am happy.

If you haven't done something like the before - give it a shot. It's really much easier than you may think. Just read everything completely before starting. Its always better to be a step ahead - so you know what to expect and are prepared for the next step.

Besides - Alltel probably won't be releasing a similar update until the end of this year (judging from what they've told me - no eta - and past experience). GPS is so freakin' handy to have right in your phone, everywhere you go - why wait to have it??
I guess after reading this, I must have either misunderstood The order in which you did this or something,,

but you stated that you installed the sprint rom on your 6800 let it get to the screen alignment stage, then started doing the kitchen?

when the rom first came out I tried to load this up using olipro and the official rom from sprint still wouldnt load even with olipro 2.4,
thus causing me to have to cook the rom first..

am I right on this? or do i need to find better crack to smoke, lol
Old 03-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

kurschan is a n00b

I upgraded from the stock ROM, my 6800 had been relocked when I went back to stock a while ago. I tried to install the sprint RUU first but it would give a "VENDER ID ERROR". It worked fine after going to the 2.40 bootloader then running the sprint RUU.

In regards to the GPS issue, the cooked ROM has GPS defaulted to aGPS assistance in the registry. I had much better lock times after enabling full standalone mode. In aGPS, it would find satellites, get a fix, then reset a bunch of times before finally getting a solid fix. After making the reg change, it gets a fix in less than 30 seconds, usually shorter.

I'm not sure what thread I found this in to give proper credit, but here it is:
to enable full standalone operation with no server assistance that will work in flight mode or no service flawlessly (with a lock just as quick as when in agps mode,YMMV) (technically this will work over seas also)

go to HKLM > SOFTWARE > HTC > SUPL AGPS >

change EnableAGPS to 0
change EnableGPSSmartMode to 0
change GPSMode to 1

and soft reset, that will set the mogul to operate in full standalone mode only,
Old 03-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

shellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to shellguy Send a message via MSN to shellguy Send a message via Yahoo to shellguy

ok now I b feel really stupid nut how do you prevend the sprint stuff from loading. by rebooting the phone after install? also are yall able to send and receive pic msgs on the new rom w/ alltel. im having issues with the no2chem 5049 which I allowed to install sprint stuff. oops. I installed the alltel mms pkg but can't receive pics hope this will help.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Black69ta is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Black69ta Send a message via Yahoo to Black69ta

I'm an idiot too! I let the Sprint Ext_ROM run after installing the Official 3.35 Rom and now my MSL is wrong and my DATA doesn't work I even went in to an Allhail store an looked at EPST on the instore phone and imitated that but it doesn't change the MSL so DATA and *228 doesn't work. and I'm having trouble using the Relocker and getting a Official Alltel 2.14 radio and OS ROM. any help would be appreciated
Old 03-17-2008, 06:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

blueglide is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellguy View Post
ok now I b feel really stupid nut how do you prevend the sprint stuff from loading. by rebooting the phone after install? also are yall able to send and receive pic msgs on the new rom w/ alltel. im having issues with the no2chem 5049 which I allowed to install sprint stuff. oops. I installed the alltel mms pkg but can't receive pics hope this will help.
To prevent the Sprint customizations from running.....after flashing the stock Sprint ROM on your phone (which should already have Olipro 2.4 on it) the flashing process will complete and you'll see the animated Sprint logo, etc....the screen will display a message to 'tap' the screen to begin the customization process...DO NOT TAP THE SCREEN. Leave everything as is...the phone will re-establish an activesync connection.....let it sync...don't unplug your USB cable or reset or anything. Start your rom update utility (RUU) with your custom ROM and flash like normal. There are a bunch of threads here and on xda-developers about folks who let the Sprint stuff run on their phones and now they're having difficulty getting rid of the Sprint stuff and re-provisioning their phones for their own carriers. There are a couple good write ups to get your phone back to stock and start over but it sounds like several had to contact tech support and get their accounts straightened out. I don't do pic msgs so I can't help you there....DCD's kitchen has a couple options for those programs.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development