PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 03:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung
Carrier: VZW

battlemac is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking about the Omnia

I currently have the Samsung i760 and enjoy the phone a good bit But, I am thinking about getting a new phone. The Omnia is going for about $15 new, which is a very enticing price and the fact that you can get a custom WM6.5 rom make its a bit more attractive(specially since I don't have that option on my i760).
Does WM6.5 make it faster and more efficient? I ask since this is a bit of an older phone. Additionally, how does the speed and device(w/6.1 or 6.5) compare to i760? How is the accuracy of the screen(the i760 wasn't that good)? Finally at this point is it really worth getting the Omnia or should I save and put my money towards a device like the HTC Eris at $100 or the Omnia II(when the prices lowers to $150)? Thank you.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

cg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Thinking about the Omnia

well i just got the Eris. It beats the Omnia in all ways. Its very fast, hadn't experienced any type of lag, there are TONS of apps. It's OS is pretty good.(just waitin for the 2.0 upgrade). I thought the Omnia was pretty good. Espescially if you make your own roms or choose some of the good 1's out there. Thats pretty much the only advantage the Omnia has over the Eris right now, and thats the roms. Thats ok tho because the Eris is pretty good and NOT branded with Verizon apps and any of that type of BS. The sense UI is great. Better then Touchwiz. The full screen weather is pretty cool as well. The eris has a pretty great response multi-touch screen as well. Very responsive and accurate. I'd say go with the Eris. IF your due for an upgrade, you can get it for 49.99 at Mobiledia(thats what I did). Thats will hold me over for a few months and then i'll reevaluate in gettin the O2 if Leo(if it comes to Verizon)
Old 11-26-2009, 03:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

battlemac is a n00b

I can get it for 50 at best buy as i have a gift card if i wanted to. But, I want to move to Eris but the sound quality that isn't up to Samsung's sq, and never using Android OS makes me want to say with WM. But, then at the same time Android has a lot of potential coming to is.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia1
Carrier: Verizon

mark elmore is keeping up the good workmark elmore is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Omnia1: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

it would be a good upgrade but probably not the best. there are lots of choices that are more powerful and faster than the O1 or O2 out now with more on the near horizon.
if I was a technogeek Id be jonesing bad right now but my O1 is still more than I need
Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: verizon

rfarrah is keeping up the good workrfarrah is keeping up the good work

I agree with Elmore. Remember, you are more less setting things in stone for 2 years. You would need to decide if the low price was worth being about a year behind in technology. Having said that, the O1 is an excellent phone with many features that still beat phones coming out today.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

battlemac is a n00b

I guess I was being swayed by the fact it has 8gb of space + a microsd card slot, and the usually well rated Samsung SQ. However, I was able to get the Eris for under $99 at Best Buy(about how much VZW was selling the Omnia for).
Old 11-29-2009, 09:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: verizon

rfarrah is keeping up the good workrfarrah is keeping up the good work

Enjoy!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZW Imagio/ Alltel Touch Pro/ VZW Omnia i910

bam0112 is keeping up the good workbam0112 is keeping up the good workbam0112 is keeping up the good work

My sister in law was in town this weekend & is jonesing for a new phone. She was sold on the enV 3 (she has an enV 2 right now). I gave her my unactivated Omnia hooked up to Wifi to play with for a while and now she is torn.

Took her to the local Verizon store & played with all the new phones. After messing with all the new stuff, I realized there isn't anything out right now that makes me "have to" upgrade to the latest & greatest. Almost everything offered in these new phones is already available on this site & XDA. My touch pro was running sense 2.5 this weekend (until I flashed back to my stable ROM), & my Omnia is rocking SPB mobile shell 3.5 right now. Even though the Omnia isn't bleeding edge anymore, this is still a powerful smart phone.

Verizon is selling the Omnia on their web site for $15 today. That is an amzing deal for a phone that powerful. If you don't need to have the newest gadget then go for it. I paid damn near $200 for this phone the day verizon released it....and even though I prefer my Touch Pro right now, I could easily switch back to my Omnia for the rest of my contract & have no regrets (and just might if I keep going through TPs...keyboards keep dying).

Just my 2 cents....This thing is a steal
Old 11-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC PPC 6800

JustAnothaGuy is a n00b

i personally would wait.. i swapped to the Omnia from the Touch Pro... long story happened with the alltel to verizon crap... The omnia is a good phone but if i had the opportunity to upgrade to another phone personally i perfer a keyboard and a higher resolution screen.. I would pass on the omnia with so many newer phones on the horizon... The phone companies seem to love pumping out new phones every other month
Old 11-29-2009, 08:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia1

mark elmore is keeping up the good workmark elmore is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Omnia1: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

mobile shell,mobile keypad and Phonex made mine my uber phone. if i find a tv remote app (ir capability is built into phone)it will be the last phone i buy for quite a while
OP i hope you enjoy your new phone. i like it lots better than the Droid
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia