PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 08:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

hop2000 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What should I do...two dead pixels?

So I noticed about two days ago that my Omnia has two dead pixels. I noticed it when I turned the phone was off and the battery was charging. It only seems to be noticable when viewed on a black screen, but now that I know it is there is is ugging me. I'm guessing they were there since I had the phone (about a week and a half) and just didn't notice it until now.

My first question is has anyone else noticed any dead pixels on their screens? If you're not sure, power the phone down and charge it, when the battery charging screen pops up take a close look at the screen for any discolored pixels.

My second questions is what do you think I should do? It is less than two weeks old, so I should be able to return it to a store and get a new one, no questions asked. However, other than this the phone works great and I finally got it set up exactly the way I want it. If others have had this issue than I can deal with it. If not than I might have to consider bringing it back and getting a new one. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: What should I do...two dead pixels?

I haven't noticed any pixels dead on my Omnia, but if I were you I would do a full backup of the device and My Memory, save them to a memory card + your PC (just in case) and then take it back!! There is no reason in the world why you should have a faulty device, and that is a manufacturer fault that should get replaced. It may not bother you now, but who's to say you don't have a bad screen and in a years time you have a huge streak of dead pixels accross your screen and you have to pay top-dollar to have it replaced/fixed?

Just my two cents, your the customer, get what you paid for!!!! Let us know how it goes, and thanks for the heads-up on a possible issue!!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

So I thought about and you're right syrguy, I just bought the damn thing and even if it is only a VERY minor issue that is barely noticable, I shouldn't expect anything less than a perfectly working device. I just got off the phone with Verizon. They are going to ship me out a brand new phone that I will have on Monday. No charge for shipping or device exchange.

In addition, on the VZW webiste they now offer the Omnia with a $70 instant rebate rather than the mail-in, so I asked if they could apply the $70 as I haven't sent in the rebate yet. They gave me a "one time" instant credit on my account for $70. Now I only wonder if I can still send in the mail-in rebate and get the $70 debit card from them as well. I figure it won't hurt to try.

As far as backing up, I have PPC PIMBackup right now on my phone. Does anyone know what the "custom" tag will backup if I select it? I'm guessing it's probably just custom presets and not anything like programs or reg edits. Let me know.

Last edited by hop2000; 01-23-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

Does PIMBackup work for you? I tried it on my Omnia and when I restored the backup, everything under the sun repeatedly crashed on soft reset.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
Does PIMBackup work for you? I tried it on my Omnia and when I restored the backup, everything under the sun repeatedly crashed on soft reset.
I haven't tried to load a backup yet. Maybe I shouldn't based on what you are saying. What are you using as a backup?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I use SPB and eventhough there is an Omnia file that conflicts with it the backups are complete and the restores work great. I have heard good things about RESCO as well.

I like finding free apps/alternatives as much as the next guy, but a solid backup app is one I don't hesitate to purchase and suggest to others to as well!!

P.S. They both have trial periods that should allow you to do at least what you need to now and then decide if you want to purchase it!!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

I use SPB. The file mentioned is POCKETFS.SYS and all backup apps choke on it I believe. It doesnt need to be backed up anyway. In SPB, I simply add an exclusion to that file. No errors and because of that, it auto soft resets as needed per scheduled backup.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

Thanks for posting the file name!!! I was trying to remember it....it has been so long since I added it to the exception list I couldn't remember!!!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: samsung omnia i910

steve austin is just getting started

I had the same problem. It was irritating as heck watching a movie. Though it was tiny my eyes would always focus in on it. Do what I did. Take it back. Too much money for even a minute imperfection to happen to a new phone.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
VIP Member

Amen....you spend that much money (actually I don't care if it is free after rebates) you should have a 100% working device in your hands!!!!

BTW.....Any resolution to this issue???
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia