PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 09:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

DrRoger is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any hope of GPS unlock for Verizon Omnia?

Hi,
I've been using a V'Zon Touch, with a GPS Fix from the Internet. Its so great to be able to use Windows Live Search! I was visiting a town, and needed a pharmacy, and in a couple of minutes found one near me.

Any hope of the Omnia getting a GPS unlock? I know someone who loves it and plans to get one soon. Will the Valhalla designed for Windows 6.1 GPS fix work on the Omnia?

THx,
Roger
Old 11-30-2008, 05:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Any hope of GPS unlock for Verizon Omnia?

No promises, but I am very closely following a handful of threads looking into this!! As soon as anthing comes out I will pass it along!!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6700 - WM6.1

bwonish is a n00b

Guys, check out this link, hopefully it can help: http://www.modaco.com/content/smartp...on-smartphone/
Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 AM
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I am following that thread (among others) as well!!! So far nothing seems to work, but I figure somebody will break through!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Saga i770
Carrier: VZW

michaelk is a n00b

unfortunately I think it's more complex then the older devices- seems the newer verizon countermeasures encrypt the data and the like.

see my post here about the saga:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47074

maybe the saga and omnia both would be helped by the same hack if it's ever found...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:53 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Saga i770
Carrier: VZW

michaelk is a n00b

have you guys tried the valhalla xv6800 MR1 fix?

wont work on the saga but maybe you guys get lucky...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=424387
Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
have you guys tried the valhalla xv6800 MR1 fix?

wont work on the saga but maybe you guys get lucky...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=424387
Thanks for the suggestion, but it has been tried and no-go!!

I am still hoping...I know someone will get it, maybe it will take flashing to a new cooked ROM, but I am sure it can eventually be done!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Lurker

blahx is a n00b

Has anyone attempted to see if the two programs in the windows folder (when you have show all files selected) that are named gps* do anything, or if you run them will the gps work? I have had no luck
Old 12-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO3D
Carrier: SERO-P

lafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stuff

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49933

progress has been made for the touch pro... perhaps a similar fix would work for omnia.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:26 PM
VIP Member

Actually I didn't know if anyone has seen this in here yet, but there is hope VZW has re-thought their decision on GPS (no worries though, all the forums are still on a patch untill then!!!!

Verizon Relents! GPS to Open Up Next Year!

Ok, we're totally not going to take credit for this, but it looks like people who have joined our "http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/editorials/help_us_save_gps_on_windows_mo.html" are receiving a stock reply that's looking, well, good! User efudd sends us his reply from the Big V:
Verizon Wireless, like all carriers, orders devices to meet certain specifications inclusive of features. Each of these specs is tested to determine if it meets our performance goals. There are instances when the phone will pass our extensive testing process but a specific feature may not meet the standard. We will often choose to introduce the phone without that feature but ask that the manufacturer come back to us with revised software that has to be tested to make sure the service works the same across our entire wireless footprint --from Maine to Hawaii. In the case of open standalone GPS, we are partnering with the Windows Mobile device manufacturers to provide a software upgrade that will add this capability to the existing assisted GPS capability. This is a complex development project to provide open standalone GPS while maintaining the assisted GPS capability with the level of performance and security that our customers expect. The recently introduced Windows Mobile devices including Omnia, Saga, and Touch Pro are targeted to add open standalone GPS in the 1st half of 2009.

Steve Schwed
Verizon Wireless
HQ Executive Relations Supervisor
Emphasis ours above. That's the Omnia, Saga, and Touch Pro, yo. That's complete, open, standalone GPS. Heck, we're even going to grant the point (because we should) that implementing GPS on the latest generation of fully-integrated chips is really tough these days. Still, chalk this one up under the Win column.
This isn't WMExperts taking credit though, because, well, it looks like our strategy of physical, snail-mail email wasn't the right strategy (Thanks for nothing, US Postal service -- at least when email fails, we get an error message). This was all you guys, the heroes. Heck, maybe Verizon meant to do this from the get-go (they have been claiming they intend on being more open), but a little pressure doesn't hurt!
Big ups to our readers and big ups to Verizon for doing the right thing.

Found here:
http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ve...o_open_up.html
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia