PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Noblest is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Any hope of GPS unlock for Verizon Omnia?

Newbie here,

the Omnia is my first smart phone, that being said I have alot of questions. First off, is it possible to unlock a Verizon Omnia in general? Second, is there a thread or website that will explain alot of what I read here. Flashing, ROMs, hard and soft reset, etc....

Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction... Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

As far as unlocking the Omnia, I am not sure, but I am sure someone in here will have an answer.

For everything else....basically whatever you need to know can be found right here in the forums! Just look around, see if something jumps out at you. For anything specific you need to know just do a quick search in the forums and if you don't find it just ask, there are a lot of very smart + helpful members in here!!!

The one things you did mention.....ROMs are the basic programming on the PPC that runs the device, like Windows Vista is to a PC. It is locked out, and you can't use the memory allotted to it. A kitchen is a term used in refference to the programming used to create (or cook) new ROMs....this can't be done on the Omnia yet, but whenever VZW/Samsung release a packaged ROM update people will be able to take it apart and build ROMs they want....adding apps they use all the time or taking out some they don't use and could help speed up the device if taken out.

A soft reset is the little hole next to the power button on top of the Omnia and basically it restarts the PPC, refreshing the system and freeing up memory you may not realize is in use.

A hard reset is done when you want to wipe the device and set it back to 'out of the box' status. There are a couple ways of doing this that are described elsewhere, but Samsung made it easy by placing a hard reset app int he settings.

As I mentioned, there is a lot to read/learn here, but don't be afraid to ask, no questions are too silly or miniscule.....that is what were here for!!

P.S. Welcome to the community!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VZW Omnia

jbharris is a n00b

The Verizon press release was a delay tactic to keep us from cracking the GPS on our own. As far as I can tell, progress towards a non-Verizon work around has completely stalled. This was brilliant on their behalf, as any momentum gained early on has now most likely been lost, and the experts in here and other places have moved on to other devices & other interesting problems. Does anyone else have any evidence of progress on this front since the annoucement by VZW?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 02-20-2009, 02:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Droid X

Peaches is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Peaches Send a message via Yahoo to Peaches

I'd love to know too. My NE2 is coming up in a few weeks & I love the look and feel of the Omnia - but I'm not willing to give up my GPS

Treo650, Treo700, xv6700, HTC Touch, Omnia i910, HTC Touch Pro 2, Droid 2, Droid X
Old 02-20-2009, 02:23 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Send me one and I will open it up like a ***** on dollar night. It uses very similiar chips that the Tian, Vougue, Touch Pro and SMT 5800....

I think I know what needs to be done but I have no way to test ;c(

Send me one and i will unlock it ;c)

Donations always accepted but never expected!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: verizon

aleis is keeping up the good workaleis is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
Send me one and I will open it up like a ***** on dollar night. It uses very similiar chips that the Tian, Vougue, Touch Pro and SMT 5800....

I think I know what needs to be done but I have no way to test ;c(

Send me one and i will unlock it ;c)
im ready to donate!
actually, anyone willing do an insurance claim??
lost phone...?
pay me the deductible and i`ll do it

Phandroid!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

ebross67 is just getting started

I read somewhere end of 1st quarter of 2009 (March). I don't remember where I saw it, but if I find it again I'll post it.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Patience Daniel san...the GPS Unlock is coming...took way longer then 3 months to get the XV6800 and Mogul GPS enabled....why are we so Impatient with a phone that is new to the market...as far as I know i have never seen VZW say they were going to do something and they not do it...it may take longer then they said but they eventually get things done...

I know u all probably think i'm nuts to show so much faith in these extortionist's we know as VZW but hey I'm not turning in my Omnia cuz I don't want to pay for GPS...so I will wait...
Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

To say its a stall to keep people from unlocking it is paranoia. Do you believe in conspiracy theories too? The thing that concerns me is that only one person from Verizon has ever been shown to say that an unlock is coming, and that one person might be full a crap.

However, from a PR standpoint, it would be stupid of VZW not to follow through due to the explosion of interest as his statement spread across the internet. It could even get them in a lawsuit if they backed out now. At best, they would hurt their revenues by losing current and future customers by backpedalling.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mobile phone info
Carrier: VZW

kdkinc is a n00b

Its amazing with all the program hackers out their that can crack into 128 bit security files and fire walls .
Maybe Verizon's GPS lock codes should be guarding our nucular secrets !!!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia