PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Franken Pre Plus/Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

brack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Epic or Evo 3D

I recently purchase the epic 4g and waiting for it to arrive. I called sprint and got my upgrade reset so now I can get the evo 3d for 199, same price I paid for the epic. What I was wondering is, would anyone who has the epic trade it for the evo 3d or is the epic a better phone. Should I send the epic back and get the evo 3d? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Epic or Evo 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by brack21 View Post
I recently purchase the epic 4g and waiting for it to arrive. I called sprint and got my upgrade reset so now I can get the evo 3d for 199, same price I paid for the epic. What I was wondering is, would anyone who has the epic trade it for the evo 3d or is the epic a better phone. Should I send the epic back and get the evo 3d? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
You paid 199$ for an Epic? best buy were giving them away for free on 2 year contracts....

There is a review up of the evo 3d:

HTC EVO 3D review -- Engadget

As for which phone is better...its hard to say..depends on your needs..of course the Evo 3d has advantages as Epic is already a 1 year old phone..

Question boils down to do you plan on using your keyboard? and what do you use your phone for overall?

The 3d has more rom and ram, and a dual core processor..which is hard to beat :/

I will overall though suggest that if you do keep your Epic give it back anyways and get one for free from best buy (if they still have that promo)

Personally though if keyboard isn't important to you I'd suggest waiting on the Samsung Within...its the Sprint version of the Galaxy S 2 which at the moment the best specced phone..

BTW I'll leave this thread here for a day and afterwards I'm moving it to comparison forum.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:18 AM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I have the epic and wouldn't leave it for the evo 3d. Yes the evo 3d specs are much nicer but like gten said epic has been out already for a year. Same thing with the 3d next year it will be an old phone as well.

I think u should look at what ur needs are and if u can do without the keyboard.

+1 on the samsung within (sgs2) I'm waiting for that one as well but hopefully sprint doesn't over loaded with crap and hopefully they don't remove the tv out function

Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

brack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuff

Thanks guys appreciate the information. I mainly use my phone for free wifi tethering first. I guess I should add that, I never had an up to date phone. I've always gotten a phone that's been out a year before I got it. This is the first time I'd be able to get a phone as soon as it came out and that's up to date. I know phones go out of date almost as soon as they come out. I have the TP2, now and it works great for my needs, its just seeing all this dual core stuff, has got me excited. I do really appreciate the information. I don't use the keyboard that much at all.
How long before the Within suppose to come out. Maybe I should send the epic back and wait a month or 2 to see what comes out. Thanks again guys, and sorry about posting it here. I just thought that I'd get more feedback by posting it here.

Last edited by brack21; 06-16-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by brack21 View Post
Thanks guys appreciate the information. I mainly use my phone for free wifi tethering first. I guess I should add that, I never had an up to date phone. I've always gotten a phone that's been out a year before I got it. This is the first time I'd be able to get a phone as soon as it came out and that's up to date. I know phones go out of date almost as soon as they come out. I have the TP2, now and it works great for my needs, its just seeing all this dual core stuff, has got me excited. I do really appreciate the information. I don't use the keyboard that much at all.
How long before the Within suppose to come out. Maybe I should send the epic back and wait a month or 2 to see what comes out. Thanks again guys, and sorry about posting it here. I just thought that I'd get more feedback by posting it here.
Rumors are july for the within..

If tethering is what you use your phone for then it doesnt make too much of a difference new phone or not..other then new phone may take time to root and etc...and maybe infrastructur tethering on older phones..but its liek a month thing..

Last edited by gTen; 06-16-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
VIP MVP

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff

if your main thing about the phone is being able to use the wifi tethering and not all the other functions these phones are capable of doing and you want to be able to have the latest phone just released then i think you should send back the epic keep the tp2 (which is a great phone just a slow processor on it) for a while longer and wait for the Evo 3d or the galaxy Within (which is better than the evo 3d imo) which would be the latest and greatest. All the hype of the dual core phones is that if you use your phone for multi tasking and being able to run awesome games on it then thats what you want but if all your looking for is wifi and make/receive calls, sms,mms, email then your tp2 is more than enough .. thats just my opinion

gten any idea if sprint is going to remove the tv out function on it because thats going to be a deal breaker for me cause one of the things i plan to use it for is to be able to watch everything on my phone through my big screen. Ill still get it but from another carrier.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
VIP MVP

EDIT: my bad double post

Last edited by masetas; 06-16-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:36 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
gten any idea if sprint is going to remove the tv out function on it because thats going to be a deal breaker for me cause one of the things i plan to use it for is to be able to watch everything on my phone through my big screen. Ill still get it but from another carrier.
well it has improved DLNA I hear so you can also stream drm content now to your drm compatible tv box...

Though I dont think they will disable it this time around...on the Epic we had 3.5mm out which is Analog..they were scared of that as you cant control Analog content so things like Sprint TV content could be stolen etc..we had usb->hdmi too but its a different circuit board and I'm guessing they were too lazy to write drivers for something that few will use. In this case its a Standard MHL port..aka if the Evo 3d can do it..I dont see why the Within won't...
Old 06-16-2011, 07:34 PM
VIP MVP

*Just noticed the douple post above my bad for that*

I used the DLNA thing since my tv is compatible (it better be its a samsung) but that sucked because i could only watch the videos or hear the songs already stored on my epic and not even all videos were viewable.

Is there any other way to watch on my tv what is on my epic besides DLNA?

Also so what did the op decide too do ?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Sorry guys. I'm traveling back from a trip and haven't been able to check back. I really appreciate all the info it was very helpful. I decided I'm going to send the phone back and wait for the within to come out. Hopefully it will be able to be rooted soon after for tethering. I think with a better phone ill be doing more gaming and multi tasking on it. The tp2 is a great phone for tethering and phone calls just slow processor. Thanks again guys. I really do appreciate it.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison