PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 02:06 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung epic + Samsung galaxy Tab
Carrier: sprint

ajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Centro battery in palm pre

umm why would the battery damage it? Their the same battery just model numbers changed. Same connectors same voltage. Your all believing big business because you rather spend an extra 5 dollars for a battery that says its for the palm pre when all it is a re branded centro battery.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 AM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajac View Post
umm why would the battery damage it? Their the same battery just model numbers changed. Same connectors same voltage. Your all believing big business because you rather spend an extra 5 dollars for a battery that says its for the palm pre when all it is a re branded centro battery.
The battery will not damage the device because of voltage but rather it's inability, because the lack of an installed chip, to properly set the device to sleep mode. Thus shortening the overall life of the device.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmanc View Post
The battery will not damage the device because of voltage but rather it's inability, because the lack of an installed chip, to properly set the device to sleep mode. Thus shortening the overall life of the device.
Yeah, I'm not buying that story... Probably what happened is that in a few isolated incidents, centro batteries caused issues in the Pre, so it became official policy to not support them.

Why would the battery itself have anything to do with whether or not the Pre can 'sleep?' That makes no sense. I don't think the phone hardware communicates to the battery at all... It's simply positive, negative, and another connection to test the battery voltage/etc, no serial communications.

The only 'smarts' in these batteries, as far as I know, is to regulate charging, to prevent exploding, and to increase battery life.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul --> Touch Pro(Running PhantomRom)

GREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to GREY.FOXX Send a message via Skype™ to GREY.FOXX

Quote:
Rather play the safe route and pay the extra $5. Sometimes being cheap causes you more money. Not saying anything will happen, but if something does happen, you may have to buy a whole new phone just because the battery.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.FOXX View Post
Rather play the safe route and pay the extra $5. Sometimes being cheap causes you more money. Not saying anything will happen, but if something does happen, you may have to buy a whole new phone just because the battery.
right. using the correct battery only makes sense.

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung epic + Samsung galaxy Tab
Carrier: sprint

ajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
right. using the correct battery only makes sense.
except the centro battery is the correct battery its exactly the same lol Only diffrence is one says one thing and the other says the other lol get a voltage checker out heck shows the the voltage the same their only getting you to spend extra money when you dont have to.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:58 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Worst thing you can do to an electronic is feed it too little power. I agree with this 100%.

also have a little conspiracy theorist in me and think that they may have made up the "Chip" thing to keep selling pre batteries instead of people getting knock off centro batts.

While I can't say which way I would go, if I had Centro batts in a pre I'd go ahead and make sure I had the insurance haha.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

Quote:
except the centro battery is the correct battery its exactly the same lol Only diffrence is one says one thing and the other says the other lol get a voltage checker out heck shows the the voltage the same their only getting you to spend extra money when you dont have to.
lol im not buying anything i work in a corporate store, but i see where everyone is coming from. but if i have a pre battery and centro battery right next to eachother im using the pre battery. cant argue that tho
Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacounty View Post
While I can't say which way I would go, if I had Centro batts in a pre I'd go ahead and make sure I had the insurance haha.

I think this device is too new not to have insurance even if I didn't plan on sticking a Centro battery in it.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:46 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
I think this device is too new not to have insurance even if I didn't plan on sticking a Centro battery in it.
Very true!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre