PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 05:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC
Carrier: Provider

sfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Centro battery in palm pre

The voltage is the same. I seriously doubt you are going to hurt your Pre using a Centro battery. I don't see people reporting their Pre is running hot to the touch in their pocket when using a Centro battery. At worse the Centro battery might not support some super low battery mode the Pre might be enabled to use and your battery might last a few minutes less than the Pre standard battery, but who gives a crap, you'll still need to charge every day.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:01 PM
ott
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

ott is keeping up the good workott is keeping up the good work

OK, so do NOT use Centro batteries in the Pre, their is a different chip set in the Pre batteries allowing them to work better with the Touchstone Chargers. Like most people are saying, the Centro batteries may work for now or temporarily, but it is not advised to use them in the Pre. How much money did you just spend on your phone and now your looking at possibly ruining it for some cheap worthless battery!? The Centro batteries have one of the highest failing rates for any battery I have ever seen! It's kind of ridiculous to be honest... Sooo, if you want to be smart, and do the right thing and save you a headache and possibly a large sum of money down the road, stick to the Pre batteries.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ott View Post
OK, so do NOT use Centro batteries in the Pre, their is a different chip set in the Pre batteries allowing them to work better with the Touchstone Chargers. Like most people are saying, the Centro batteries may work for now or temporarily, but it is not advised to use them in the Pre. How much money did you just spend on your phone and now your looking at possibly ruining it for some cheap worthless battery!? The Centro batteries have one of the highest failing rates for any battery I have ever seen! It's kind of ridiculous to be honest... Sooo, if you want to be smart, and do the right thing and save you a headache and possibly a large sum of money down the road, stick to the Pre batteries.

You are ABSOLUTELY right about the failure rate on the centro battery. I've seen more of those just completely stop working that anything else I've ever seen with any other model

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 07-13-2009, 02:08 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: SPRINT TP2

DSIMKO is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to DSIMKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajac View Post
all rumors are untrue we been using 2 centro batteries for our pre and so far NO issues. Only isue we had was when we got them initially and the pre showed a question mark but once the batteries were charged we've had 0 problems. Goes to sleep lasts longer on those then the original battery so we happy.
I am a store Manager for Sprint and have gone through training on this device. I can promise you that at first it will not appear to damage your device, in the end it does fry out the Pre. I have seen it first hand and would reccommend to EVERYONE to just use the Pre battery. Also there is a program in the Pre that enables us to tell if a different battery has been used. If this is found to be the case it does void your warranty. It better to run the safe side.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Please post a screenshot of this tool. I'm sure people would be interested.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSIMKO View Post
I am a store Manager for Sprint and have gone through training on this device. I can promise you that at first it will not appear to damage your device, in the end it does fry out the Pre. I have seen it first hand and would reccommend to EVERYONE to just use the Pre battery. Also there is a program in the Pre that enables us to tell if a different battery has been used. If this is found to be the case it does void your warranty. It better to run the safe side.
cheapasses everywhere just shed a tear...
Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Now that I think about it, this tool seems pretty silly to me. Assuming they have the ability to detect your battery type and that using the centro battery would damage the Pre according to some sources, why the hell wouldn't they just detect the battery upon startup and tell you about the problem? Wouldn't that be a much more user-friendly design than designing a battery with the same form factor as an incompatible battery, then creating an app to "catch" the user doing something?

Last edited by sfhub; 07-17-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint "Simply Everything"

tx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

A simple diagnostic will show system events including battery errors. Sprint can run diagnostic at any time on most pda's but with the new Palm Pre it is more advanced and does have inbeded troubleshooting/diagnostic tools that is not typically user accessible. But anyway I wouldn't take the risk of throwing in a cheap Centro battery knowing it would possibly mess up my phone or even void my warranty... that's just plain dumb!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:07 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_dbs_tx View Post
A simple diagnostic will show system events including battery errors. Sprint can run diagnostic at any time on most pda's but with the new Palm Pre it is more advanced and does have inbeded troubleshooting/diagnostic tools that is not typically user accessible. But anyway I wouldn't take the risk of throwing in a cheap Centro battery knowing it would possibly mess up my phone or even void my warranty... that's just plain dumb!!!
So does anyone know how to access these imbeded tools? Most of us are not typical users and I'm sure someone would have found them by now.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Sounds like FUD to me. You have QPST and root on this phone with thousands of people digging around all the system files and nobody has heard about this mythical battery logging?

In addition, assuming the information provided is true, Palm could easily just detect the battery and give the user a prompt in that shiny notification area, but instead they design a battery with the same form factor (as an incompatible battery that will break your phone), yet they won't warn you about the problem in the most obvious way, but will try to detect this if you bring it in for service. This is the dumbest design I ever heard of.

This is more about the truth behind the new battery and what mechanism it is using that is different, if any. What people do with that information is up to them.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre