PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 01:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrulez View Post
touch pro 2s sell for 380 on ebay and thats without a contract, these people need to make a profit so obviously they retail way less...
ebay is hardly the appropriate reference point for what retail pricing is...
Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I can't really agree with you, although I also can't lay out exact the costs involved. But first, you should realize that the retail price of a PS3 is also HEAVILY subsized by Sony. PS3 are sold at a loss, I believe at least at a $200-300 loss, with the intention of gaining that back with game sales (4 game sales easily brings back $200). So the unsubsidized retail price of a PS3 would be closer to $600-700. Here is a sample news item:

Also consider that these smartphones like a TP2, are every bit as capable and sophisticated as a modern laptop, but in miniature form, which itself adds to the cost. Hesse has been quoted as confirming these prices and subsidy levels publicly, so the numbers I presented are not fiction.

Lastly, you seem to be conflating the cost of devices with the cost of wireless services. In any case, the bottomline is that Sprint has been losing money bigtime, so it is difficult to argue that they are overcharging in the broad scheme of things...
Please don't feel the need to explain any of this to me, I completely know how the subsidy side of the cellular market works. Getting back to my main point: Sprint has the worst pricing structure of the major carriers when it comes to WinMo devices and that is a fact. The only person who pays for this in both senses of the word is US as consumers. We pay more because of their flimsy subsidizing deals, and we pay more because they roll out new WinMo devices only slightly more often than the planets align.

Tmobile customers can purchase a TP2 for $100 less than I can purchase my own Sprint Touch Diamond.... which STILL does not have a linear replacement/upgrade device anywhere in the announced future. No matter what you say, that's just wrong.

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch vogue
Carrier: sprint

jamess661 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
I just noticed this quote on Sprint's website on the right side of the page while looking at their phones. Does anyone agree with this? I know I don't, in fact it seems they have the least compelling lineup, as I sit here with my Diamond wishing there was a phone worth using my upgrade credit on, which I've been eligible to do for a year now!

"Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones out of the four major US wireless carriers with the HTC Hero, Palm Pre, HTC Touch Pro2, BlackBerry Tour, HTC Snap, and more..."
ZDNet. October 5, 2009.

Jan 2. 2010 I guess it depend on how you mean compelling i mean verizon got there own htc hero, and will be getting the palm pre, some time his year. everyone has the touch pro 2, i believe eveyone has the tour, the snap, sucks and they still have me waiting on a diamond 2 or whitestone ?? which vzw have already. Hell at&t should be getting the gsm hero, and the pixi like sprint has and verizon also so compelling maybe another word should be used. Maybe iam wrong vzw right now i think is beating sprint on handsets and iam not happy with that but what can i do and some of the leak's about t mobile sounds more compelling to me but i guess i will see just my way of looking at thing.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Post Master General

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Yeah, I vote that they change that phrase from "the most compelling" to "the most contempt inducing" lol
Old 01-02-2010, 08:35 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
You're not alone ... lots of us are wondering if Sprint will even be in business in a couple of years. Their line-up is not compelling, and they have given no hint about what's coming. My guess is that they will continue to lose customers at an unprecedented rate ... and if there isn't HD2, Bravo, or something compelling very soon ... our family's accounts will be among the missing as well.
has nobody been reading the news? sprint has launched 4g data, which is the future, also they will have the 'best' (cdma @least) in a few days.
also if i'm not mistaken sprint does have the largest selection of phones in general. several of most varieties. also keep in mind they have been having to maintain the nextel lineup, which will soon disappear allowing for more/better sprint phones.

att and verizon are the only ones that would possibly have a better lineup, but I personally don't think so.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 Customized
Carrier: SPRINT

dallastx is keeping up the good workdallastx is keeping up the good workdallastx is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
has nobody been reading the news? sprint has launched 4g data, which is the future, also they will have the 'best' (cdma @least) in a few days.
also if i'm not mistaken sprint does have the largest selection of phones in general. several of most varieties. also keep in mind they have been having to maintain the nextel lineup, which will soon disappear allowing for more/better sprint phones.

att and verizon are the only ones that would possibly have a better lineup, but I personally don't think so.

ummmm.huh QUOTE=shaggylive "also they will have the 'best' (cdma @least) in a few days"

Im confused. So in 2-5 days sprint will be the best CDMA carrier off of what research? I love sprint, but what your saying dosent makes since.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro

acts is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving View Post
Please don't feel the need to explain any of this to me, I completely know how the subsidy side of the cellular market works. Getting back to my main point: Sprint has the worst pricing structure of the major carriers when it comes to WinMo devices and that is a fact. The only person who pays for this in both senses of the word is US as consumers. We pay more because of their flimsy subsidizing deals, and we pay more because they roll out new WinMo devices only slightly more often than the planets align.

Tmobile customers can purchase a TP2 for $100 less than I can purchase my own Sprint Touch Diamond.... which STILL does not have a linear replacement/upgrade device anywhere in the announced future. No matter what you say, that's just wrong.
where are you getting your pricing info? because a quick look at tmobile web, a TP2 is $349, which is the equivalent of sprint, and even with $100 off that, it would still be more expensive than a Sprint Touch Diamond.

also, sprint's pricing structure is the worst upfront. like i outlined in my earlier post, even with TMobile's new pricing plan, sprint plans are still cheaper and you make the money back in the long run. furthermore, if you keep the phone longer than 1 year, and 2 years, you are saving money in the long run over other carriers. if you bail early by re-upping your contract, you still come out even against other carriers. the only thing I would agree with is the fact that there is no linear replacement for the diamond at the moment.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro

acts is just getting started

Quote:

4G is a joke if you don't have any phone selection that utilizes it. it's also a joke when outside of a few major cities, it doesn't work. it may be the future, but the other networks are going LTE and will hit 4G soon enough.

what do you mean by "best"? best network? best phone? also, sprint does NOT have the largest selection/most varieties, that goes to verizon if we are talking smartphones.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

according to my zip sprint has 12 smartphones(not counting bb, sanyo, or lg), while verizon only has 10. (not counting bb)
we'll find out for sure tues or wed just what the best is, but all signs point to 1ghz android device on sprint. we'll have to see whether it comes with 4g capabilities.
regardless, since I actually looked at the selection available, I still gotta say sprint does have the more compelling lineup. really, who want's an omnia(1). :b

also, it looks like there are far more phones with real keyboards available on sprint too.

Last edited by shaggylive; 01-03-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Post Master General

Quote:
according to my zip sprint has 12 smartphones(not counting bb, sanyo, or lg), while verizon only has 10. (not counting bb)
we'll find out for sure tues or wed just what the best is, but all signs point to 1ghz android device on sprint. we'll have to see whether it comes with 4g capabilities.
regardless, since I actually looked at the selection available, I still gotta say sprint does have the more compelling lineup. really, who want's an omnia(1). :b

also, it looks like there are far more phones with real keyboards available on sprint too.
I hear ya, and you have a point there... but they won't be compelling to me until there is an upgrade available for my Diamond lol...

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives