PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VX6900
Carrier: Verizon

Tekno21 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone,

I just ordered my first VX6900 and discovered this Wonderful forum. I can't to jump in with you all Breaking our phones, but I had a few questions that I was hoping to get help with before starting.

What is the radio I hear referred to so often? (and Best Version to have?)

Whats the difference between a theme and a rom?

Last, What is Manilla 2d and TF2D?

Once I get the basics down I'm hoping I can jump in and contribute some of my own custom creations.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

detroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Hello Everyone

Try to answer your questions here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekno21 View Post
Radio is the device that in your phone that sends/receives to and from the tower - make a call your on the radio, use the internet you on the radio - it whats connects you to your provider
3.42.30 is the basic radio version you should have, 3.42.50 is the highest I know of for basic operation and using a custom ROM

Quote:
A ROM is the entire package, the OS the app everything that is on your phone in one installable package
A Theme is just like in your computer, just changes how the PC looks

Quote:
TF2D= TouchFLO 2D a ripped version of TouchFLO 3D that DIamond / Touch Pro phones use as the User Interface can also be referred to as Manilla or M2D

Hope that helps

Detroit Doug

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level

I recommend to watch a video on youtube about using manila.it has many softkeys and scrolling functions.It will help you to discover all the m2d benefits.
here is a link to my 6 months old video.sorry for a bad quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAJrz...eature=channel
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Zd7...eature=channel

that was my first cooked ROM lol,I couldnt figure out myself how to use it LOL.

Last edited by vin255764; 04-15-2009 at 12:34 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Tekno21 is a n00b

Thanks for the help and the video!

Doug where in Detroit are you from? I'm also from the area

Last edited by Tekno21; 04-15-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim X51v, Tilt, 8525 VX6900, Imagio
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

jadesse is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I just ordered my first VX6900 and discovered this Wonderful forum. I can't to jump in with you all Breaking our phones, but I had a few questions that I was hoping to get help with before starting.

Once I get the basics down I'm hoping I can jump in and contribute some of my own custom creations.

Thanks in advance for the help
Your Vouge should have radio version 3.37.78. I don't see any reason or benefit in changing this. If you know of someone in your area that has flashed a different radio & they are getting better signal. Then it may be worth while doing. Also note that flashiong a new radio can also void your warrenty.

Another word of advice for you. I you plan on using your GPS. Do not let the customizations run on you phone because letting them run will lock the GPS. You may still be able to get it to work but its a lot of hassle.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

detroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on repdetroit_doug is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Thanks for the help and the video!

Doug where in Detroit are you from? I'm also from the area

Hey WOOT!!!

Originally from over in Roseville but moved to Las Vegas a couple years back for work... 313 is always home though LOL plus Ive had this nic far to long to change it now LOL

Detroit Doug
Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6800/Mogul

cycomachead is just getting started

Also, know that none of this is supported by verizon. If you want to flash roms to your phone it may be scary the first time, but once you've done it it's pretty easy.

I may get an xv6900 soon, could you comment on which OS version you have and how much ram it shows. There's an About screen under settings. Thanks.

Anyway, know that there are 3 basic things to getting the phone to work. All three need to line up and be compatible or you will have problems. Remember all of this must be specifically for the Vogue or HTC touch. Note that the Elf of Elfin are NOT the same as the vogue, despite having identical looks. (They are the GSM versions)
1. the SPL or bootloader which is very basic (but important) firmware which lets you load roms and radio roms. You will need to 'flash' this to your phone first. Look at the sticky at the top of the forum. You should be using version 2.31.

2. Radio Rom, or radio. The is firmware specifically for the radio chip. For most GPS OS roms and for SPL 2.31 you need radio 3.35. This isn't usually recommended now just because it's older. You phone you come with 3.37 which should be fine. Some say 3.42.30 or 3.42.50 which will also work. It's personal preference which version you use. Can someone more experienced than me comment on if there is a radio only RUU for the Vogue, like there is for the Titan? [an RUU is computer software that talks to the phone and updates the rom.]

3. OS Rom, usually just referred to as a rom. This is the version of windows mobile which you can use. there's TONS on choices and you will just have to read up here and at xda-developers to see all the different roms. Currently they come in 2 basic versions: Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5. 6.5 has a newer interface and new features. You can use either. And in those roms are different builds from microsoft. Usually higher numbers are newer. 6.1 is not being developed my MS anymore so the highest build number for that is around 21042. Newer builds are generally better, but certain ones have problems, which are usually not released as roms. For 6.5 the very highest build number I've heard of is 21500, but I haven't seen it. Also, you can see with different 6.5 builds how some have a slightly newer interface and higher build number. Remember the OS works only with certain radios but as long as you're running 3.37 or higher, you won't see a problem. Don't worry about the looks of a rom to much, that can all be customized on your own using themes.

Ok, there's lots of places to get stuck here. If you ever really screw up, do some searching. (I can't comment on the vogue quite yet.) But Verizon has their MR1 update. This will 'lock' your phone down, but includes an SPL, a radio and an OS. But this is what your phone comes with and includes none of the advantages of custom roms. However, it is good to know it's there, especially for warranty repair.
And if you use MR1 -DO NOT-DO NOT-DO NOT- let the customizations run! It won't do anything to your phone, but if you do and want GPS getting it back will be hard.

Hope that helps, and if there's anyone with more accurate info, or i made a mistake please correct me.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Also, if you're phone version says Windows Mobile 6.1 you will need to dial *228 and press 1 when you're done.

If not, you will need to get a new 'A-Key' You can call verizon and they will do it for you. Tell them you were testing software and you had to hard reset. (And that's basically true too!) Or you could go to the online verizon site, de activate your phone, then reactivate the phone again. Or better yet, you could flash all the roms before you make a call, and they you shouldn't have to worry.

Also, just want to warn you, every time you flash a rom, and I think a radio too, and an SPL you will hard reset your device and lose all the data. It's a very good idea to use a backup program and an SD card. (I use the free PIM Backup).
Old 04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Tekno21 is a n00b

Just got my phone today, it came stock out of the box with Windows Mobile 6 Professional.

Rom version 1.60.30
Radio version: 1.60.30.
Ram: 128MB
Program memorey: 105.20

Last edited by Tekno21; 04-16-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Just got my phone today, it came stock out of the box with Windows Mobile 6 Professional.

Rom version 1.60.30
Radio version: 1.60.30.
Ram: 128MB
Program memorey: 105.20
Wow, that's surprising as it's using the old verizon rom. But it's good for you because you can now go ahead and flash your rom and not worry about Verizon locking the GPS.

Someone who's unlocked a vogue can hopefully comment on the best way for you to upgrade the radio. I believe the only way to get a radio on the vogue is to flash a carrier rom, which includes a bootloader. So I'm not sure if it's best flash the SPL or the carrier rom update first. The other thing to know is that if you flash a carrier rom, then the splash screen will change. You can get it back to normal by creating a special rom which just includes a splash screen or by using the PPC Kitchen and building your own rom.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue