PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 03:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint hero
Carrier: sprint

djk1 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How can two different 2.0 megapixel camera be so different

Just got my touch a few days ago. So far its been beautiful. There is one thing I dont understand. I checked my friends iPhone and took some pictures with it and than I took some pictures with my Touch. The results upset me. Here I was bragging to him that my phone can do anything his can do plus so much more. But when I looked at his pictures and compared them to mine, he laughed at me. Both are 2 Megapixel cameras and yet his takes beautiful shots while the Touch looks like a picture from a flip phone that hit the streets two years ago. Dont get me wrong I love the touch, but what gives. Could HTC be using cheap camera? Is there any tricks or registry hacks that I dont know about? If there is please let me know.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Sorry, please move this thread to the Touch section
Old 11-11-2007, 06:35 AM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: Sprint

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
The lens makes a big difference in picture quality. The pictures taken from the Mogul are supposedly better quality than those of the Touch as well. In an attempt to make the Touch as slim as possible, they might have needed to sacrifice some picture quality.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Telus

borealcool is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by djk1 View Post
Just got my touch a few days ago. So far its been beautiful. There is one thing I dont understand. I checked my friends iPhone and took some pictures with it and than I took some pictures with my Touch. The results upset me. Here I was bragging to him that my phone can do anything his can do plus so much more. But when I looked at his pictures and compared them to mine, he laughed at me. Both are 2 Megapixel cameras and yet his takes beautiful shots while the Touch looks like a picture from a flip phone that hit the streets two years ago. Dont get me wrong I love the touch, but what gives. Could HTC be using cheap camera? Is there any tricks or registry hacks that I dont know about? If there is please let me know.
The iPhone camera is manufactured by Micron Technology, HTC uses Omnivision CMOS cameras. IMO the major difference is in the time and expense put into developing drivers. The Touch was a rush job to beat Apple to market and judging from this Kaiser/Tilt petition, HTC seems on a roll when it comes to sacrificing quality for the sake of getting products to shipping. Microsoft is rubbing off on them?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:17 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
it's the lens. The sensor on all these phones cost $10 or so. The "optics" is another $10. My guess is apple splurged and spent $30 on their optics.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: Sprint

airibis is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to airibis
I wonder if you can mod the phone and install a new camera.. hmm a project to look into.

for now be sure to take your photos in areas directly illuminated by sunlight.

giving you a better f.stop, s/s ratio.

even the common house hold light bulb isnt enough to push past 1/30 s/s

so unless you are outside, from 11am - 5pm, your photos will come out blurry, grainy, and low quality.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff
Have you at least checked all the settings and played around with them, or tried the shareware version of cool camera?

I have a 6700 and while I'm not blown away by the pic quality it is decent once the settings are set to the highest quality, and cool camera seems to step up the quality another 5-10%....
Old 11-11-2007, 11:41 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP
Yeah, the lens is the problem. Megapixels don't mean jack when the rest of the camera sucks. I wouldn't say "my phone can do everything yours can" really, because honestly, the iPhone is better as a touch phone than the Touch is. It just has crappy EDGE data, a bad keyboard, and no 3rd party app support. 3 things I couldn't live with. Next time, just tell him your 20-key XT9 keyboard, EVDO speeds up to 2mbit, and ability to add a plethora of applications to your phone makes it better than his.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I've played with every setting and nothing seems to work. Also was it not in one of these threads that compared the mogul to the touch and most said that the touch has slightly better quality for the camera. I guess with all the Iphone themes, Iphone dialers, Iphone Slide to start, Iphone everything, we are constantly trying to make our phone into what everyone know is a superior phone. If you are a manufacture that is going to try to duplicate a competitor cant you yet least come close.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH

monster28 is a n00b
my cam looks good and takes good pix i think better then then the mogul
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue