PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   How can two different 2.0 megapixel camera be so different (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=11502)

djk1 11-11-2007 03:12 AM

How can two different 2.0 megapixel camera be so different

Just got my touch a few days ago. So far its been beautiful. There is one thing I dont understand. I checked my friends iPhone and took some pictures with it and than I took some pictures with my Touch. The results upset me. Here I was bragging to him that my phone can do anything his can do plus so much more. But when I looked at his pictures and compared them to mine, he laughed at me. Both are 2 Megapixel cameras and yet his takes beautiful shots while the Touch looks like a picture from a flip phone that hit the streets two years ago. Dont get me wrong I love the touch, but what gives. Could HTC be using cheap camera? Is there any tricks or registry hacks that I dont know about? If there is please let me know.

djk1 11-11-2007 03:16 AM

Sorry, please move this thread to the Touch section

stroths 11-11-2007 06:35 AM

The lens makes a big difference in picture quality. The pictures taken from the Mogul are supposedly better quality than those of the Touch as well. In an attempt to make the Touch as slim as possible, they might have needed to sacrifice some picture quality.

borealcool 11-11-2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djk1 (Post 119214)
Just got my touch a few days ago. So far its been beautiful. There is one thing I dont understand. I checked my friends iPhone and took some pictures with it and than I took some pictures with my Touch. The results upset me. Here I was bragging to him that my phone can do anything his can do plus so much more. But when I looked at his pictures and compared them to mine, he laughed at me. Both are 2 Megapixel cameras and yet his takes beautiful shots while the Touch looks like a picture from a flip phone that hit the streets two years ago. Dont get me wrong I love the touch, but what gives. Could HTC be using cheap camera? Is there any tricks or registry hacks that I dont know about? If there is please let me know.

The iPhone camera is manufactured by Micron Technology, HTC uses Omnivision CMOS cameras. IMO the major difference is in the time and expense put into developing drivers. The Touch was a rush job to beat Apple to market and judging from this Kaiser/Tilt petition, HTC seems on a roll when it comes to sacrificing quality for the sake of getting products to shipping. Microsoft is rubbing off on them? :???:

schettj 11-11-2007 09:17 AM

it's the lens. The sensor on all these phones cost $10 or so. The "optics" is another $10. My guess is apple splurged and spent $30 on their optics.

airibis 11-11-2007 09:41 AM

I wonder if you can mod the phone and install a new camera.. hmm a project to look into.

for now be sure to take your photos in areas directly illuminated by sunlight.

giving you a better f.stop, s/s ratio.

even the common house hold light bulb isnt enough to push past 1/30 s/s

so unless you are outside, from 11am - 5pm, your photos will come out blurry, grainy, and low quality.

nuguy 11-11-2007 11:22 AM

Have you at least checked all the settings and played around with them, or tried the shareware version of cool camera?

I have a 6700 and while I'm not blown away by the pic quality it is decent once the settings are set to the highest quality, and cool camera seems to step up the quality another 5-10%....

Cicatrize 11-11-2007 11:41 AM

Yeah, the lens is the problem. Megapixels don't mean jack when the rest of the camera sucks. I wouldn't say "my phone can do everything yours can" really, because honestly, the iPhone is better as a touch phone than the Touch is. It just has crappy EDGE data, a bad keyboard, and no 3rd party app support. 3 things I couldn't live with. Next time, just tell him your 20-key XT9 keyboard, EVDO speeds up to 2mbit, and ability to add a plethora of applications to your phone makes it better than his. :D

djk1 11-11-2007 12:58 PM

I've played with every setting and nothing seems to work. Also was it not in one of these threads that compared the mogul to the touch and most said that the touch has slightly better quality for the camera. I guess with all the Iphone themes, Iphone dialers, Iphone Slide to start, Iphone everything, we are constantly trying to make our phone into what everyone know is a superior phone. If you are a manufacture that is going to try to duplicate a competitor cant you yet least come close.

monster28 11-11-2007 02:49 PM

my cam looks good and takes good pix i think better then then the mogul