PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"My Location" and Weather Not Working? Possible cause.

Are you having problems with "my Location" and weather not updating properly? I MAY have an answer to the problem after several days of observation.
I have been switching between stock, NRG and Indagroove ROMS and the problem is not ROM specific. I spent my entire day off work the other day trying to get my location settings to work - well "entire day" may be a stretch. However, once I left my house, Location started working fine. Came back home and tried a manual sync and again got the message that I could not update my location settings.

The problem? I have an Airave (femtocell) at home. Apparently, the location service uses location settings from the actual cell towers. Since the Airave uses GPS (in order to comply with e-911 services) to broadcast its location, it does so in a manner different from what the cell towers tell our phones.

So, when I am in my house, the location specific services such as weather, do not work. Go a couple hundred feet from my house and it works.

GPS signal pick up fine inside my house so I can use things like iGuidance, bing and google maps. But, from what I understand how HTC's Location settings work, it pulls the info from the cell tower.

So if you are having problems getting your location services to work and have an Airave (or even if a neighbor may have one), go for a short ride or walk and see if Location updates.

Not sure if you are associated with an Airave (ie, a neighbor may have one that you don't know about), go into your dialer and dial *99 send. If you hear a tone and the message "you are now within airave coverage", that is probably why location is not working.

Just an observation, so if you have any input or if my idea worked for you, please let me know.

David
Old 11-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: "My Location" and Weather Not Working? Possible cause.

Well the SprintNav doesnt seem to get a lock until i go outside (yes i have an Airave) and forget Bing or G-Maps. Live Search would work for me, but Bing never does no matter where i am. I always have to set it by City unless i just exited SprintNav, then itll grab it. Havent used it since the ROM upgrade though so i dont know if its worse or not. I do know the radio sucks, so i may be forced to change that.

Oh, why would weather not work? Im assuming you mean the Weather tab?

Last edited by Talon Pro; 11-19-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Threadstarter

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community

@Talon,
Correct, the weather tab does work for the city that I have manually selected however, it is not able to pull the data for my location when I am within my airave coverage zone in my house. Once I leave the range of my airave, it pulls the current data. If I go in my house and try again, nothing.
I can get a GPS lock on all 3 of my GPS programs, just can't get the automatic location in Sense.
Next test will be to turn my airave off. I can get a cell tower signal on the top floor of my house so I'll try that as my "control".

David
Old 11-19-2009, 12:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

Urufu_Shinjiro is keeping up the good workUrufu_Shinjiro is keeping up the good work

Umm, forgive my ignorance, but what is an Airave and why would you want to have one?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Alltel/VerizOn

KillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Are you having problems with "my Location" and weather not updating properly? I MAY have an answer to the problem after several days of observation.
I have been switching between stock, NRG and Indagroove ROMS and the problem is not ROM specific. I spent my entire day off work the other day trying to get my location settings to work - well "entire day" may be a stretch. However, once I left my house, Location started working fine. Came back home and tried a manual sync and again got the message that I could not update my location settings.

The problem? I have an Airave (femtocell) at home. Apparently, the location service uses location settings from the actual cell towers. Since the Airave uses GPS (in order to comply with e-911 services) to broadcast its location, it does so in a manner different from what the cell towers tell our phones.

So, when I am in my house, the location specific services such as weather, do not work. Go a couple hundred feet from my house and it works.

GPS signal pick up fine inside my house so I can use things like iGuidance, bing and google maps. But, from what I understand how HTC's Location settings work, it pulls the info from the cell tower.

So if you are having problems getting your location services to work and have an Airave (or even if a neighbor may have one), go for a short ride or walk and see if Location updates.

Not sure if you are associated with an Airave (ie, a neighbor may have one that you don't know about), go into your dialer and dial *99 send. If you hear a tone and the message "you are now within airave coverage", that is probably why location is not working.

Just an observation, so if you have any input or if my idea worked for you, please let me know.

David
YOu need to run QUICKGPS in order for it to work. Ive read on here and Ive done it myself. THe ROM im currently usin doesnt have QUICKGPS so IM lookin for a QUICKGPS cab so I can run it.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro View Post
Umm, forgive my ignorance, but what is an Airave and why would you want to have one?
An Airave is a device that Sprint will either sell you or give you(depending on your circumstances) that acts like a mini cell tower in your house. It transmits a cell signal within about a 300 foot radius for cell phones that are not able to pick up a signal/ in a dead zone. It then sends the call over a broadband line and rebroadcasts it via a local cell tower.

Long story short; I have a weak signal outside of my house and no signal inside my house. I asked Spirint for an airave and they said I would have to pay $100.00 for it and 4.99 a month for the service. Since I was at the end of my contract I decided to go with Verizon which picks up better in my house. Sprint offered the airave and the service for free so I stayed with them.

@Killabytz
Done the QuickGPS thing. I get great GPS reception and can use google maps etc in my house but the location service (IMHO) that HTC uses for things like the weather location is based on triangulation or some means from the physical cell towers and not gps.

I verified my theory by trying to update my weather (location based, not preselected) by trying to update at several locations in my house with the airave turned on. No joy.

Turned the airave off and moved around my house until I was able to pick up a weak signal and hit update and guess what? My weather updated. Turned the airave back on and waited for it to cycle and then did the update and it would not update. So, it has to be the airave.

David
Old 11-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (Herman)
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon -> AT&T)

Swin is becoming a great contributor

I can add some information to this topic as I've done a fair bit of research.

First of all, I believe you are correct, the My Location GPS weather feature of HTC TF3D seems designed to pull GPS information from the cell towers in the default case.

From these posts:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=38
http://forum.xda-developers.com/sear...rchid=30456804

You can see that the radio can make or break My Location GPS weather.

Something interesting though, is that when WiFi is enabled and a connection is present, the required data (GPS?) is pulled correctly - perhaps from the internal GPS? Regardless of whether the actual data connection is through cellular or WiFi, take a look at this user's research here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=587

I can confirm Tim HD's observations through my own experimentation.

So my estimations for a fix, would be to modify the radio or radio related phone settings (is there a setting we can change with QPST?) to pull GPS from cell towers in a manner acceptable to TF3D, or, more preferably, for someone to make a modification somewhere which tells the feature to always prefer the internal GPS, regardless of whether or not WiFi is enabled or there's a connection in range.

Information consolidated. Fin.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO4g
Carrier: Sprint

srk468 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to srk468

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
An Airave is a device that Sprint will either sell you or give you(depending on your circumstances) that acts like a mini cell tower in your house. It transmits a cell signal within about a 300 foot radius for cell phones that are not able to pick up a signal/ in a dead zone. It then sends the call over a broadband line and rebroadcasts it via a local cell tower.

Long story short; I have a weak signal outside of my house and no signal inside my house. I asked Spirint for an airave and they said I would have to pay $100.00 for it and 4.99 a month for the service. Since I was at the end of my contract I decided to go with Verizon which picks up better in my house. Sprint offered the airave and the service for free so I stayed with them.

@Killabytz
Done the QuickGPS thing. I get great GPS reception and can use google maps etc in my house but the location service (IMHO) that HTC uses for things like the weather location is based on triangulation or some means from the physical cell towers and not gps.

I verified my theory by trying to update my weather (location based, not preselected) by trying to update at several locations in my house with the airave turned on. No joy.

Turned the airave off and moved around my house until I was able to pick up a weak signal and hit update and guess what? My weather updated. Turned the airave back on and waited for it to cycle and then did the update and it would not update. So, it has to be the airave.

David
+1 here too, I have an airave and the same thing happens for me but only in 2.5 manilla. If I'm in my house in southwest MI then it gives me Chicago's weather, no biggie cause as soon as I leave if I update it it works fine. I think you nailed it, if you have an airave the "my location" feature especially in manilla 2.5 will not work correctly but everywhere else it should, Good post!
Old 11-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

gorelow is keeping up the good workgorelow is keeping up the good workgorelow is keeping up the good work

is there a simple cab i can get ti install this if im running 6.1?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

just activate your data first in the comm manager. Then update the weather. This has always worked for me whenever "my location" does not want to work.

"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher"..wmdunn
"I am Mulhiny and I'm a phone junkie"..Riley

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro