PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

rtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why does TP die when using "Internet Sharing"

Whenever I use Internet Sharing to tether via my TP, I notice that the battery charges for maybe 10 mins or so and then it stops charging and thus, my TP dies very soon when tethering. I know that the phone is supposed to stop charging if it gets too hot. But, tethering via USB for just 10-15 mins doesn't make it hot at all. I have tried several ROMs including Mighty's, Juicy's, Silence, NRJZ and SSS and so, I don't think it is a ROM related issue.

Can someone please suggest me what to do.. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus Mobility

MightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Why does TP die when using "Internet Sharing"

moved to touch pro general forum.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

Lack of amperage on your USB bus I am guessing, are you using your dongle so you can have the plug in charger hooked up too?
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 08-10-2009, 12:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

calny is a n00b

I have the same issue, USB tether with a normal USB port it charges for 10 min then stops charging. My Apache used to USB tether and charge fine at the same time without a problem. On a Juicy ROM 8 btw.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:53 PM
VIP PATROL
Pocket PC: EVO 4G/3D
Carrier: SPRINT

JAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via MSN to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via Yahoo to JAVIERBOND007

Same problem here, i believe when we are using internet sharing the device is in disk drive mode wonder if that has something to do with it.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

Biggnaa20 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Biggnaa20 Send a message via Skype™ to Biggnaa20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon87 View Post
Whenever I use Internet Sharing to tether via my TP, I notice that the battery charges for maybe 10 mins or so and then it stops charging and thus, my TP dies very soon when tethering. I know that the phone is supposed to stop charging if it gets too hot. But, tethering via USB for just 10-15 mins doesn't make it hot at all. I have tried several ROMs including Mighty's, Juicy's, Silence, NRJZ and SSS and so, I don't think it is a ROM related issue.

Can someone please suggest me what to do.. Thanks in advance.

it might not feel hot to you, but it is still probably an overheating issue. The Touch Pro's radio overheats when it is used to pull down data and cannot charge while it is too hot.

Have you tried to feel the back with out the cover? If it still feels cool while tethering, then I am at a loss

nb
Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch/ HTC Touch Pro/Palm Pre

zedron is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggnaa20 View Post
it might not feel hot to you, but it is still probably an overheating issue. The Touch Pro's radio overheats when it is used to pull down data and cannot charge while it is too hot.

Have you tried to feel the back with out the cover? If it still feels cool while tethering, then I am at a loss

nb

It is indeed an overheating issue. The amount of power drawn while transferring data is high and causes heat. That with the added heat generated while charging a battery will be in excess of the allowable limit. The device will not charge once a certain temperature is reached. I have had success with taking the battery cover off and putting the phone in front or on top of a custom fan thing I made to keep it cool.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM
VIP PATROL
Pocket PC: EVO 4G/3D
Carrier: SPRINT

JAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via MSN to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via Yahoo to JAVIERBOND007
Thumbs up Re: Why does TP die when using "Internet Sharing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedron View Post
It is indeed an overheating issue. The amount of power drawn while transferring data is high and causes heat. That with the added heat generated while charging a battery will be in excess of the allowable limit. The device will not charge once a certain temperature is reached. I have had success with taking the battery cover off and putting the phone in front or on top of a custom fan thing I made to keep it cool.

I am trying it out right now...thx for the advice.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:57 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

yea I run into that issue, if I dont keep that baby cool while Internet Sharing via a slight a/c vent air blowing while on the road for email, eventhough it is not hot/warm to the touch it will stop charging and die...
Don't just say "Thanks"....give
Old 08-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I'm surprised that a custom TouchPro-specific heatsink+fan combo hasn't been realeased yet. I tried to tether with this thing shortly after it came out, had the same problem, haven't done it since

I remember reading a post from a guy who put his phone in a fridge... not sure how it worked out, but yikes.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro