PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Why does TP die when using "Internet Sharing" (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78720)

rtandon87 08-10-2009 11:55 AM

Why does TP die when using "Internet Sharing"

Whenever I use Internet Sharing to tether via my TP, I notice that the battery charges for maybe 10 mins or so and then it stops charging and thus, my TP dies very soon when tethering. I know that the phone is supposed to stop charging if it gets too hot. But, tethering via USB for just 10-15 mins doesn't make it hot at all. I have tried several ROMs including Mighty's, Juicy's, Silence, NRJZ and SSS and so, I don't think it is a ROM related issue.

Can someone please suggest me what to do.. Thanks in advance.

MightyMike 08-10-2009 12:00 PM

Re: Why does TP die when using "Internet Sharing"

moved to touch pro general forum.

elmerfudpucker 08-10-2009 12:03 PM

Lack of amperage on your USB bus I am guessing, are you using your dongle so you can have the plug in charger hooked up too?

calny 08-10-2009 12:44 PM

I have the same issue, USB tether with a normal USB port it charges for 10 min then stops charging. My Apache used to USB tether and charge fine at the same time without a problem. On a Juicy ROM 8 btw.

JAVIERBOND007 08-10-2009 12:53 PM

Same problem here, i believe when we are using internet sharing the device is in disk drive mode wonder if that has something to do with it.

Biggnaa20 08-10-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtandon87 (Post 1092046)
Whenever I use Internet Sharing to tether via my TP, I notice that the battery charges for maybe 10 mins or so and then it stops charging and thus, my TP dies very soon when tethering. I know that the phone is supposed to stop charging if it gets too hot. But, tethering via USB for just 10-15 mins doesn't make it hot at all. I have tried several ROMs including Mighty's, Juicy's, Silence, NRJZ and SSS and so, I don't think it is a ROM related issue.

Can someone please suggest me what to do.. Thanks in advance.

it might not feel hot to you, but it is still probably an overheating issue. The Touch Pro's radio overheats when it is used to pull down data and cannot charge while it is too hot.

Have you tried to feel the back with out the cover? If it still feels cool while tethering, then I am at a loss

nb

zedron 08-10-2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggnaa20 (Post 1092210)
it might not feel hot to you, but it is still probably an overheating issue. The Touch Pro's radio overheats when it is used to pull down data and cannot charge while it is too hot.

Have you tried to feel the back with out the cover? If it still feels cool while tethering, then I am at a loss

nb

It is indeed an overheating issue. The amount of power drawn while transferring data is high and causes heat. That with the added heat generated while charging a battery will be in excess of the allowable limit. The device will not charge once a certain temperature is reached. I have had success with taking the battery cover off and putting the phone in front or on top of a custom fan thing I made to keep it cool.

JAVIERBOND007 08-10-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedron (Post 1092917)
It is indeed an overheating issue. The amount of power drawn while transferring data is high and causes heat. That with the added heat generated while charging a battery will be in excess of the allowable limit. The device will not charge once a certain temperature is reached. I have had success with taking the battery cover off and putting the phone in front or on top of a custom fan thing I made to keep it cool.

I am trying it out right now...thx for the advice.

Unknown Zone 08-10-2009 07:57 PM

yea I run into that issue, if I dont keep that baby cool while Internet Sharing via a slight a/c vent air blowing while on the road for email, eventhough it is not hot/warm to the touch it will stop charging and die... :sad:

quick99si 08-10-2009 09:19 PM

I'm surprised that a custom TouchPro-specific heatsink+fan combo hasn't been realeased yet. I tried to tether with this thing shortly after it came out, had the same problem, haven't done it since :(

I remember reading a post from a guy who put his phone in a fridge... not sure how it worked out, but yikes.