PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
d94
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

d94 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
installing flash memory

iv heard that the raphael and the diamond share similar mainboards..and that it may be possible to solder on flash memory

anyone of heard of such a thing?

Mogul > Diamond FREE, $75 inconvenience credit
$42/mo 1250 min unlimited txt/data + TEP
<sprint tech>
Old 09-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL
Re: installing flash memory

I've heard that the Raphael has plenty of memory so this is not necessary.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TL View Post
I've heard that the Raphael has plenty of memory so this is not necessary.
He's referring to flash memory, not RAM. The Diamond has 192MB of RAM, 512MB of ROM and 4GB of onboard flash memory, but no microSD slot. The Touch Pro has 288MB of RAM, 512MB of ROM, and a microSD slot, but no onboard flash memory. He's wondering if it would be possible to add onboard flash memory to the Touch Pro since he suspects (maybe correctly) that they share the same or similar mainboards.

My suspicion, though, is that this is impossible for a variety of reasons. The one I'll highlight, though, is that they likely connected the Touch Pro's microSD slot to whatever contact points are used for flash memory in Diamond, making it an either/or scenario. I doubt they'd leave perfectly good an open potential connections unused on both models. Since one supports one and the other supports the other (and since the Verizon Diamond trades the 4GB onboard for the microSD), this is probably due to there being only one possible connection for "removable" memory.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
He's referring to flash memory, not RAM. The Diamond has 192MB of RAM, 512MB of ROM and 4GB of onboard flash memory, but no microSD slot. The Touch Pro has 288MB of RAM, 512MB of ROM, and a microSD slot, but no onboard flash memory. He's wondering if it would be possible to add onboard flash memory to the Touch Pro since he suspects (maybe correctly) that they share the same or similar mainboards.

My suspicion, though, is that this is impossible for a variety of reasons. The one I'll highlight, though, is that they likely connected the Touch Pro's microSD slot to whatever contact points are used for flash memory in Diamond, making it an either/or scenario. I doubt they'd leave perfectly good an open potential connections unused on both models. Since one supports one and the other supports the other (and since the Verizon Diamond trades the 4GB onboard for the microSD), this is probably due to there being only one possible connection for "removable" memory.
That would still take us back to what 1999tl said, would it be worth it, possibly destroying your phone, just to have flash memory? Microsd vs flash memory, I think thats an easy decision for most of us.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

shark1987 is keeping up the good workshark1987 is keeping up the good work

why don't you just get a 4GB microSD card, and then you can forget that you can take it out? It'd be alot cheaper, and no soldering on a very expensive device.

Why would you want to have it soldered in?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark1987 View Post
why don't you just get a 4GB microSD card, and then you can forget that you can take it out? It'd be alot cheaper, and no soldering on a very expensive device.

Why would you want to have it soldered in?
Again, I don't think his goal was to replace the microSD slot with it, I think he was hoping to add it. Which is why my post explained why this is likely impossible as it would have to replace it.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Android Convert

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I just bought an 8 gb Microsd card for 21.50 shipped on ebay. 16 gb cards are shipping now, but I'd rather wait till the price drops b/c I dont even have my 8gb card filled up yet. 16 gb cards will drop once the 32 gb ones come out beginning of 09. Soldering is not worth it to me.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:36 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Geez, my 4GB is only half full.

But once I get the touch pro, I'll probably get an 8GB and actually put music on it.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Android Convert

I had to upgrade b/c the new tomtom takes up 1.8 gb and lexipedia takes up 850 mb. lexipedia isn't necessary if I have internet, but I just have it on my card just in case i need to look up something without service.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

B18DelSolT is keeping up the good workB18DelSolT is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to B18DelSolT Send a message via MSN to B18DelSolT Send a message via Yahoo to B18DelSolT

yeah my 4G is maxed so i ordered a 16gb

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro