PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb ROMS and Battery life

I wondered how one ROM can get fantastic battery life and another way shitttier on the same phone? I've went through most if not all the various ROMS and cabs and what I come to realize is that Battery life and Features for whatever reason are inversely related.

Bear in mind I have my phone set the same with each rom with the same cabs installed. I finally stumbled upon EmpiRom but that doesnt have Sense and even worse has been abandoned. I've used other ROMS like NRG and NFSFAN's which have great features and support but the battery life isnt up to what I need.

So finally my point is that is it I found this weird relationship that doesnt make sense to me either but have found it to be true with every rom I have flashed.

BTW, our chef's do a great job transforming our now ailing devices. LONG LIVE THE TP!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6850 Touch Pro (Herman)
Carrier: US Cellular

kwineon is a n00b
Re: ROMS and Battery life

try moving on to kitchens. I use calkulins kitchen and get amazing battery life, usually well over a day. (titanium, no manila, very few extras for programs, this is my mp3 player as well) Plus I would suggest using your phone as a flash drive then too, as every time you plug it into a computer your battery gets a quick charge. (just something I do and have found it to have helped.)

Thanks
Dave
Old 12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4g / Touch_Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

captblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on repcaptblaze is halfway to VIP status based on rep

battery polling has something to do with poor battery life. if your rom is cooked with the battery meter reading in 1% increments you will chew up battery quicker if it is in 10% increments. also having your email accounts set up to check every couple of minutes is another culprit. push pages set to refresh constantly will do the same.

so it may be the way the chef makes the settings in the rom that affects battery life. combine that with your own criteria and that also is a drain..

these are just a few explanations, but i am sure there are more
Old 12-08-2009, 07:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

otzdog is just getting started

Just to continue/add to it, screen brightness makes a huge difference in battery usage. That's why Lumos is pretty popular. For me, I also use NueDynamicClock, which adjusts the processor speed on the fly, lowering it when not in use. That helps for me too.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Moved to the Touch Pro forum.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Sprint TP2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

sc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIP

I've found, a couple of the biggest culprits to be PagePool and Cache.
Different GUI's dont need the same settings. I ran one of my Custom ROMs with a 24Mb page pool and it chewed up 50% battery just sitting there in the 8hours I was asleep(of course keeping tons of code preloaded and making the ROM fast as hell during the day!)
That same ROM lasted all day and night with only 12Mb Page Pool. Go Figure.

Besides pagepool. FilterCacheSize is the other batterykiller for me.
Anything above dec:4096 seems to dramatically lower it.

Don't forget, If you change the ROM durastically, like switching to the Fastcharge drivers or a new build of the graphics drivers, the battery seems to learn proper power output after a day or so. (Placebo? most definitely tru for new battery drivers at least).
Thanks for the Good Info & Good Luck

Last edited by sc00b4s7eve; 12-09-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Mur
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro
Carrier: Bell

Mur is a n00b

I suggest trying out baseline but if you have things that you want installed and its not installed onto a different rom you should get a kitchen of the rom you want and combine them. (manually of course, adding the things you want)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro