PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any way to have a Verizon TP2 without a data plan ???

Ok so I guess I’m a scum but I just don’t feel like giving Verizon $360.00 a year more for a WiFi device when I’m already paying my current Internet provider for WiFi access.

So what would happen if I had a TP2 and just tried to add it like a new phone by going through the add a new phone thing of inputting the ESN/MEID number of the TP2 on their activate a phone web page and then dialing 611 ?

Second question, I talked to a rep today who told me I could buy the phone but I would have to upgrade the plan.

I then asked if I could return the whole thing or switch back to my old phone and my old plan with in 30 days if I didn’t like it and she said yes although the contract would still be for 2 years.

So what if I buy the phone and get the plan and then just ask to cancel the plan and go back to my old phone, then after they did all the switching back I just reactivate the TP2?

I know I must seem like a scum for asking this but I’m sorry but there is just no justifiable reason I should be forced to pay Verizon $360.00 a year for something I don’t need.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

SkyFire47 is a n00b
Re: Any way to have a Verizon TP2 without a data plan ???

no way around it. VZW won't let you activate the TP2 without the $29.99/mo. plan there too.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid - 1.2ghz
Carrier: MetroPCS

goldenu is just getting started

I see no "scum" involved here, I refuse to pay Verizon's BS rates too. As for no data plan, I picked mine up on ebay and swapped it over to MetroPCS.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 750
Carrier: VZW

nickb34 is a n00b

This is the reason why I haven't already switched... I just don't see why they couldn't allow people to have the $9.99 add on package instead of the mandatory $29.99 (beside the fact that they are greedy bastards). I hope they lose enough business that they will actually have to be competetive with their pricing.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:25 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Are you at home all the time, to always be able to avail yourself of WiFi? If you are, why would you need a PPC, since a cheapo phone and your laptop would be the best solution. Or am I missing something?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb34 View Post
I hope they lose enough business that they will actually have to be competetive with their pricing.
That will never happen.

As far as the required data plan, 99% of the buyers won't be upset with that as they would have wanted a data plan on a PPC anyway........

~John
Old 10-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular
Threadstarter

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

So let me get this straight.

$199.99 for the phone.

$29.99 extra a month (plus what ever extra fees and tax's that generates )

With two years contact that adds up to a minimum $719.76

$719.76 + $199.99 = $919.75

$919.75 because Verizon says so???

Sorry I'll pass.

You know another thing, I have been reading how Verizon did this because there were so many people who got phones like this but did not get a data plan but then somehow ended up getting some kind of data charge on their phone and called up an complained.

So tell me who’s fault is that?

It would seem to me that if you got phone from them that had a function that you don’t have as part of your plan, then shouldn’t the phone and or your usage of it just not be able to do that via them?

Wouldn’t that have to do with something between the hardware maker, the windows operating system and even more Verizon themselves for not setting up things up so the phone cannot perform a function that you do not have in your plan?

I mean right now if my phone has a browser but I don’t have it as part of my service and I try to use it, it just won’t work right?

It would seem to me that if Verizon can’t have a system where a phone with no data plan can’t be prevented from incurring data usage, thats their fault not mine, so why should I have to pay them $719.76 extra because of that?

From what I’ve herd isn’t it just as easy as heck to hack the windows mobile OS to hands down just not make any data connection and just use WiFi no matter what?

Anyway well thanks guys I appreciate the reply but I guess there will be one more TP2 available for the rest of you to give them all that money.

I’m sorry but I just have to may other responsibilities to throw away $719.76 dollars for nothing.

Enjoy.

Last edited by WBFAir; 10-16-2009 at 09:06 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: CDMA Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VzW

mayoko185 is just getting started

For me this is a non-issue as my phone would be useless to me without a dataplan on it. Sure when im home I can turn on wifi but when im at work or out having fun 99% of the time im in a place w/o any wifi so the extra $30 a mo (really like $20 with my work discount) is well worth it for me. I still think vzw should give the option to block all data if one wants it but sadly dont think thatll ever happen. Only thing I can tell you is not get the TP2 if you cant afford/live with the extra change.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:16 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
Sorry I'll pass.

So go buy something else & leave the TP2's for people who are still trying to get one.

I am totally happy with my phone (& also with VZ service for that matter)

~John
Old 10-16-2009, 09:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G Rooted
Carrier: Sprint

Jocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJocelyn84 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Heya, Sprint's got their own problems so I'm in no way whatsoever trying to flaunt them here, not to mention their TP2 costs more, but I get this feel you really want this phone. I don't know, maybe this will help lol. Anyway, why don't you check out Sprint plans. If you want to...

Go to Http://sprint.com/sero enter russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com for email and 383 for the cid. 500 mins, anymobile anytime, unlimited texts, unlimited data, etc. for 59.99, which is the price I'm assuming you're paying now.

Also, you could call Sero/EPRP directly, 888-882-4030 and ask them for the plan I listed above, and see if they'll price match the 349 TP2 for Verizon's 199 price. If you do decide to call them, just remember they're gonna ask you for an employee's info, so write those 2 things down that I listed above. Lastly, if they won't match the TP2 price, say forget it, hang up and call back again later.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2