PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 08:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

djhcmd is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
VZW without data plan?

I couldnt track down a post directly relating to this subject but something tells me there is one.

Currently I am on VZW with the pay as you go data plan. I deleted the connection from my i760 and only use wifi. I have no need for anything but wifi as I live on a college campus and therefore always have wifi. I need to upgrade phones as my i760's screen is badly cracked. Verizon told me today that even if I bought a phone off ebay they would know what it was from the esn and would bill me for a data plan. Is this true? Is there anyone currently doing what I would like to do? I do not want to resign a contract and I really do not want to pay 30 dollars a month for something I wont use! Thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 08:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP1 > TP2 > Fascinate
Carrier: Verizon

bluruld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbluruld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbluruld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbluruld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbluruld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: VZW without data plan?

Yes this is true. Verizon requires data plans with certain ESNs. Which they are requiring now on pretty much everything other than a simple phone.

I got rid of my home internet and just tether my phone to my computer now to justify the $30 data plan.

Last edited by bluruld; 10-11-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:06 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

djhcmd is a n00b

I dont mean to question you but how positive are you? If I simply buy one off ebay who are they to add services and fees to my contract without my consent? Also, What if I were to buy myself a new i760. I am not dissatisfied with my current phone, the screen is just cracked pretty badly. If I rebuy the same phone on ebay, will they add the fees when I activate the new one?
Old 10-11-2009, 09:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

bluruld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbluruld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbluruld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbluruld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbluruld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'm 100% sure that data plans are required on certain phones which is tracked by ESNs. There was a deadline that any smart phone or ppc released after a certain date would require a data plan. I forget the exact date but it was around Nov08.

The good is the data plan is attached to the phone and not your contract. Lets say I get into money issues and need to save $30/mo. You can change your phone to a non data required phone and get rid of the data plan.

I have a friend who slaves at one of Verizon's Walmart like stores. This is how he has explained it to me.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

VZ absolutely requires data on any TP or TP2.

A guy I work with has an xv6800 with no data plan (he has WiFi 99% of the time) & he can't upgrade to a newer phone because of this (it makes no difference at all where you buy it from, they go by the ESN number)

~John
Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

djhcmd is a n00b

I dont think anyone has quite answered my question about the phone models though. If I were to purchase a used i760 off ebay would I then still be required to get a data plan when I activated it?
Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I believe we have.

Obviously the i760 ESNs don't require a data plan as you currently don't have one. So any i760 you buy won't require one.

ESN is how verizon knows who you are in their system. When they pull up your ESN they see your phone model. If that ESN belongs to a TP2 WHAM you must have a data plan. Apparently i760 was released before they started requiring data plans so it is optional.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

djhcmd is a n00b

thanks guys
Old 10-11-2009, 09:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6850 Touch pro

apache500 is just getting started

everything said above is correct. It is absolutely required. They started that with the TP1,omnia. etc. If u buy off ebay and try to activate it with *228 itll tell you to call customer service and theyll tell you its required. They told me there system wont let them activate a phone without a data plan. I already tried to talk my way out of it. I told them I had wifi all over too he said he was sorry but there system didn't allow it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: tp2

civichater is a n00b

Yes, All advanced devices like blackberrys and pdas that launched after nov '08 require at least a $30 a month data plan. Anything that is pre nov '08 does not, but if you don't want the plan the system will block national access from the phone. This means there will be no data in or out of the phone through the Verizon network. Wifi will still work.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2