PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus Mobility

tmac15 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC Pro 2 vs. Telus HSPA

Had two different LNR people at Telus tell me that the TP2 will NOT be able to take advantage of the HSPA network, only the current one. I don't see why they would tell me that seeing as at the time I had not purchased the phone yet, and it was a factor in my decision to purchase it. I guess only time will tell if the phone will be able to be used on the new network.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

Rick#2 is keeping up the good workRick#2 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith79 View Post
As for the TP2, it has the capability to utilize the 4G network, I never said it was a 4G/LTE phone!
First of all, you're dead wrong and are misleading others as well as yourself. Telus' upcoming UMTS/HSDPA network is based on 3G technology. The term "3.5G" is a marketing buzzword, not a technical milestone. For what it's worth, Telus' existing EVDO network is also technically a 3G network. Fourth generation wireless technology is still years away in Canada.

Your above statement does not make any sense either; how can a phone utilize a 4G network if it weren't a 4G phone? A necessary condition for utilizing a 4G network would be a 4G-capable phone.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

Again, 4G = LTE, this IS NOT an LTE phone, nor is any phone currently available in America. Therefore, it will not work on a 4G network.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Rogers

wraith79 is keeping up the good workwraith79 is keeping up the good work

Ok, first of all, I am not here to get ganged up on, second, I already know the network Telus is on, is a 3G network! Oh, and just you all know 4G DOES NOT = LTE. The LTE network is a completely new network, the GSM network that Telus and Bell are switching to in the new year IS the 4G, thats why it is going to be the principle network until the LTE (Long Term Evolution) network is up and running, its the pre-cursor to the network. So, YES, the TP2 will work on the 4G network, and so will the HTC Snap (Cedar)!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Rogers

wraith79 is keeping up the good workwraith79 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick#2 View Post
First of all, you're dead wrong and are misleading others as well as yourself. Telus' upcoming UMTS/HSDPA network is based on 3G technology. The term "3.5G" is a marketing buzzword, not a technical milestone. For what it's worth, Telus' existing EVDO network is also technically a 3G network. Fourth generation wireless technology is still years away in Canada.

Ok, for the above statment, 3.5G is not a milestone and I know that, but, 3.5G is the same as Winmo 6.5, its a small change to get ready for the new network!

Your above statement does not make any sense either; how can a phone utilize a 4G network if it weren't a 4G phone? A necessary condition for utilizing a 4G network would be a 4G-capable phone.
A phone that utilizes the 4G network is just like an old 2G cellphone that can use the 3G or the Edge network. Its called network compatibility, or have we all forgotten the meaning of that!? Look, I am just writing here what I have heard from my inside sources! And in the long run, we will just have to wait and see whats going to happen! And if I am wrong, I will openly admit it! Does that seem fair to everyone?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Telus Mobility

tmac15 is a n00b

Quote:
Ok, first of all, I am not here to get ganged up on, second, I already know the network Telus is on, is a 3G network! Oh, and just you all know 4G DOES NOT = LTE. The LTE network is a completely new network, the GSM network that Telus and Bell are switching to in the new year IS the 4G, thats why it is going to be the principle network until the LTE (Long Term Evolution) network is up and running, its the pre-cursor to the network. So, YES, the TP2 will work on the 4G network, and so will the HTC Snap (Cedar)!
First off, 4G is a marketing term, it is actually called LTE, which is neither GSM or CDMA but would be what you refer to as a 4G network, Second telus uses 3G EVDO right now and is switching to 3G HSPA not a 4G network. They have plans somewhere far down the line to launch LTE but the network they are switching to for the Van 2010 olympics is a 3G HSPA network. The TP2 could not possibly utilize a 4G network because there are no real 4G standards set right now in North America.

Noone is ganging up on you, you seemed to be misinformed thats all.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:54 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD, TP2
Carrier: AT&T, Sprint

manicottiK is a n00b

Quote:
4G DOES NOT = LTE
Technically, that's right, but only because there are other, non-LTE technologies in the common definition of 4G, specifically WiMax.

The problem is that 3G, in the "GSM" world, relateds to the UMTS standard -- a standard for a network that few operators actually run. (In the "CDMA" world, 3G usually means EVDO.) What AT&T runs and what Telus is deploying is an HSPA network. The various HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA, and HSPA+ standards fall into what is commonly called 3.5G. Much of this is marketing speak and thus drives the really technical folks a bit nuts.

Both LTE and WiMax fall into the 4G classification. ClearWire (combined with Sprint's resources) operates a WiMax network in several U.S. cities with a bunch more supposedly coming up later this calendar year. Verizon just did a Boston-Seattle call in LTE, but isn't taking customers for this network yet. Essentially, that's it for 4G here in the States in mid-2009.

More info on the marketing/technical intersection of the "G's" can be found at
2G, 3G, 3.5G, 4G, 5G, 6G…cleaning the mobile telco standards mess. While I'm not thrilled with all of the definitions in the article and the info there is two and a half years out of date, it's not a not a bad review.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:35 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: BB Tour/iPhone 3G S
Carrier: Rogers/TELUS

Kronk86 is just getting started

As a person who works in the industry, let me clear some things up.

The HTC Touch Pro2 will absolutely NOT work on the TELUS/Bell HSPA network. It works on completely different frequencies (2100mhz, 900mhz) The TELUS/Bell network will be 1900/850, exactly the same as Rogers.

As a previous person said, 3.5G network is just a buzz word. HSPA is capable of up to a 14Mpbs down-link which is what TELUS/Bell will have.

Rogers is moving towards an HSPA plus network in 2010 with speeds of a 21Mbps down-link.

The fourth generation LTE network will first be launched by TELUS/Bell in 2012ish in Canada.

As for the special guy who keeps saying the new network from TELUS/Bell is a 4G network, it is not 4G in any sense of the term.

LTE (or the 4G network) will however, be backwards compatible with HSPA and GSM/GPRS unlink WiMax. That is a whole other issue though.

So i hope i cleared that up for a certain few of you who keep arguing without any actual information to back you up.

Have a good night, Folks! Kronk out!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Rick#2 is keeping up the good workRick#2 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk86 View Post

The HTC Touch Pro2 will absolutely NOT work on the TELUS/Bell HSPA network. It works on completely different frequencies (2100mhz, 900mhz) The TELUS/Bell network will be 1900/850, exactly the same as Rogers.
Great post! The only thing I disagree with is that there is some speculation that the Touch Pro2 may work on the upcoming UMTS network. There have been a couple of leaks that the Qualcomm chipset used for the CDMA/GSM hybrid Pro2 used by Telus does in fact have the hardware capability to make use of the 850/1900MHz bands but have been locked down via software... which suggests that perhaps they can be unlocked somewhere down the line. (I'm not holding my breath that they'll ever be officially unlocked, though.)

However, it's all speculation so only time will tell. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

leanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I have attached a screenshot of the band selection page in my Pro2. It is a hidden setting that I enabled.

It shows that it has the following band selections:
gsm (900+1800) + UMTS(2100+900)
gsm(1900+850) +UMTS (1900+850)
UMTS(2100)

So, I may be not a techie, but it appears to me, that you would just have to select the proper set of bands.... Am I right? Or am I not reading it correctly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen01.jpg (8.4 KB, 7 views) Click for barcode!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2