PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[SOLVED] A few questins about tethering

First question:

When selecting Internet Sharing from the USB to PC pop up menu , plugged into my dads HP desktop with XP media center edition , i get the error (on the comp) generic RNDIS device found . so i go through the wizard to install the drivers and it says it cant find them ....

Is there a .exe/.msi install file that can install JUST the drivers needed without needing to install activesync onto his computer ? or can i take the driver files from my Windows 7 x64 bit laptop and put them on his ?

Second question:

I always used WMWiFiRouter as my tethering app and never experienced any additional charges . when using the Internet Sharing option from the USB to PC pop up menu must i install a stealth tethering cab ?

Im very confused as to this whole stealth tethering . i have read MM and MR.X's thread about it and for some reason the more i read the more confused i get . lol . what exactly is stealth tethering ?

Thanks in advanced guys !!!

Last edited by elesbb; 02-21-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: A few questins about tethering

1) windows xp based computers have a habit of only recognizing the last usb setting u had the tp2 on from before the menu pops up so try to set it to internet sharing within the usb to pc menu before connecting, or u can download activesync 4.5 from ms which should have the drivers but this only applies to syncing and rom flashing, shouldnt have anything to do with tethering.

2)it is reccomended that a stealth tethering cab be installed when tethering, most custom roms have this feature cooked in so its usually not a concern

3)stealth tethering is when one tethers without their carrier being able to detect it. it is feared that if one is busted for tethering the carrier may 1) charge the person (which has happend to mighty mike and a few others ) 2) throttle the speed or even 3) terminate the contract/service.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

+1
Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Threadstarter

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep

thanks eric ! and horndoctor !

Can one of you point me in the right direction of a stealth tethering tab ? like one that is great and has no worries ?? im actually working on cooking it into my final ROM . thats why i asked about it . lol . thanks again guys !
Old 02-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
1) windows xp based computers have a habit of only recognizing the last usb setting u had the tp2 on from before the menu pops up so try to set it to internet sharing within the usb to pc menu before connecting, or u can download activesync 4.5 from ms which should have the drivers but this only applies to syncing and rom flashing, shouldnt have anything to do with tethering.
The thing is , it doesnt not recognize it .. like i plug in the phone to my dads computer , the USB to PC menu pops up i select internet sharing .. the phone is doing all it is supposed to be doing and all is fine . but on the computer end of things .. it tells me its found new hardware . and the hardware listed is the "Generic RNDIS" and when i click to install it it cant find the drivers .. i was wondering if there was a way around getting it to work without installing activsync 4.5 ..
Old 02-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
thanks eric ! and horndoctor !

Can one of you point me in the right direction of a stealth tethering tab ? like one that is great and has no worries ?? im actually working on cooking it into my final ROM . thats why i asked about it . lol . thanks again guys !
This post should have everything you need:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/1646574-post.html

Quote:
The thing is , it doesnt not recognize it .. like i plug in the phone to my dads computer , the USB to PC menu pops up i select internet sharing .. the phone is doing all it is supposed to be doing and all is fine . but on the computer end of things .. it tells me its found new hardware . and the hardware listed is the "Generic RNDIS" and when i click to install it it cant find the drivers .. i was wondering if there was a way around getting it to work without installing activsync 4.5 ..
Have you tried exiting out of the wizard on your PC and trying to see if your PC sees the internet connection?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Have you tried exiting out of the wizard on your PC and trying to see if your PC sees the internet connection?
That wont work. You need the RNDIS drivers from MS. Usually found by installing A/S or WMDC.

Quote:
Is there a .exe/.msi install file that can install JUST the drivers needed without needing to install activesync onto his computer ? or can i take the driver files from my Windows 7 x64 bit laptop and put them on his ?
Actuallly....... That might work.... You may need the 32 bit versions though. In program files\Activesync\ there should be a DRIVERS folder. You should be able to copy that ont a USB drive or CD or something and point the driver install wizard to that location. that would install the drivers without installing A/S. It SHOULD work but I have not tested it. Read that other people had made it work on XDA. Once again... It SHOULD work but I have not tested it.

Maybe someone here can upload the drivers folder for you... I cant.... Im at work....

Good luck!

-Scott

EDIT: Why are you apposed to installing A/S? And does your pop have a wifi card on his PC?

Donations always accepted but never expected!

Last edited by scrosler; 02-19-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Threadstarter

i love quick responses thanks horndoctor .. how do i go abouts cooking what was said in the thread into my kitchen ? i mean i know how to create reg entries but how do i delete them when cooking ?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Threadstarter

oh and yes that would be awesome scott , i would love if someone uploaded the "drivers" dir of their windows xp computer .
Old 02-19-2011, 04:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
oh and yes that would be awesome scott , i would love if someone uploaded the "drivers" dir of their windows xp computer .
No no, you dont want the entire drivers folder of the XP machine, you just want "C:\Program Files\Active Sync\Drivers"

Why dont you want to install A/S?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2