PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 11:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

BullyDawg is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question My TP2 won't start up with data connection automatically

Every time I turn on my TP2 or soft-reset, my data network connection disappears. I can make calls, but get a data failure. If I go into "Data Connections", only "My Work" is listed. If I go into "Advanced" tab from there and press "Select Networks", my regular data connection is there ("Verizon Wireless"). I can then back out and turn on the data.

Kind of a pain in the a$$ to do that every time, though!

Anyone have any ideas on getting my TP2 to start up with a data connection active?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: My TP2 won't start up with data connection automatically

Wow, that sounds really annoying.

I'm not a VZW genius, but I'm happy to take a shot at this. Mind trying some troubleshooting to help me help you?

1) I have my TP2 set to load my IE home page on startup, so that a data connection is ready to go ASAP. I did that by putting a shortcut to IE in my Windows\StartUp folder with Total Commander. Does that help you, or do you still get a data call failure with that?

2) Is the bug still present after soft or hard resets?

3) I'm not up to speed on VZW, but last I knew they had a *228 activation system you could call into and use to get your phone re-programmed. Have you tried that? If it helps, I *think* there is a way to back up those settings, though I'm not sure how.

4) Are you still running a stock ROM? If not, it could possibly be the case that there is a bug in whatever custom ROM you're running, and maybe a Task 29 (complete internal flash ROM wipe) and reflash will help?

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyDawg View Post
Every time I turn on my TP2 or soft-reset, my data network connection disappears. I can make calls, but get a data failure. If I go into "Data Connections", only "My Work" is listed. If I go into "Advanced" tab from there and press "Select Networks", my regular data connection is there ("Verizon Wireless"). I can then back out and turn on the data.

Kind of a pain in the a$$ to do that every time, though!

Anyone have any ideas on getting my TP2 to start up with a data connection active?

Last edited by SweetBearCub; 12-06-2010 at 12:21 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
Wow, that sounds really annoying.

I'm not a VZW genius, but I'm happy to take a shot at this. Mind trying some troubleshooting to help me help you?

1) I have my TP2 set to load my IE home page on startup, so that a data connection is ready to go ASAP. I did that by putting a shortcut to IE in my Windows\StartUp folder with Total Commander. Does that help you, or do you still get a data call failure with that?

2) Is the bug still present after soft or hard resets?

3) I'm not up to speed on VZW, but last I knew they had a *228 activation system you could call into and use to get your phone re-programmed. Have you tried that? If it helps, I *think* there is a way to back up those settings, though I'm not sure how.

4) Are you still running a stock ROM? If not, it could possibly be the case that there is a bug in whatever custom ROM you're running, and maybe a Task 29 (complete internal flash ROM wipe) and reflash will help?

Good luck!
Thanks Sweet Bear Cub. To answer your q's:
1) Still get a data error unless I go through the listed steps.
2) Yes.
3) Still present after several *228 activations.
4) Stock rom -- VzW's MR2 (WM6.5/Sense 2.5).
Would sure like to avoid a hard-reset. (I'm not sure it's THAT much of a pain!)

Problem seemed to start after a recent trip where I used my TP2 on a flight to access Wi-Fi. It kept bugging me with network connection errors until I went into Airplane mode and then Wi-Fi. (I have since returned Wi-Fi to disabled as a battery saver).
Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Hmm. I don't see the correlation between you switching to WiFi one day and then having this bug start. But, with Windows Mobile, anything is possible..

I had an idea. On more recent Sprint WinMo phones, there is a (non-standard/non-stock) service that HTC & maybe Sprint added, its function is to revert any changes to the Connections area. I have no idea if it exists on your phone, but it might be worth checking.

Try this:

1) With a registry editor, go to: [HKLM\Services\CMGuardian] (It may be misspelled as CMGaurdian)
2) Create a new DWORD value called "Flags" and set the value data to "4". If it is already there then.. hmmm.
3) Wait 2 full minutes. Windows Mobile does not always commit registry edits right away, and if you soft-reset before they are committed, they will be lost. After 2 minutes, soft reset.

If the problem recurs, try going into the Connections settings area to fix it, then wait 2 minutes (like you did after you edited the registrty) and soft-rest. After that, does the error still happen?
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thumbs up FIXED! (My TP2 won't start up with data connection automatically)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
Hmm. I don't see the correlation between you switching to WiFi one day and then having this bug start. But, with Windows Mobile, anything is possible..

I had an idea. On more recent Sprint WinMo phones, there is a (non-standard/non-stock) service that HTC & maybe Sprint added, its function is to revert any changes to the Connections area. I have no idea if it exists on your phone, but it might be worth checking.

Try this:

1) With a registry editor, go to: [HKLM\Services\CMGuardian] (It may be misspelled as CMGaurdian)
2) Create a new DWORD value called "Flags" and set the value data to "4". If it is already there then.. hmmm.
3) Wait 2 full minutes. Windows Mobile does not always commit registry edits right away, and if you soft-reset before they are committed, they will be lost. After 2 minutes, soft reset.

If the problem recurs, try going into the Connections settings area to fix it, then wait 2 minutes (like you did after you edited the registrty) and soft-rest. After that, does the error still happen?
The Registry fix worked! (For now at least.) What was the effect of the Flags/4?

THANKS A MILLION! SweetBearCub rocks!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Re: FIXED! (My TP2 won't start up with data connection automatically)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyDawg View Post
The Registry fix worked! (For now at least.) What was the effect of the Flags/4?

THANKS A MILLION! SweetBearCub rocks!
Flags/4 sets the service to Manual or Disabled, I forget which, instead of Automatic.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

well apparently theres a new rom update for VZW people today, try that.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2