PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: How reliable is your connection when tethering your tp2 as a modem?
My connection pretty much never fails. (Please describe your location and setup in a comment) 13 43.33%
I can use tethering for light use, but cannot use the connection heavily 8 26.67%
I can connect for short periods of time for emergency use 2 6.67%
I'm not able to get tethering to work. 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 03:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

garyflynn is keeping up the good workgaryflynn is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tips for tethering?

I use Sprint and am in New York City. I can use my tp2 as a modem, but the connection is always disconnected from the remote server after a short time, especially if I download something.

Is there something I'm missing? For example do I have to make sure to keep the phone cool, or is there a data pattern that Sprint's servers can detect that will trigger a disconnection? Or is there a helper application that may improve the tethering connection?

I'm using an energy-rom right now but have had this problem (which was never a big deal because I almost always have a different internet source) even back in my TP1 days, across a whole bunch of roms.

Does anyone have a key or secret to sustained use of the tp2 as a modem, especially in New York if the location is an issue?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: USCC

Oditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Tips for tethering?

I can tether via WiFi for a long time But what is a long time? I have kept a connection for 30 minutes, but that is about as long as I needed. My home internet speed is a lot faster than the TP2 can muster out, and since I share my wireless with a couple neighbors who pay half the cost (Which means it's free to me) I have no plans to shut off Comcast to tether to the TP2. I will connect on the road to my netbook once in a while. But 99% of all hotels have free wireless internet. So the longest I needed was about 30 minutes, then I shut it down and went out for a ride.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro

ppclover2 is just getting started

when you say tether I think of a direct USB connection...phone as modem/internet sharing option. I am running MaxSense Rom and I cannont connect via internet sharing but I can do wifisharing

On the poll i chose I cannot tether...I've tried just about every cab fix i have
Old 09-26-2010, 12:08 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppclover2 View Post
when you say tether I think of a direct USB connection...phone as modem/internet sharing option. I am running MaxSense Rom and I cannont connect via internet sharing but I can do wifisharing

On the poll i chose I cannot tether...I've tried just about every cab fix i have
your with sprint so shouldnt be a issue or need cabs. i never couldnt usb tether. switch ports on pc or try a different usb cable and make sure nothing is in phones usb port. (dust/ect)
Old 09-26-2010, 03:52 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

ive tethered my TP1s for DAYS at a time without disconnecting... never had my TP2 going for more than 5 or 6 hours though.. i have 3TP1s still, so i rarely need to tether with my TP2..

as far as location: Metro Detroit and in an apt bldg
Old 09-26-2010, 04:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

DatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to DatBoiDame Send a message via MSN to DatBoiDame Send a message via Yahoo to DatBoiDame Send a message via Skype™ to DatBoiDame

This may sound crazy but my tethering experience changed when I ditched my Windows XP (nothing wrong with it, ran fine) and bought a Windows 7 pc. On XP I couldnt get tethering going for long, maybe 3 or 4 hours. But now with Windows 7, it stays connected until I disconnect. BTW I never changed any info in my phone as far as tethering, so both OS's ran off the same setup.

Could operating system make a difference? Or am I just crazy? LOL
Old 09-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: the one that slides open
Carrier: Douchebags

bobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuffbobturismo knows their stuff

How's your reception?

When I went to Las Vegas recently, I couldn't get tethering to work for more than few minutes when I was at the hotel we were staying at, as soon as I walked outside, it worked a lot better.

On top of which, where you are at is simply high traffic and high signal noise. Tell everyone to stop using their sprint internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiDame View Post
This may sound crazy but my tethering experience changed when I ditched my Windows XP (nothing wrong with it, ran fine) and bought a Windows 7 pc. On XP I couldnt get tethering going for long, maybe 3 or 4 hours. But now with Windows 7, it stays connected until I disconnect. BTW I never changed any info in my phone as far as tethering, so both OS's ran off the same setup.

This is definitely another possibility, but more along the lines of your settings.

If you are running XP, backup everything on your computer and format your hard drive. Not only will you have a fresh and smooth running copy of XP, you'll know the computer will be at it's optimum.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:45 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

DatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDatBoiDame is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to DatBoiDame Send a message via MSN to DatBoiDame Send a message via Yahoo to DatBoiDame Send a message via Skype™ to DatBoiDame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobturismo View Post
This is definitely another possibility, but more along the lines of your settings.

If you are running XP, backup everything on your computer and format your hard drive. Not only will you have a fresh and smooth running copy of XP, you'll know the computer will be at it's optimum.
Thanks & Thanked, never thought of doing that to see if I could get a better performance out of that pc! Might give that a go next time I feel like hooking it up!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiDame

I suspect that Windows7 is probably why you and the threadstarter are having issues.
I would almost bet there is some kind of power saving feature at work that may be disconnecting the link between your device and your pc. Check all the power settings of your OS and also the power saving settings of your pc's BIOS to see if something is set to sleep or hibernate your usb connections.

Last edited by horndoctor; 09-27-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO_Shift

slantyshanty is a n00b

I don't know about a TP2 but I use my TP1 for tethering all the time. I had the same issues you are having a long time ago and it ended up being the USB cable I was using. I was using the cable that came with the phone but it broke so I started using an aftermarket mini-usb cable and it was doing what you described. So, I stole the wifes cable that came with her TP and it never happened again. Now I just use wifi-tethering though.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2