PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 04:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G in the US, TP2 in Prague
Carrier: Sprint/T Mobile CZ

mplsfalls1973 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can these tethering speeds be correct?

I just tried the HTC Wi-Fi sharing cab and downloaded Open Office and am wondering if the speeds I was getting can be accurate. I was getting speeds around 5-6mbps for the duration of the download. The entire 174MB file took 4 minutes and 37 seconds. How is this possible, I thought EVDO rev a speeds were supposed to be only around 1.8mbps. I live in downtown Chicago.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:23 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Can these tethering speeds be correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsfalls1973 View Post
I just tried the HTC Wi-Fi sharing cab and downloaded Open Office and am wondering if the speeds I was getting can be accurate. I was getting speeds around 5-6mbps for the duration of the download. The entire 174MB file took 4 minutes and 37 seconds. How is this possible, I thought EVDO rev a speeds were supposed to be only around 1.8mbps. I live in downtown Chicago.
well thats not far off the typical ROM download size.. and it takes me about 25 minutes to download, tethering my laptop..

does the file work?? sometimes they corrupt and appear to be downloaded but when you goto un-.rar it, it errors out and fails..
Old 08-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

That is really flying! Do you know where the nearest tower is?

Last edited by demonlordoftheround; 08-14-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
well thats not far off the typical ROM download size.. and it takes me about 25 minutes to download, tethering my laptop..

does the file work?? sometimes they corrupt and appear to be downloaded but when you goto un-.rar it, it errors out and fails..
The file worked perfectly. I was just wondering because if I am able to get speeds like this with my TP2 I do not see any rush to upgrade to 4g.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

That is really flying! Do you know where the nearest tower is?
The nearest tower is across the river from me close on the West Side of Lake Shore Drive and the North side of the Chicago River. I would guess maybe 400 meters from my flat.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:32 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsfalls1973 View Post
The file worked perfectly. I was just wondering because if I am able to get speeds like this with my TP2 I do not see any rush to upgrade to 4g.
and your just using Wifi Router or ICS on your phone to tether your PC or laptop for this??

i mean, those speeds are more than double than whats even suppose to be capable with 3g

EDIT.. your not like stealing your neighbors wifi signal in your phone and using that to usb tether into you NON-wifi capable PC/laptop are you?? i guess this could only be done with WMWifiRouter though because it has the WIFItoUSB option the other ones dont have... obviously if this is the case, that explains the speeds

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 08-14-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
and your just using Wifi Router or ICS on your phone to tether your PC or laptop for this??

i mean, those speeds are more than double than whats even suppose to be capable with 3g

Yes I am just using Wifi Router. I installed a program called DU meter midway through the download just to see if the download could actually be as fast as it seemed.

I would agree that it seems strange because this is faster than EVDO rev. a should be capable of. When I did a speed test on the phone itself earlier I was getting around 1.5mbps and when I tried a speed test using broadband reports prior to downloading Open Office it showed a test speed of 1.8mbps. I do not know if there is some kind of compression algorithim used in downloading files or not though.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:

EDIT.. your not like stealing your neighbors wifi signal in your phone and using that to usb tether into you NON-wifi capable PC/laptop are you?? i guess this could only be done with WMWifiRouter though because it has the WIFItoUSB option the other ones dont have... obviously if this is the case, that explains the speeds
No, I had just reset the phone due to it hanging earlier this morning. It was going purely off the Sprint network. The phone did get hot as hell though.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:46 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

your not a premium account holder on like rapidshare, megaupload,hotfile wherever you downloaded from are you?? because that changes ALOT right there.. they throttle back speed big time...

i almost hate having to download NRGY from hotfile because for whatever reason i get limited to like 30-50kb/s but in megaupload and rapidshare i double sometime triple that... even when i do BitComet(think Utorrent), i get well into the 200-300s for downloading..

just trying to see like you man how it happened.. im not trying to knock you down just know that
Old 08-14-2010, 04:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
your not a premium account holder on like rapidshare, megaupload,hotfile wherever you downloaded from are you?? because that changes ALOT right there.. they throttle back speed big time...

i almost hate having to download NRGY from hotfile because for whatever reason i get limited to like 30-50kb/s but in megaupload and rapidshare i double sometime triple that... even when i do BitComet(think Utorrent), i get well into the 200-300s for downloading..

just trying to see like you man how it happened.. im not trying to knock you down just know that
No, I downloaded right from the Open Office website.

Just to clarify I am running the 2.32WU radio, I do not know if that would make any difference.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2