PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bing: Don't Like New Version; Won't Let Me Use Old One

Verizon HTC Touch Pro 2, Stock ROM 6.1.

I generally use Garmin Mobile XT for navigation, and Google for general search, but really liked Bing for Movies, and occasionally Gas Prices.

I went to do a quick Movie check, and it basically said I had to upgrade in order to continue using Bing. So I allowed it to upgrade me to "Bing for Verizon." During this process:

Got a message along the lines of asking me to let it stop Outlook in order to proceed (??). I said ok. It completed installation, and started up. Unfortunately, it couldn't detect a GPS connection. I fired up Google Maps, and it had no problem. I soft reset and tried again, but no luck. Tried COM4, as well as the default 'intermediate' driver, but neither would allow a connection. (This version was 5.1.2010.xxxx)

I uninstalled the "Bing for Verizon" and downloaded and installed directly from m.bing.com/download. This time I was able to use GPS without problem.

But the interface, for my purposes, is terrible, and much worse than the prior version. Previously I could hit the movie button, it would show a variety of theaters in my location, and I could switch back and forth between movies at that location, the list of theaters, check reviews, etc. Very slick.

Now, when I hit the Movies button, it brings up a short list of Movies, rather than theaters. And when I go to the theater list, it brings up a theater about 7 miles away, apparently oblivious of the one right in my home town (!!!).

So, I uninstalled that one, found a .cab for an older version, and tried that out. Unfortunately, when I try to run it, it once again leaves me no choice but to go to upgrade, and I am unable to even use the older version.

Yet another genius move on Microsoft's part, forcing the use of a newer program despite my preferring the older version, with the functionality of the newer version (for my purposes at least) dramatically inferior.

Does anybody know of a way to work around this, and allow the continued use of the older Bing application? Or some way to configure the newer version to work with the same functionality as the old one?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 PM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man
Pocket PC: HTC Evo & TP2
Carrier: SpRinT

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JDM_SOHC
Re: Bing: Don't Like New Version; Won't Let Me Use Old One

Damn that's crazy, the new Bing blows the old one out of the water for me...

Old 07-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

SeekMocha is a n00b

The new "Bing for VZW" is a total farce. It's forced on you, no choice. In my case it happened in the middle of a busy day where I was relying on Live Search to find my way around. Erases all your old saved locations/destinations, then blows up after a few minutes - keeps reporting over and over again that a "New Update" is available. I installed, removed, reinstalled 6 times, installed on both main device memory and storage card. In the few minutes when it was working, I noticed that the location icon is now smaller, harder to see and has no arrowhead to indicate direction. Also the program exit "X" in upper right corner is now missing - Am I now expected to leave this power hog running continuously? Also the old Bing allowed me to point at a location on the map, mark it, save it, and name it to use as a destination in the future. Can't find this function on the new, improved Bing. If it's there it's no longer the least bit intuitive.

So, it's buggy, it's rude, has a bad interface and generally s*u*c*k*s.

Oh, all this took place on my HTC Touch Pro2 (Verizon).

I do need navigation in Tijuana, which the old Bing excelled at. The new "Bing for VZW" won't stay running for more than a few blocks.

Anybody know a good third party GPS app that covers Tijuana? (Google Maps does not cover Mexico.)
Old 07-16-2010, 12:24 AM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep

That's weird since Bing for Sprint is working 110% for me... Went on a 3 hour cruise today and used Bing the whole time...
Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2, x50v
Carrier: Sprint

stcardinal is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_SOHC View Post
That's weird since Bing for Sprint is working 110% for me... Went on a 3 hour cruise today and used Bing the whole time...
I like Bing, but I haven't actually used it for its turn by turn nav which is why I'm using it in the first place. Do you know if it's accurate or how fast it can relocate you?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 AM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man

works great for me, gps locks instantaneously...
Old 07-16-2010, 06:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad it works well for some, and that their particular uses are served by the new version. But getting back to my original questions:

1. Is there some way to get the newer version to function more like the old in terms of Movie Theater and Movie searches? As I said initially, this is about the only reason I used Bing in the past. I have Garmin Mobile XT for actual navigation.

2. Is there some way to get the older version to run, without the "required" update?

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

commemoratives is a n00b

I have a stock TP2 on sprint and had stayed with the Live! app which was forced to upgrade last night as you describe. I re-installed the original cab and was again asked to update with no option to continue.

It looks like you either use the latest Bing or nothing.

So sad. In my case it will be nothing for now.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

i have no issues with movies on the latest bing. u press the movies button and it then lists all the movies that are playing and then u select the movie u want to see where it then gives the closest theaters where its playing at followed by its times. what exactly is the problem?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
i have no issues with movies on the latest bing. u press the movies button and it then lists all the movies that are playing and then u select the movie u want to see where it then gives the closest theaters where its playing at followed by its times. what exactly is the problem?
For whatever reason, the database it seems to use now completely leaves out the movie theater in my home town. So it doesn't even show up as an option.

With the prior version, it showed my town's theater, and a half-dozen or more in surrounding towns. Now, it shows only a single of out of town theater.

When I do the initial search for Movies from the Home Screen, it shows a total of 5 movies! I have to hit the "Back" button to see the Theaters, and then it shows only one theater, which is 7 miles away.

If I then click on that Theater, it doesn't show what movies are playing there, and there doesn't seem to be an option to display that. I can call it, show directions, save it as a favorite, etc., but what the heck - I can't see what movies are playing there???

So basically, it's worthless, at least for my geographic location.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2