PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

oldgarfield is keeping up the good workoldgarfield is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to make windows start menu and Programs Tab coexist?

Updates: With SK Shortcut Manger and the method provided in the XDA link, Now creating a folder on Programs Tab takes less than a minute.

Hi,

I have tried many methods in stock Sprint ROM. It seems that you either have Windows Start Menu (old style) or Manila Start Menu (Programs Tab). You cannot have both.

In 6.5 ROM, however, you can have both. (When you click Start, you get the Windows Start Menu). When you slide the tabs, you get Program Tabs) Is there any way to make 6.1 to have both?

Thanks!

Last edited by oldgarfield; 01-24-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon

msh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good workmsh441 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to msh441 Send a message via Yahoo to msh441
Re: How to make windows start menu and Programs Tab coexist?

I might be misunderstanding what you're asking.

With my Verizon phone, under both 6.1 and 6.5, if you enabled the adiitional HTC "Programs" tab ("My Application in Sense 2.1), you automaticlly got the stock windows start menue when you press the start button (either a colum of program icons in 6.1, or the honeycomb icons in 6.5).

Either the Sprint ROM is different, or your looking to be able to choose one or the other while having the programs tab?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: MoPho

krnfrk6663 is keeping up the good workkrnfrk6663 is keeping up the good workkrnfrk6663 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to krnfrk6663 Send a message via MSN to krnfrk6663 Send a message via Yahoo to krnfrk6663

He wants the start and the quickmenu. I mean quick menu, and the programs tab.. I think. lol

Last edited by krnfrk6663; 01-23-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh441 View Post
I might be misunderstanding what you're asking.

With my Verizon phone, under both 6.1 and 6.5, if you enabled the adiitional HTC "Programs" tab ("My Application in Sense 2.1), you automaticlly got the stock windows start menue when you press the start button (either a colum of program icons in 6.1, or the honeycomb icons in 6.5).

Either the Sprint ROM is different, or your looking to be able to choose one or the other while having the programs tab?
I don't like the 1 column program icons or even 4 column program icons (applying the patch) because I have too many programs and I would like to create folders to organize them into different categories, like what came with MightyROM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnfrk6663 View Post
He wants the start and the quickmenu. I mean quick menu, and the programs tab.. I think. lol
Right. I love everything of 6.5 ROM except that I cannot get iGO with TTS working. Now with stock Sprint ROM iGO works flawlessly. But the interface is less user-friendly.

Anyway I figured it out by myself. With some registry hacks now I am able to have old style start menu when I click start and old style program folders (with new customized WM 6.5 icons, . Plus I can access the program tabs either by sliding the taskbar or press the home key.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul --> TP --> TP2 --> Transform --> Epic

tkjames is becoming a great contributor

What registry edits did you do? I have 6.1 and installed the cab that puts the "Programs" tab back on the slider, as well as the one that puts 4 programs in the row. But having the "Programs" tab changed my hard key start button; now when I press it, it opens the old school drop-down start menu. I want the start button to open the "Programs" tab like it does on a factory fresh TP2.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgarfield View Post
Anyway I figured it out by myself. With some registry hacks now I am able to have old style start menu when I click start and old style program folders (with new customized WM 6.5 icons, . Plus I can access the program tabs either by sliding the taskbar or press the home key.
I'd be very interested in the specifics of what you did here as well.

I'm content with the Stock WM6.1 ROM on Verizon, but would like to be able to add Folders to the TF3D Start Menu system, and not just Programs. That would work just fine for me, so if your edits will allow me to do that, then bring it on!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

onree is just getting started

I'd also like to know what registry edits you used ... for what it's worth, I used the Send Key (hold) function in buttons settings and mapped it to the Start Menu. So at least I can get to the old Start Menu that way. (This is on Sprint stock ROM.)
Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul --> TP --> TP2 --> Transform --> Epic

tkjames is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I'd be very interested in the specifics of what you did here as well.

I'm content with the Stock WM6.1 ROM on Verizon, but would like to be able to add Folders to the TF3D Start Menu system, and not just Programs. That would work just fine for me, so if your edits will allow me to do that, then bring it on!
The following was posted by JMorton10 in another thread. I have not tried it myself, but if it's the solution you're looking for, find him and give him "thanks"...

hook the phone to your LT with ActiveSync. [I prefer to access my folders on the phone itself using File Explorer.]

Then go to Windows/Start menu/Programs. Once you're in there, right click & create a new folder & name it whatever you want (you can see the one I created called "applications", I have all my most used everyday apps listed in there so I can get to them in one click with no scrolling))

Then drag/copy whatever existing shortcuts from outside the folder into it. After that, I usually delete the original shortcut.

~John
Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkjames View Post
The following was posted by JMorton10 in another thread. I have not tried it myself, but if it's the solution you're looking for, find him and give him "thanks"...

hook the phone to your LT with ActiveSync. [I prefer to access my folders on the phone itself using File Explorer.]

Then go to Windows/Start menu/Programs. Once you're in there, right click & create a new folder & name it whatever you want (you can see the one I created called "applications", I have all my most used everyday apps listed in there so I can get to them in one click with no scrolling))

Then drag/copy whatever existing shortcuts from outside the folder into it. After that, I usually delete the original shortcut.

~John
John,

I remember that post, and know JMorton to be a great guy. I think I responded in that thread, though, that this will not work for the TF3D Start Menu, only the 'regular' Windows Mobile Menus.

What several of us want to do is to keep the TF3D User Interface, but have the ability to add Folderes as one or more of the 10x3 array of Icons that the TF3D Start Menu provides. As it is now, there doesn't seem to be the ability to add Folders, only Shortcuts to Programs.

For example, when I look at the Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder now, there is a Folder for "Games" but that doesn't appear in the 10x3 Array of the TF3D Start Menu, nor does it appear as a choice when I remove one of those, and want to replace it with something different.

Thanks for the reply, though.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2