PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

bast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is something wrong with me?? Custom ROMS = Not impressed....

I know I'm asking for it by posting this....

I've had my VZW Touch Pro 2 since the first week that they came out. From day one I was checking PPC Geeks every day with the rest of you guys waiting for the HSPL to drop so I could get back to a custom ROM. Having had the memory deficient VZW TP1, custom ROM's were my life saver and turned the phone from a piece of junk to a fast, stable, very usable device.

Using the TP2 on the stock rom though, day in day out, I was pretty surprised. It wasn't as fast as my tweaked TP1 in some ways, but it's been rock solid stable. By the time HSPL came out, I had done a lot to tweak the stock ROM and really had it working very nicely, almost no complaints, and having tried a bunch of 6.5 ROMs on my TP1, I had not been impressed, feeling them to be slow and buggy.

So, until a few days ago, I've still been stock. But then the VZW 6.5 upgrade came out, not a big deal, but I really wanted that updated radio... time to download HSPL! Got the phone unlocked, and updated the radio. Then I started thinking... well now that I'm unlocked, and chef's have had some time to really put together some nice roms, let me try out the one getting all the props.... 20 mins later I was booting up the MightyMike regular "Windows Phone" ROM.

Now, I've been playing around with this ROM for a couple days, haven't really loaded anything onto it, just my contacts, and my regular settings like screen timeouts and stuff. But in just regular usage, web browsing, loading apps, browsing files... I'm sorry but this ROM seems to be SLOWER than the stock ROM, or just the same speed ins ome respects. I do like that it's a light ROM, devoid of junk, it seems stable enough, but it's not "ZOMG SO BLAZING FASTER" than the stock ROM.

After a couple days, I'm going back to the stock 6.1 ROM.... no disrespect to MM or any other chefs, you guys spend a lot of your free time doing this stuff for us, and I'm sure this is really just a case of 6.5 being slower than 6.1 just as it was with every TP1 6.5 ROM I tried....

But yeah... back to the stock 6.1 for me. I may try the offical 6.5 ROM, just for the hell of it, or try cooking an SSK 6.1 ROM, but otherwise, stock ROM frickin rocks, and I think you guys that say how crap it is might be smoking some good stuff....
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:31 AM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Is something wrong with me?? Custom ROMS = Not impressed....

In my opinion I agree with you..... If they were all that the cooks would be with microsoft..... Stock has been tested alot more and alot longer than cooked, just my opinion and I as well probably will get flamed.......

Im on stock 6.5
Old 01-10-2010, 01:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible!
Carrier: VZW

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff

try cooking one. for me custom pre cooked roms don't do it for me. i gotta cook what i like. sure it takes a while to get everything the way you like it, but you'll have more control over what "issues" may come up. give it a shot, if you already haven't that is

btw, i do agree that the stock 6.1 rom was tits. but i like the looks of 6.5 better, so i am stickin with that. and supposedly the new official 6.5 vzw release has new drivers, havne't tried it myself though yet
Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I don't necessarily think it is a slight on the cooks. They always do a good job.

Rather I think it's an indictment of the perception of Stock ROM. I would say that the majority of TP2 users still have the perception of Stock left over from the Titan/Mogul days where the difference between custom ROMS and stock was night and day. I admit I was in this camp too. When I got my TP2 the very FIRST thing I did was install a custom ROM. However, I had to get my TP2 replaced and so I had to wait a few days to get another HardSPL. That forced me to use stock for like a week. I was bummed. But after like 5 days, I was like... "hmmm stock isn't that bad after all."

With a few tweaks, TP2 stock is more than adequate. But one area where I think the custom ROMS is still much better in is in customization and eye-candy.

I think one other thing that might contribute to this is that the most popular custom ROMS tend to be the "latest and most recent cutting-edge" ROMS. Just look at the threads. That is fine but very often the "latest" ROMS tend not to be as stable as the older custom ROMs.

Last edited by x10guy; 01-10-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

bast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

yeah the MM rom looked nice, ran pretty smooth, and I do like how clean it was.

I will definitely trying cooking a rom in the SSK kitchen, I still don't see anything fantastic about 6.5, could care less about titanium, so I'll just go with a 6.1 and try to make a "stock-light" rom without the junk apps.

I don't think it's the chef's faults... I think they do a great job with the ingredients they are given but if M$ gives you SPAM (the canned meat), there's only so much you can cook with that....
Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro2

drizztzou is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to drizztzou Send a message via Skype™ to drizztzou

I hate stock Rom so I re-flash it to custom rom the first day I got it
HTC Raphael + Energy Rom "Leo" / Toshiba G910 / Palm Treo 750 / Benq-Siemens P51
Old 01-10-2010, 02:11 AM
VIP Member

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizztzou View Post
I hate stock Rom so I re-flash it to custom rom the first day I got it
How in the world do you know you hate it when you didn't even spend a day with it?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:03 AM
@Febby or @iFebby
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: T-Mobile

CaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to CaliBoyPhillip Send a message via Skype™ to CaliBoyPhillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
How in the world do you know you hate it when you didn't even spend a day with it?
I didn't even bother using stock ROM =s I might actually take the time to try it out soon but then again i love 6.5 so I'm waiting for sprint 6.5 =] note you didn't ask me but thought I'd say this....
Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL

moving to 6.5 was enough reason for me. I stayed on stock rom for 5 mins. Stock wasn't slow though. I just wanted 6.5. oh yah, undetectable tethering is also enough for me to flash! It comes in handy when you're waiting at an airport that charges for wifi.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoyPhillip View Post
I didn't even bother using stock ROM =s I might actually take the time to try it out soon but then again i love 6.5 so I'm waiting for sprint 6.5 =] note you didn't ask me but thought I'd say this....
Custom 6.5 is indeed very nice. But in your original post you said "I hate stock".
I'm just asking how you can say you "hate it" when you just admitted that you "didn't even bother using stock ROM"?

I think overall, custom ROMS give you more flexibility and a few more nice features (tethering as one poster mentions) but stock really isn't as bad as people think.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2