PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Is something wrong with me?? Custom ROMS = Not impressed....

this is going to be a good read lol!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 AM
@Febby or @iFebby
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: T-Mobile

CaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CaliBoyPhillip Send a message via Skype™ to CaliBoyPhillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
Custom 6.5 is indeed very nice. But in your original post you said "I hate stock".
I'm just asking how you can say you "hate it" when you just admitted that you "didn't even bother using stock ROM"?

I think overall, custom ROMS give you more flexibility and a few more nice features (tethering as one poster mentions) but stock really isn't as bad as people think.

Oooo no you have me mixed up LMAO! I wasn't that person lol, I was just replying to you with my own opinion bro =]
Old 01-10-2010, 03:20 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I like custom ROMs for a few reasons: WM 6.5.x, newest packages, and aesthetic. After using WM 6.5, WM 6.1 was a nightmare. When SPrint comes out with 6.5 I will certainly give it a go...
Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

mathiass is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to mathiass

if you are looking for speed and responsiveness man I suggest you try juggalo_x's rom, Mr. X ROM. My tp2 is so responsive even after loading a bunch of apps and crap into it. I will say at least once a day soft reset, but that's nothing to complain about at all

Here's the rom thread:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91898

edit: you have been hard-resetting after rom flashes right? that helps a bunch

Last edited by mathiass; 01-10-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:13 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoyPhillip View Post
Oooo no you have me mixed up LMAO! I wasn't that person lol, I was just replying to you with my own opinion bro =]

lol... my bad. It's late.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Tp2's stock rom is surprisingly good. I went back to it for a time as well. It does get annoying having to fix everything a custom ROM cannot do for everyone.

The one size fits all of these mega ROMs can alienate the end user. I dont think its too much to ask to have functioning MMS, or OEM stock signal strength meter out of the box for a custom ROM, but that seems to be almost non existent.

I also understand the need for these chefs to reach as many end users as possible - as some benefit quite handsomely from their efforts.

Last edited by supdawg; 01-10-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:26 AM
VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/Focus/soon EVO3D

Mr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMr.KLeen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

just wait till the late 2010 smartphones comin with the fastass processor and lots of ram ect... then wont hardly be any lag
Old 01-10-2010, 04:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

bast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

hmmmm I've tethered quite a bit with the stock rom and never gotten charged for it. I installed an ICS cab that I've had for years and made my own shortcut in the start menu...

As for soft resetting every day, THAT is CRAP!! On the stock ROM I usually go a week without soft resetting at all! And the only reason I do soft reset once a week is to rotate between my two batteries to try to use/charge them equally. Stock rom has AMAZED me with it's rock solid stability... the only time I EVER have a problem is with Palringo... I LOVE the app but once in a while it does lock up and cause me to need to soft reset.

I just dont see what is so good about 6.5 vs. 6.1, unless you love Titanium. I dont really see much other difference, I mean the kinetic scrolling is a little different, and the menus, but HTC already did a good job with all that in 6.1. So, what am I missing?
Old 01-10-2010, 04:49 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

nycxhobbes is just getting started

I can definitely agree with the OP in certain aspects. I've had ppc's since the 6700 but I always thought that flashing a custom rom just involved way too much work. I put up with stock ROMs through the mogul and my TP1. Honestly before I bought my TP2 I was seriously going to give up on Windows mobile and go to the hero or the moment. However the TP2 really made me fall in love with WM all over again. Especially the TF3D stock rom. it was fast, and it was rock solid stable. I wouldn't need any soft resets for weeks! It looked great thanks to all the great work from the people here and at xda. However, two to three months after I got my TP2 i decided that I wanted to try the 2.1 ROMS (i really wanted the weather animations) and at first I was not impressed at all with the custom roms. For all of the issues that the custom ROMS had it didn't seem worth it to give up the stability of the stock rom. I flashed 2-3 different roms and just went back to stock. however, one saturday when I had nothing to do I decided to give the custom roms another shot. so I flashed two more roms and that is when I discovered that not all roms are created equal. Certainly while all of the cooks here deserve credit for their work and the amount of time and effort they put into their roms, it is quite apparent (at least in my eyes) that some are better than others. There are some custom roms here that work just as well/if not better than the stock rom with the latest and greatest from WM 6.5 and manilla 2.5 and quite frankly I am impressed with some of the work that the cooks put out there. The customization possibilities also can keep you busy and happy for days on end as well. For me the custom roms are another way to keep my phone exciting and new and while some roms are not as good as others, there are many that offer the same functionality as the stock rom while offering more end user customization. As of right now I am on SsS 2.5 rom and I think it's awesome. Stable and fast with no major issues, however, next week it may be a different one (I have been flashing new roms every few days in the last three weeks) so to me the custom roms keep me interested in my phone; at least till the TP3 comes out =P
Old 01-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint CDMA Touch Pro 2

mikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmikedboyd is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to mikedboyd

Don't forget the 'fun' aspect of the ROM adventure. If all I wanted was speed and stability, I would either stay stock or try one of the more 'naked' ROM's. I don't have a driving need for WinMO 6.5.3 or Manila 2.5.xxx, but I have a buncha fun with ROM loading/testing, settings loading/testing, cab-file loading/testing, dialog-ing with others here, etc. My wife has a stock Sprint HTC Diamond that has never been hard reset and she's had it a year. Drives me nuts that she doesn't have some of the available eye candy and functionality, but I respect her needs being different than mine. Same for you, if ROM's aren't doing it for you, in whatever way, you should stay stock.

Be sure to thank me IF I help .............................

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2