PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
upgrading mogul radio w/o alltel rom?

is there any way to upgrade the radio in a sprint mogul to 1.40 without installing the entire alltel rom?

also is there a downside to running the alltel 1.40 radio on a sprint phone? I saw someone made a version of the alltel rom w/o the radio....
Old 10-06-2007, 01:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Dagger969 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Dagger969
Do a search for radio 1.41. I think there is a 1.41 radio release by phoenx06.

EDIT: I got bored and did it for you:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ght=radio+1.41
Old 10-06-2007, 02:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

CJ00TA is a n00b
Phoenix' upgrade is for Apache's, not Titans.

I tried.. just in case... I'm still a 1.32.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ00TA View Post
Phoenix' upgrade is for Apache's, not Titans.

I tried.. just in case... I'm still a 1.32.
Awww, bummer. I had an apache and it didn't even cross my mind that it might not work.

Well then, I am in the same boat as holo; any radio updates other than alltel? lol
Old 10-06-2007, 09:57 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
You guys DO realize that radio updates don't really do much, right?

They're mostly just bug fixes for the firmware so that the radio doesn't freeze and such... they do almost nothing for increasing signal quality and strength. If you want better signal quality, you need to pop open your phone and modify the antenna (thus voiding the warranty and possibility breaking the FCC's radiation codes).

Sorry but this radio update fetish that everyone seems to have is retarded. VERY retarded.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker

SINNN is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
You guys DO realize that radio updates don't really do much, right?

They're mostly just bug fixes for the firmware so that the radio doesn't freeze and such... they do almost nothing for increasing signal quality and strength. If you want better signal quality, you need to pop open your phone and modify the antenna (thus voiding the warranty and possibility breaking the FCC's radiation codes).

Sorry but this radio update fetish that everyone seems to have is retarded. VERY retarded.

hahaha , I was wondering what are the benefits to it. If theres no its useless then...
Old 10-06-2007, 10:44 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
People always say that "OMG it made such a difference!" but really, it won't, because you're still using the exact same antenna that came stock in the phone... its common sense, really.

I bought into the radio BS with the 1.41 radio update on my 6700. Then shortly after that update, my 6700 that was working perfectly went to crap and I went through two refurbs within 2 weeks that had radio issues as well.

I'm not saying the two are 100% linked but I find it an interesting coincidence either way. Now I'm getting a Mogul and I'm not TOUCHING the radio on it. I'll be damned if I'm going to be down a phone in a pinch again.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

specv is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
People always say that "OMG it made such a difference!" but really, it won't, because you're still using the exact same antenna that came stock in the phone... its common sense, really.

I bought into the radio BS with the 1.41 radio update on my 6700. Then shortly after that update, my 6700 that was working perfectly went to crap and I went through two refurbs within 2 weeks that had radio issues as well.

I'm not saying the two are 100% linked but I find it an interesting coincidence either way. Now I'm getting a Mogul and I'm not TOUCHING the radio on it. I'll be damned if I'm going to be down a phone in a pinch again.
thats completely false, yes the antenna is the same. the software/firmware of the radio can increase its sensitivity without increasing power and thus providing reception
Old 10-07-2007, 01:42 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*

I don't think its enough to warrant tampering with the radio. I'm fine with tampering with the ROM, but not the radio.

I upgraded to the 1.41 radio and compared between 1.27 and 1.41 with the debugging tools and the difference was well within what I'd consider to be normal fluctuation between the two.

Do whatever you guys want but I haven't seen enough proof to convince me that it does more good than harm.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
I don't think its enough to warrant tampering with the radio. I'm fine with tampering with the ROM, but not the radio.

I upgraded to the 1.41 radio and compared between 1.27 and 1.41 with the debugging tools and the difference was well within what I'd consider to be normal fluctuation between the two.

Do whatever you guys want but I haven't seen enough proof to convince me that it does more good than harm.
It may not be enough for *you* to tamper with it.

Why call it a fetish? That is retarded, very retarded.

When I upgraded on my 6700 it went from ~91db to ~84. I think that is significant enough to "tamper".

Last edited by Dagger969; 10-07-2007 at 02:08 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan