PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 08:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint (SERO)

qbunnie is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
internet help

Hey guys, I have recently encountered a very annoying problem and am looking for advice. First off, my information: I am using a Sprint Mogul, and I am on the SERO plan. I did disable the multiNAI registry setting, FYI. About a month ago, I was trying to tether my phone, unsuccessfully. One of the things I did was to actually delete the Phone as Modem connection. However, it just repopulated itself, and to make things even stranger, it became my standard auto-pick data connection. However, everything worked fine, so I left it alone.
Today, I tried to mess around with tethering again, trying to select Sprint PCS as my connection instead, etc, etc. Again, didn't work, but not really that big a deal for me. Now my problems start:
Regardless of what data connection I'm on, sprintpcs or phone as modem, the internet is incredible laggy. What I mean is that it will be stuck on 'locating' when browsing for more than 30 seconds to get to any webpage. it makes internet browsing on my phone unusable. But it still works, as does activesync with my ms exchange email. I tried to client initiate IOTA internet settings, but it fails with 1012 error. However, I still have internet. Just very very slow. Now, once it starts opening the page, its fast again. Speed tests show the same 300-1000 kbits/sec range i got before, and refreshing a page I have recently loaded up is fine. But if I got to a new page, it takes soooooo long. its so annoying. Anybody have any ideas?
I've also done a system settings backup with spb backup, no help.
Its so weird, the internet works, just barely... what is going on?
Thanks guys, in advance.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Krayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Krayziepop Send a message via MSN to Krayziepop Send a message via Yahoo to Krayziepop
Ok... try this first. Go into file explorer and browse to Windows/startup and delete the file CM_Guardian.exe. Then reboot. Now you can freely delete the PAM connection and adjust settings without the device 'setting them back up'.

Next, where do you live approx? The reason I ask, is today I was driving from the south side of Kentucky up to the northern part of Indiana, and Sprints DNS servers are borked.... badly borked...

To see if DNS is your problem go into the settings - connections - advanced tab - select networks - the top edit button - make sure SprintPCS is selected and push edit - next - next - advanced - Servers tab - then under Use specific server address you want to set up the boxes like this :

DNS - 4.2.2.1
Alt DNS - 4.2.2.2
WINS - 0.0.0.0
Alt WINS - 0.0.0.0

Then hit OK in the upper right corner then finish at the bottom. If you deleted the CM_Guardian file earlier, these settings won't get wiped out on you. Redial your connection and try again. Post your results here plz.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Im in the Columbus OH area, so I suppose that is not too far away. Could be using the same servers, yeah? I have an exam I need to study for tonight (why do my problems always occur when I'm busy?) but i will post by tomorrow afternoon. I've tried the DNS hack before, but like you said it didn't stick. Thanks for the help! Also... I have 2 CM_Guardian files... I assume I should delete them both? I will of course be backing them up first, just in case. Thanks.

Last edited by qbunnie; 10-04-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Krayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Krayziepop Send a message via MSN to Krayziepop Send a message via Yahoo to Krayziepop
You bet buddy... and the DNS issue I would imagine is probably system wide... but it might also be attributed differently between different HA (home agents) Yes, I traveled on I-65 from Nashville, TN all the way up to Indy, then north on Hwy 31 into South Bend and the net was foobarred all the way up. Changing the DNS server is the only thing thats fixed it for me.

Like I said, deleting the CM_Guardian will relieve your 'sticking setting' pains. In any case, by tomorrow its possible that your normal DNS servers will work once again too. I will be looking forward to your response tomorrow! Good luck with the studying!

* better you than me *
Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: TMO

timothydonohue is just getting started
at my own peril, i pitched the guardian, despite the warning "blah blah system file blah blah", so i hope you're right, lol

i reset my settings, and the only thing i'm noticing now is it seems a little slower in calling up websites, and now it is asking for a username and password before booting into anything.

any solution?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

user name and password?
like to connect to #777? or anything else?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

when setting it up, the username password crap was something i blew through in order to set up the server i.p. addresses he specifies. when i logged onto the net (both evdo and wifi) it asked for username password, which i then skipped, and it loaded fine.

to be honest, i'm watching streaming video, and it is flawless, so it couldn't have hampered anything.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker

It's fine... when the dialogue comes up, you simply put a checkmark in the "Save this password" box, and login. It shouldn't ask you for that again once its setup. There is no username or password under Sprint.

The server numbers I gave above are generic OpenDNS servers. You can change them if you like to find faster ones. The ones I know off the top of my head are 4.2.2.(1-6) Beyond that, there are thousands of open DNS servers for the taking... but the OpenDNS ones seem the fastest to me.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

many thanks to you for the help. hope i can turn it around sometime
Old 10-05-2007, 12:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

yeah, just deleted the guardian startup file, connected to SprintPCS (instead of PAM), deleted PAM account, changed DNS settings, and internet seems perfect!
If I soft reboot, the PAM account shows up again. Is that normal? And the SprintPCS DNS server is auto-assigned again, but I don't have to retype the openDNS servers once i select that option, they are already there. Is that normal?
Anyhow, its working great now. Thanks so much.

QBunnie

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan