PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 09:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

drew454U is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
lost all data trying to install new rom

ok i am 100% new to this, i tryed to download the new rom but before i did i backed up all my data and even pulled my SD card to be sure. i then downloaded the new rom to my phone. then hard resetted. when it came back up i checked and it still had the old rom. so i hookled it back up too active sync and it saved my new data, which was nothing since i just hard resetted, over all my old data. 100+ contacts lost. what did i do wrong??? i appreciate any help thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

papped is a n00b
Typically the new rom install is pretty self explanatory. It basically runs itself.

For future reference, you can set up Outlook on your PC or on an exchange server to sync your contacts.

This way, if your contacts get entirely erased, you just sync with either your PC or your exchange server and tell it to sync contacts as well, and all your contacts are restored. I have it set to overwrite any conflicts that exist on the phone also, i.e. exchange server/PC contacts take 1st priority and overwrite all contacts that exist on the phone if there are any conflicts between the 2.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker

papped is a n00b
From what you described (assuming you are correct on the fact that you are still running the old rom) the new rom install did not actually install, which means the install process should have thrown an error at some point.

You killed your data by doing a hard reset, which erases the phone back to the default rom.

You should not need to do a hard reset after installing the new rom.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 6950 -Diamond-

storino03 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to storino03
It says before updating, that you lose all data. You cannot really backup your entire contents in the traditional sense, but can use activesync to backup installed programs and contacts, but it's not 100% back to how you originally had it. It's best to start over when you update the ROM.

--James
Old 08-06-2007, 07:25 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by storino03
...can use activesync to backup installed programs...
Incorrect.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 6950 -Diamond-

storino03 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to storino03
yes you can. it keeps a history of your installed programs that way when you hard reset, you can reinstall the programs through activesync a lo easier.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul, Tilt, TouchPro

Deviation is a n00b
What version shows up under Device Information?

As was said before, you need to have Outlook configured in order to have your contacts backed up via ActiveSync. If you had files, you would need to specify in ActiveSync to back those up. The programs are a different story though. Those you're best off to reinstall anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papped
You killed your data by doing a hard reset, which erases the phone back to the default rom.

You should not need to do a hard reset after installing the new rom.
The HTC ROM update forces a hard reset. You don't really have choice.
HTC TouchPro
Samsung Rant

------
Digital Deviation
Old 08-06-2007, 10:25 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by storino03
yes you can. it keeps a history of your installed programs that way when you hard reset, you can reinstall the programs through activesync a lo easier.
AS knows about the programs it installed, but that's not the same as backup, which was your original post.

And if you install using a cab on your device, AS doesn't know about it, so can't re-install.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

drew454U is a n00b
[quote="papped"]Typically the new rom install is pretty self explanatory. It basically runs itself.

i didnt really think so. on the htc website it just basically says back up data, then download. is there a certain place you need to download the new rom???

My device still shows the 208 rom. when i downloaded it originally it was in my documents on my device. tryed to click it, gave me some kind of message..i forget exactly. then i hard resetted.

i guess its my fault i lost the contacts probally didnt have active sync configured right. but wasnt sure how to set it up to automatically give the phone my backupped data. cause when i synced my phone after the reset i saved over all my back up data.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker

papped is a n00b
The new rom is just an exe file, when you run it it verifies the data on your Phone, then updates the rom, then does a hard reset (meaning you do not have to do a hard reset yourself).

I didn't have any problems updating the rom, as it is a straightforward install.

Was your phone properly connected to the PC at the time you ran the rom update? Check activesync or the drive letter and see if your phone is actually connected first.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan