PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprit

Yodster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Constantly active data connection and how to stop it

I am trying to figure out how to fix this issue (and for that matter whether I have an issue or not). I just recently got my Mogul and I've been working with it extensively. One thing that I've noticed is that my data connection seems to constantly be active. The reason I believe this is that the signal strength icon on the top always has the two white arrows displayed and they are never grayed out, always solid white.

I am guessing this is a large part of why my battery seems to run down faster than I'd expect (down to 40% or less in 12 hours of moderate use). I do have an exchange server setup, but I don't believe that is what is causing the issue. I've had it set to receive emails as the come in as well as every half hour and there was no noticeable difference between the two settings. The only other app I have that is always pulling in data would be the weather section of the Kaiser Home screen plugin, but I've tried disabling the plugin and the same holds true.

I have made sure that I don't have any applications running in the background by going to the task manager and stopping all processes.

So the questions again are a) Do I even have an issue? and b) if so how do i resolve it?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:05 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Carrier: Sprint

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
i bet you installed the HTC Touch dialpad?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Lurker

fuddy is a n00b
if your just trying to deactivate your connection all you have to do is go into the comm manager and click the 3rd icon down on the left (standard theme it is a pda with the two arrows next to it).
Old 08-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Yodster is a n00b
dcd: I did install HTC Touch dialpad. Is that what is causing the issue (time to start researching)

fuddy: I want the connection to work, but i am concerned that it looks like it is constantly transferring data for no reason, which would negatively impact my battery life.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
I set up a key-press-sequence (double-click upper left "email" key in my case) using AE Button Plus to shut down the data connection. It's a great program. 3 buttons that used to do 3 things total now do 12 things total (4 ea., 1 press, 2 presses, 3 presses, and long press)
Old 08-05-2007, 11:22 PM
dcd
VIP Member

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
the HTC touch dialpad is built for GSM and will not function properly on a CDMA device. This is what has broken your data arrows. Your data connection may be idle, but the arrows are not reflecting it.

Uninstall the HTC touch dialpad (immediately after a soft reset) and that should restore your arrows. I have heard of one person whos arrows did not come back after uninstall, but they were able to fix by soft reset, reinstall, soft reset, deinstall, soft reset. *you cannot completely remove the touch dialpad if the dialpad files are in use, ie if you have opened the phone app since you booted.

There is a thread at pdaphonehome where a very generous person is working on creating a large-button dialer based on the mogul's cdma dialpad. There is a 'beta' based on the touch dialpad there atm, but it killed my data arrows.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Yodster is a n00b
Thanks for all of the information dcd. It doesn't sound like that is the reason my battery isn't giving me the performance I expect, but at least I now understand what was causing the symptoms.

Uninstalling and a soft reboot did the trick for getting them back to their normal functionality.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Destructor is a n00b
Yeah, the HTC Touch Dialpad is VERY bad for our phones (before it gets fixed to a more usable version anyway) - visual errors with the data transfer icon, the pseudo-GPS that kicks in when you call 911 does NOT work, the ## numbers won't work, etc.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:38 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch

icekold_56 is a n00b
Did you setup activesync to go to an exchange server? If so uncheck Tasks.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 AM
dcd
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekold_56
Did you setup activesync to go to an exchange server? If so uncheck Tasks.
why? what are you getting at here? because ive noticed tasks sync VERY slowly...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan