PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 07:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZ-6800 (previously VZ-6700)
Carrier: Verizon

DougWare is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DougWare Send a message via Yahoo to DougWare
Very disappointed in the local store tech, need advice

I have a titan which started to act really weird on Tuesday. The touch screen started to flake out really badly and wouldn't respond to touches on the close button. This is how my troubles began, and they went downhill from there.

The local tech spent an hour playing with the phone, and then came back saying it wasn't fixable. He said I could purchase a new phone at a discounted rate or file it on my insurance and pay the deductible. I asked about an in store swap since it should be covered under the extended warranty that my insurance offers. He said that Verizon doesn't have any more 6800s and that the insurance or purchase of a new phone were my only options. I again asked about a like-kind swap in store. He disappeared into the back and came back with another titan in a box. He swapped it out and send me on my way.

Since Tuesday, I've had a problem where the phone would lock up everytime it went into sleep mode. I tried the MR1 updated, the MR2 update and several hard resets. I took it back to the store a couple of hours ago, the tech said I had too many applications running, which he could "tell" by looking at my today screen. I had just hard reset the phone and hadn't done any customization on it, so he was looking at the default today scrren. He said that all WM phones require a hard reset each day, not a soft reset, to clear out the junk on the phone. He never performed any ddiagnostics on it, and only spent about 2 minutes looking at the phone. He handed it back and told me to have a nice day, after resetting it. On the way out, I hit the power button and again the phone wouldn't come on. I turned around and handed it back to him, telling him it happened again. Again, he told me to purchase a new phone or pay the deductable on the insurance to get a new phone.

Now they've swapped it out again and I've just gotten home. I can't get this phone to be recognized on any of my systems, my desktop, laptop or work laptop.

I'm so sick of dealing with this one tech and being lied to. What are my options. He mentioned if I had any more problems they would switch it out with an i730 which they would have to order. I don't want an i730, they have crappy cameras.

I need advice....I know there are two other stores in the area and at least one of them has a tech department. What should I do?

Thanks,
Doug

My Cell Phone History:
Old Crappy TracPhone -> Sprint LG 1200 ->
Sprint LG 4NE1 -> Sprint LG 5350-> Sprint Sanyo 8100 -> Sprint Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 600 -> Nextel i7100 Crackberry -> Nextel i880 -> Verizon LG enV -> Verizon 6700 -> Verizon 6800 -> Verizon Touch Pro

Visit my website: http://www.dougware.net
Old 02-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: Very disappointed in the local store tech, need advice

the first thing i would do is take the manual back to that idiot and show him the part that says a hard reset restores the phone back to factory settings meaning you would lose everything and have to reload everything everyday!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:33 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

I think its funny he says they have no more but then goes into the back and gets another one!! Me personally, I wouldnt do the MR1 and MR2 updates. Its just personal for me because I remember all the problems MR1 gave users when it first came out and everyone jumped on it without knowing fully what all it would do.

Secondly, have you tried adding a custom ROM to it and not the buggy OEM ROM? Are all your apps installed in main memort and not on the card?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

DougWare is a n00b

Yeah, I haven't used stock roms since I before I ever had a 6800. I used to have a 6700 during the early part of last year.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:32 PM
VIP Member

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

So did you by chance burn the same ROM on both phones? Any what about having all the apps installed in main memory or did you have some on a card? Because having an app or plugin on the card that the device would use could lock it up. Can you use something like MemMaid to see what apps are running in the background and how much CPU they are using to tell if it is app related?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

DougWare is a n00b

No, I there was nothing installed....I had reverted back to the original stock rom and hard reset the phone.

The lock ups were worse after the hard reset. There was something really wrong with that phone.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

Switch to sprint (flame me if you will, but it fixes it)

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
Switch to sprint (flame me if you will, but it fixes it)

FLAME!!!!!!!!! BURN!!!!!!!! INCINERATE!!!!!!!!

Damn Sprint!!!!!!

Just kidding, I used to have them. IDK about the fixing it part but....... ok.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900

jacksplat is just getting started

I had a stock MR1 rom and the same thing happened to me (with the locking). The phone would just start locking up...the middle of the day, whenever.

I finally had enough and did a custom ROM and life is good now...plus GPS! weeee..
Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I would go to a store with a "real" tech department.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan