PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My 6800 Sontaneously Turns Off

Really interesting problem - and I think I may know the cause.

My 6800 (sprint) has been turning itself off several times a day. It only does it while I'm at work - In a hospital. I have a side pocket on the pantsleg of my scrubs where I keep my 6800. WHenever it is in the pocket it shuts off randomly. I have to remove the battery and replace it as the power button does not turn it back on and the reset button does nothing. Once it is back on, it will indicate full to almost full battery, so I have ruled that out.
I'm not close to the MRI or xray, so I have ruled that out too.
However, If I keep it in the drawer of my mobile computer cart, it stays on all day.
Ruled out movement from swinging back and forth in my pocket. I shook it vigrously to try to make it turn off.
It does not turn off when in my regular pants pockets or my motorcycle jacket pocket.

My cause/idea - static electricity. It did not do it all summer but now that it is cold out, we are using the heat more in the hospital and the humidity is very low. If I take my scrub pants or top off - while I'm hiding in a storage closet with someone (LOL - JK) Its full of static.

Sound reasonable or could it be something else? Phone has been well cared for and is less than a year old. No water exposure or drops and I use a protective skin.

David
Old 10-29-2008, 10:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

pringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to pringlet
Re: My 6800 Sontaneously Turns Off

I ran into this issue a couple of times this past week.

Yesterday for example, I finished up a short phone call at about 11am and slipped the phone into my pocket. The next time I went to use it at about 12:30, it was completely off. Holding the POWER button to turn it on did nothing and plugging it into the charger only made the Red LED come on. I couldn't boot it until after I removed and replaced the battery. The battery reported a 90% charge after it rebooted.

I am running the latest stock titan ROM and the phone is usually stable for days. I recently put the seidio rubberized case back on it.

pt
Old 10-29-2008, 01:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

So is it that your batteries arent making a good contact? Thats my first thought
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
So is it that your batteries arent making a good contact? Thats my first thought
That was my first thought and I cleaned the contacts on both the phone and battery. Still had the problem.

Been off work today and the phone has stayed on all day. Used my belt holster instead of pocketing it.

I too am using the rubberized case..not the seido one though.

My experience was the same as pringlets. Power button did nothing and when I removed and replaced the battery it would boot when I turned it on. Battery indicator showed 90% (probably just a coincidence though).

So the scoop is: In pocket turns off several times a day.
Out of pocket, works fine.
Gotta be from static electricity.

David
Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: i910
Carrier: page plus

mooneyb is a n00b

My 6800 does the exact same thing. I have to take the battery out before it will respond at all. I haven't been able to figure out a specific cause either.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

arcanecho is a n00b

Mine is doing the same thing. Started earlier this week and has yet to stop. Sometimes I have to reset it up to 3 or 4 times a day because it randomly shuts off. I have yet to find any cause. I thought it was M2D so I hard reset but to no avail. Uninstalled almost all custom apps and haven't figured cause.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 AM
JWT
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul (HTC)

JWT is a n00b

Yep mine will do the same thing, i think the reason is due to slight impact to the device while flopping around in the cargo pocket. Mine has even turned off when I slide the key board and let it slap back in on it's own. If you drop it on a table top from about an inch away (on end) it will shut off. I have only had to pull the battery once, most times the power button works fine.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:55 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

supdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on repsupdawg is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Wow.. This is really weird. Just for the past week or so, I have been having the same issues as described.

I don't use a case at all. Have to remove the batt to boot.

Really annoying.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

rfrankli is a n00b
Exclamation Re: My 6800 Sontaneously Turns Off

Mine has been doing the same thing for the last week or so also (although only happened twice). Everyone who has had this issue, please list the programs you have installed/updated/uninstalled in the past month or so so we can try to figure out a common cause of this.

Installed:
- Opera Mobile 9.5 beta 2 (from Opera Mobile official site)
- Opera Mobile 9.5 Build 2392 (from xda-developers)
- Dvha79 Adobe FlashLite 3.1 Plugin (from xda-developers)
- anryl's Adobe Flashlite 3.1 Plugin (from xda-developers)
- Sprint Windows Mobile Picture Mail (issues happened before this was installed)

Updated:
- Gmail for mobile (beta) 2.0.6.1269
- Google Maps 2.2.0.20
- Skyfire 0.8.0.7081

Uninstalled:
- Opera Mobile 9.5 beta 2
- Dvha79 Adobe FlashLite 3.1 Plugin
- anryl's Adobe Flashlite 3.1 Plugin
Old 10-31-2008, 09:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc6800
Carrier: Alltel

brettokok is just getting started

same problem... always assumed it was from hitting something while in my pocket. And its pretty hard to get my battery cover off. When you pull the release back it just sits there so you have to use the stylus to get under the cover. Sucks when you dont notice for a few hours and then you turn it on to 3 vmails and 5 sms.

laaaaame.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan