PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: sprint

ah33919 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there a way to manipulate GPS data?

Is there a way to manipulate GPS data on a 6800? I would like to be able to either manually input or store (freeze) coordinates and somehow disable the phones ability to update its GPS location rather than just turning the GPS function off. I know that when using Sprints tracking software they also have the ability to triangulate your location using cell towers but if the phones GPS is actually transmitting stored (bogus) or preset data wouldn't that eliminate the "need" for triangulation because of the lack of GPS data? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:08 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Re: Is there a way to manipulate GPS data?

trying to hide are we??
anyway, if your using an aGPS app (sprint nav, family locator, e911) they can still use the triangulation as long as your phone has signal. even if you could store/transmit bogus lon/lat, the server would only accept it if it's still in the nearby area (less than a mile, i would guess) cell towers don't move so it will always take that data as a starting point.

I don't get it? wife/gf/parent's?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800 & Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

shadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah33919 View Post
Is there a way to manipulate GPS data on a 6800? I would like to be able to either manually input or store (freeze) coordinates and somehow disable the phones ability to update its GPS location rather than just turning the GPS function off. I know that when using Sprints tracking software they also have the ability to triangulate your location using cell towers but if the phones GPS is actually transmitting stored (bogus) or preset data wouldn't that eliminate the "need" for triangulation because of the lack of GPS data? Thanks in advance.
just tell us what u are trying to do, cause this doesnt make sense to me.

gps data is not transmitted. it received. is this a company phone that is tracked and u want to falsify your location when the boss checks up on ya?

if this is a business phone, i doubt the gps is even enabled. it requires a mod to enable it. so they are probably using the cell towers to find you anyways. the only thing that might work is to disable the tacking all together. that would be done by using qpst to turn all the gpsone settings off. or just take the battery out.

gps spoof, defiantly a new one for me.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

ah33919 is a n00b

Yes, this is now a company phone. It used to be my personal phone but my company offered to "port" my number to them so I could retain the number. Yes, they pay the bill. I don't have a problem with them tracking us during business hours because I'm not doing anything wrong. My problem is after hours my boss tracks me and the other techs and unexpectedly "shows up". He's kind of proud of the tracking ability and there is no "bad blood" between us. I know that I/we can just turn off our phones but then we aren't accessable to our families (yes, getting another phone is an option). I would love to put some bullsh*t coordinates in my phone and have some fun with it. This is more of a "fun project" rather than a problem. I'm more concerned/interested about the technology fix/spoof rather than turning my phone off. Basically, if I can put in the coordinates of some beach in Hawaii or his home address next time he pings my phone and I'm sitting right next to him he'll be less inclined to track us. Do you have a little more info on how to use qpst to turn all of the gpsone settings off on the 6800. I' ve already disabled my GPS so yes, he is using cell towers. Thanks again.

Last edited by ah33919; 09-25-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:16 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I think that kind of activity would be illegal?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
ya think. even the police/911 needs a warrant to track a phone in an emergence. i would get another phone for off duty.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint

bkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Not really, the OP said that his boss had his number ported over and is paying the bill so he could track the phones via Sprint Family Locator.
Gadget/Phone History: Motorola DynaTAC 8000x; Casio BOSS; Palm Vx; Palm m130; Palm Tungsten T; Sanyo 7300; Sanyo Katana; PPC-6700; Titan; Mogul; Touch Pro, Palm Pre; HTC EVO, Motorola Photon; Samsung Galaxy Note 2 .
Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800 & Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

shadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on repshadow-tech is halfway to VIP status based on rep

just because it can be done doesnt mean it should. who pays the bills means nothing. can you say hewlett packard? this totally sounds illegal to be tracked off the clock. i would submit his cell number to telemarketers. see if he likes being bothered
Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

christak is becoming a great contributor

Almost sounds like a form of harassment... I know a quick call to HR at my company would bring this to an immediate stop and likely get the boss (in this case) a warning in his/her permanent file or fired...

I realize that is not a good solution, but I don't think you'd have this problem anymore...
Old 09-26-2008, 01:39 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Agreed. There are better ways of dealing with this. If your company is too small to have a HR department then file a civil suit.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan