PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 12:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Q, PPC-6700, PPC-6800, PPC-6900
Carrier: Alltel, and Cricket

midiology is keeping up the good workmidiology is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Dropping data connection after new rom..

Is anybody else dealing with the issue of losing data connection frequently with the new radio and rom upgrade? ive tried three or four different rom upgrades from around the net,, and i have no issues connecting and using the internet on the phone,, but halfway through loading a web page from time to time, it will drop the connections, and give a bubble saying unable to connect blah blah blah.....
-------------------------------------------

One thing I do know is that in my area sprint and alltel are testing their ev rev-a, which means they are cycling it off and on periodically, and I think that with this going on my new radio rom cant take it properly and it just drops the connection...
so if my theory is correct then at the end of the first quarter when they throw the switch on full throttle, then this problem should end....

any thoughts on this?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The Pro 2.0
Carrier: Sprint

Ovendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuff
I don't know if there is a specific thread that deals with this, but there is quite a bit of discussion in the 3.16 bug list and the original 3.16 thread.

I personally had so much connectivity issues that I flashed back to the 2.17 ROM. PIE would just hang on "Locating" or "Opening" for as long as I would let it. It was awful. I flashed it multiple times...I tried DCDs Clean 3.16 and still had similiar issues. Others reported improvement with DCDs version.

I use EVDO heavily, and the least bit of instablility caused me to abandon ship on that ROM.

I can't really speak to it being an area problem, because RevA has been rolled out for awhile here (true, no handsets currently use it) Indy is past the "testing phase"
Old 02-03-2008, 01:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Talking

yeah,, i use ev a ton also,, had almost a gig and a half throughput on my last bill,,,

I wish I could find a way to strip just the o/s nbh file from the stock alltel rom from htc and load it on top of the new radio to see if it still drops the connection... I know the gps wouldnt work with that because of the lack of drivers,, and i dont know if after upgrading the radio firmware if the operating system needs newer drivers or handlers to run the radio properly or if the stock 2.17 rom can run the new radio rom...

but for speculation reasons... if you loaded the new radio,,, and put the stock wm6 2,17 rom on it and it tested fine at ev rev a speeds, but still dropped connection then at least we know its not the new os roms,,, and then it would either be a glitch in the radio rom,,, or just the problem with them being half way between rev a and rev 0 in my area...

darn this is a pain..

but i feel ya,,, if i cant figure it out,, im a roll back,, and wait on the official release

........EDIT ,, just wanted to edit and state that the stock rom would not work with the new radio because of the lack of drivers etc,, just wanted to clarify for future readers........

Last edited by midiology; 02-25-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: cause i were stoooopid... he he
Old 02-03-2008, 02:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I too have noticed the data connection drop-outs. For me, this is a big problem, as my Mogul is acting as my primary Internet connection until I can get the DSL installed in my apt - A few weeks away at least. Sadly, my new DSL will actually be SLOWER than my Mogul, as the DSL is only rated for 768/384! Buy hey, for $10/mo, I'm not complaining!

I would love to see the OS with the most available program RAM (WM5?) be loaded onto the Mogul, but with all the newer stuff supported, such as GPS & Internet Sharing.

Heck, it would also be nice if the OS could also include a GPS app, WMWiFiRouter, a really good web browser, and all the other goodies we all like, except in a streamlined ROM that made the Mogul scream.

If only I had access to, and the knowledge to use, a kitchen for my Mogul!
Old 02-03-2008, 03:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

yeah i agree,,, it would be nice to have a based out rom,, then impliment the newer drivers,into it and make a nice kitchen with it
Old 02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Alltel

Foreverunstopable is a n00b
Re: Dropping data connection after new rom..

Ditto. I had the same issues and went back stock with Alltel. If there was a ROM that ran Data Share and Internet stable with enabled GPS for Alltel... that would be something I would put up some $ for. Any takers?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Firon is just getting started

I think it's a radio bug. Data drops consistently after about an hour.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

sHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsHockz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovendoor View Post
I use EVDO heavily...

Just outta curiosity...how does one know they are using evdo or not?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sHockz View Post
Just outta curiosity...how does one know they are using evdo or not?
If when your logged onto the data connection, you have an icon that shows Ev,, you are evdo,, if it says 1x you are not,,,
Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

well update,,
I went back to the stock alltel rom,, and all was well,, back to perfect internet...
Just two days ago I found DCD.s newest rom,, and tried it, and the radio again,,
and it started doing it again,,,

Just a piece of information that i thought would be helpful,, i found this info by accident,, and now am going to have to travel the net for days to try and find where i saw it,, but it was in a wiki somewhere i think,, someone was complaining about poor evdo speeds through sprint,,, and in one of the replies someone stated that they had the same problem,, and also had a problem with dropping their connection,, then went on to state that they were using the new gps radio and rom,,, someone else chimed in and made a quick statement that they had this problem and had contacted sprint,, who told them that since sprint hasnt released the new rom yet, and their network is not fully implimented for rev-a yet,, that these new radio roms were causing warning flags in the sprint and alltel system because of the way it is interacting with the system,, when these flags are raised to such an extent the system boots the unit off of the data conncetion... this would affect alltel as well as sprint because of the evdo roaming agreement they have filed,,,

Just thinking that once the official release is out,, and the network is fully operational this may clear itself up,,

just a thought...

Editing content---------------------------------------

Just to clarify a little more about my problem,, to seperate it from others
I have read others posts on sites,, they state that they are having to reconnect their data like every hour or so,,, this is in no case my problem...
I can connect to the data network and leave my phone laying around all night and all day, and when i pick it up it is still logged on, and i can browse to pages...
but when i start to do something data intensive it drops me,, if im just browsing small sites it seems i can stay connected for quite some time,, but if i go to a fast server like microsoft or something that eats a lot of bandwidth, i get kicked, the bubble pops up saying error could not establish connection,, i have to click dismiss and start all over again,,,

Last edited by midiology; 02-25-2008 at 11:02 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan