PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 02:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is The Imagio Worth The Slow Browser Experience?

I've had the Imagio now for two weeks. I love the form factor. I love most everything about this phone. I have the GSM side running a TMO sim and am able to use it here at home in the USA. It has tons of things that fit my needs.

However, there is one thing that is just driving me up the wall. The browser experience on the Imagio is nothing short of a disaster. No matter whether on my office wifi or on VZW EVDO both the IE browser and Opera are painfully slow. I had the tp2 before returning it for the Imagio and it worked just fine but I hated the large form and really have no need for a keyboard. I thought I had it made with the Imagio but at this point I am ready to pack it in.

I did download Opera mini 4.2 but I don't much care for that. I hear Opera 5 is better but I haven't tried that one yet.

Has anyone found a solution to the browser issue on this phone? I would really like to keep it but every day it gets tougher to tolerate the slow browsers.

I know there have been other threads that mention this issue but I decided to start a thread just for this to see if anyone has come up with a solution. Its really my last attempt to stay with the Imagio because that is what I would like to do, but I can't do it with the way it is right now.

R
Old 10-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

fwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stuff
Re: Is The Imagio Worth The Slow Browser Experience?

Try Opera 9.7 beta located here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=486502

Specifically build 35461 which is the latest. It has improved speed over the 9.5 builds for me. Not lightning fast, but noticeably better. And it should improve further as newer builds come out.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:03 PM
N00b
Carrier: VZ

chrysalis is a n00b

Do I need to uninstall the opera in Imagio first? How about the performance comparison between Opera 9.7 and Opera Mini?
Old 10-20-2009, 03:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I just downloaded and installed opera mini 5 and it runs fast and is very usable. Problem is, after it installs it asks if I want to run it and I answer yes. When it runs its pretty nice but once I close it I can't find it again. When I run Opera mini it goes to 4.2. Should I have removed 4.2 first? If so, how because I looked for it under "Remove Programs" and its not there. So, here I am with a version that I find completely usable but don't seem able to find it on the phone after the first run after install.

A little help would surely be appreciated as it means the difference between keeping the Imagio or going elsewhere and I would like to keep it.

R
Old 10-20-2009, 03:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

Humpa is keeping up the good workHumpa is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to Humpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwaits View Post
Try Opera 9.7 beta located here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=486502

Specifically build 35461 which is the latest. It has improved speed over the 9.5 builds for me. Not lightning fast, but noticeably better. And it should improve further as newer builds come out.
Was I supposed to remove the original Opera first? Because I didn't, and Opera 9.7 seemed ok, but it took WAY too long to load initially (to launch the app). So I uninstalled it, which also removed Opera as my default browser. The origianl Opera stayed as the default even after installing 9.7. But once I uninstalled 9.7, then PIE was made the default (the original Opera still works though).

Last edited by Humpa; 10-20-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Humpa, looks like you and I are making a big mess of it today! You ought to try Opera mini 5 as it seems to work great on my phone when I install and first open it. I've looked at the jbed instructions and I'm getting more confused by the minute but if we can figure this out it looks like we might end up with a good, fast and usable browser.

R
Old 10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
N00b

chrysalis is a n00b

Have you tried Start->All Applications to find the newly installed Opera Mini?
Old 10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

That's the first thing that I did and it has Opera Mini in there but when I select it it brings up Opera Mini4.2. I have no clue what happened to or where mini 5 is/went. I a lot baffled right now by the whole thing and my Imagio is riding on getting mini 5 in there and running.

I know its there somewhere because immediately after it installs it asks to run it and it runs and works great. But, after I close it and go looking for it the only thing I can find and bring up is mini 4.2.

R
Old 10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
N00b

chrysalis is a n00b

But by default Imagio has Opera 9.5 in it, where do you get Opera Mini 4.2? If you install it by yourself, can't you uninstall it from Program Removal?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

fwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stuff

You can'tt really uninstall the built-in Opera 9.5 build because it's cooked into the ROM. You can install over it and have another take over as it did with 9.7. When you remove 9.7 the 9.5 that was built-in is still there and will work, but you may need to go back to the preferences and set it as the default again. I haven't tried that since I didn't remove 9.7. Regarding Opera Mini 4 vs 5, yes I would uninstall 4 before loading 5 if you do that.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio