PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 PM
smartbusiness2003's Avatar
N00b
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 33
Reputation: 15
smartbusiness2003 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Waiting for Superphone

I have officially given up on trying to make my Imagio perform better by making it faster or more stable. Between overclocking the CPU (btw 604mhz to 791mhz) and disabling all UI's (I'm just running the plain today screen with Easy Today Launcher), I am still not able to do what I consider daily basic functions without locking up the phone at some point. I need to use Google Maps (or Bing), play music, sync my contacts-calendar-email with google exchange on an "as received" basis (only because I cancelled my text plan with Verizon and just use Google Voice's free texting service which comes through on my email), and constantly run Fring (because I use Google Voice, Sipgate, and PBXes to make free VOIP calls from the phone. I also need Fring running for instant messaging). Trying to get my Imagio to do all of this everyday has been a very discouraging task. I have decided that instead of driving myself crazy and continuously hoping that I will come to this forum and see that my prayers have been answered and some genius has built an Android kernel for the Imagio, I will stick it out and patiently wait for Verizon to release the first:
4G (LTE Network) capable
2ghz CPU
Nvidia GPU
1 Gb or more of Ram
10mp & 1080p camera-camcorder
Android 3.0 OS
720p or higher resolution screen.

If the rumors are correct, I will not have to wait long. Maybe November or December. Latest will probably be January 2011. This is just my 2 cents......

but seriously, how much would you LOVE to have this super phone?!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 AM
gcianc's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 269
Reputation: 85
gcianc is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Waiting for Superphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartbusiness2003 View Post
I have officially given up on trying to make my Imagio perform better by making it faster or more stable. Between overclocking the CPU (btw 604mhz to 791mhz) and disabling all UI's (I'm just running the plain today screen with Easy Today Launcher), I am still not able to do what I consider daily basic functions without locking up the phone at some point. I need to use Google Maps (or Bing), play music, sync my contacts-calendar-email with google exchange on an "as received" basis (only because I cancelled my text plan with Verizon and just use Google Voice's free texting service which comes through on my email), and constantly run Fring (because I use Google Voice, Sipgate, and PBXes to make free VOIP calls from the phone. I also need Fring running for instant messaging). Trying to get my Imagio to do all of this everyday has been a very discouraging task. I have decided that instead of driving myself crazy and continuously hoping that I will come to this forum and see that my prayers have been answered and some genius has built an Android kernel for the Imagio, I will stick it out and patiently wait for Verizon to release the first:
4G (LTE Network) capable
2ghz CPU
Nvidia GPU
1 Gb or more of Ram
10mp & 1080p camera-camcorder
Android 3.0 OS
720p or higher resolution screen.

If the rumors are correct, I will not have to wait long. Maybe November or December. Latest will probably be January 2011. This is just my 2 cents......

but seriously, how much would you LOVE to have this super phone?!
$999 pricetag off contract, $399 on contract... NO MARKET FOR THAT anytime soon.

2Ghz CPU i don't expect that mass-market in january '11. See Droid Incredible (which doesn't even run at full 1Ghz it clocks down to ~600MHz.. see system) and 4 hour battery life for a reality check. With what you're doing (to save a few bucks on a SMS plan) the battery life would be even less.

For what you're doing, you'd be better off changing to a more affordable network where you don't need to suck 50% battery/cpu to get the actual service you want.

Users such as yourself will ultimately kill Android in mass-market terms simply due to bandwidth suck. Once you're hooked on all that bandwidth and Verizon meters you it's game over.
__________________
#1 smartphone annoyance: wasting 40% of home screen on a clock.
FINALLY! - with Windows Phone 7 Series... we are taking accountability for the entire experience. That means you will not see layers, like HTC Sense or TouchFLO built on top of the UI by OEMs or MOs (mobile operators). - Aaron Woodman, Microsoft Director of Consumer Experiences
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2010, 09:42 AM
caveritt's Avatar
N00b
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 38
Reputation: 65
caveritt is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Waiting for Superphone

I am jumping ship to the X. Gonna take it like two weeks to get here but I have finally had it with these WinMo devices. I have been through 5 different WinMo devices and I am so sick of never having enough memory overhead to do anything.

- My Treo 700wx would lock up every time I opened the camera and/or browser
- My HTC Touch, although did have a good bit of overhead in the memory department, was so flimsy the case cracked in several different locations within weeks of getting it and was so slow it was not very practical.
- My HTC Touch Pro, was probably my favorite but still had very bad memory issues and constantly ran around 90% mem usage. Also, had to send this one back multiple times due to oil or something under the screen.
- My Samsung Omnia (actually my wifes), still has memory issues though not as bad since it was not running the HTC manilla, but the screen was impossible to see in the day light and did not respond well to finger inputs, which was stupid since the thing did not have an onboard stylus.
- My HTC Touch Pro 2, hated the size after I saw the imagio, so I switched. Still a mem hog but better then the Touch Pro.
- My HTC Imagio, so far has been my favorite phone and after several tweaks I have gotten it where I have about 35% memory available. Phone is still slow compared to the Droid. Also, limited support in the ROM devs, and I think ERGZ is the only one building right now.

- Moto Droid X - CAN'T WAIT. SOOOO LONG WINMO. ITS BEEN REAL BUT IT AIN'T BEEN REAL FUN!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 AM
makryger's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 177
Reputation: 95
makryger is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Waiting for Superphone

Well, even with LTE phones supposedly being released by the end of this year, LTE won't be up and running until much later, unless you live in a few select cities in the south. I'd like my next phone to be LTE, but I may have to wait until 2012 :/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM
jbh00jh's Avatar
Almost a VIP
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon
Location: SC
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 968
Reputation: 475
jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Waiting for Superphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcianc View Post
$999 pricetag off contract, $399 on contract... NO MARKET FOR THAT anytime soon.

2Ghz CPU i don't expect that mass-market in january '11. See Droid Incredible (which doesn't even run at full 1Ghz it clocks down to ~600MHz.. see system) and 4 hour battery life for a reality check. With what you're doing (to save a few bucks on a SMS plan) the battery life would be even less.

For what you're doing, you'd be better off changing to a more affordable network where you don't need to suck 50% battery/cpu to get the actual service you want.

Users such as yourself will ultimately kill Android in mass-market terms simply due to bandwidth suck. Once you're hooked on all that bandwidth and Verizon meters you it's game over.
You don't have a clue. My Incredible on it's worst day had at least 8 hrs battery life and with a few tweaks it usually gets 14 to 16 hrs with a 1500 mAh batt. It is also extremely fast and will be even faster with froyo 2.2.
In other words it is not slow , laggy , or outdated like your Imagio and my Imagio.
__________________
HTC Incredible
HTC Thunderbolt
1.70.605.0
Radio
1.39.00.0627r
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 PM
heydr's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 165
Reputation: 105
heydr is keeping up the good workheydr is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Waiting for Superphone

*sigh* the android fanboys are getting a little old now
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2010, 07:45 PM
y0himba's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio™
Carrier: Verizon
Location: In a house.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 316
Reputation: 230
y0himba is keeping up the good worky0himba is keeping up the good worky0himba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to y0himba Send a message via AIM to y0himba Send a message via MSN to y0himba Send a message via Yahoo to y0himba Send a message via Skype™ to y0himba
Re: Waiting for Superphone

Can you tether the Droid wired/wireless? Music? Video? Bluetooth voice dial and command?
__________________
My Web Site: http://www.y0himba.net
Last 5 Songs Played:
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-06-2010, 09:16 PM
gcianc's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 269
Reputation: 85
gcianc is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Waiting for Superphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh00jh View Post
You don't have a clue. My Incredible on it's worst day had at least 8 hrs battery life and with a few tweaks it usually gets 14 to 16 hrs with a 1500 mAh batt. It is also extremely fast and will be even faster with froyo 2.2.
In other words it is not slow , laggy , or outdated like your Imagio and my Imagio.
8-hours... yeah if you charge it periodically or do nothing at all with it. that still doesn't even last a day of work. PATHETIC.

sure the incredible is a decent device but no more than a 9 month old 2009 model HD2. oh yeah the HD2 has a better screen too. ROTFLMAO. I mean if you're going to pop off at least have a newer device that runs at 1GHZ (check incredible's cpu throttling) like droidX (also w/ better screen).

anyways comparing a new "superphone" (with bad battery life) to an old (last generation) WM6.5 device is super lame. especially when said outdated phone (imagio) can pretty much do ANYTHING i need (turn by turn gps, slingbox, exchange, outlook, calender, windowslive contact sync, ms office, browser, etc.) at this point.

get a clue
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Toysrme's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: imagio
Carrier: Verizon
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 82
Reputation: 115
Toysrme is keeping up the good workToysrme is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool Re: Waiting for Superphone

im getting 1-2 days off a charge @ 825mhz. you must have some shitty reception, and/or your phone is always in 3G mode, which it shouldn't be.
power drain for 3G can easily be quintuple 1x mode. im checking weather & email every 15. twitter & facebook @ their minimums...
it is EASY to get this phone tweaked so that it looses *maybe* 5% battery life overnight.


i wouldn't want that phone at all. why would you want a single core cpu. why would you want a 2ghz cpu? ive never seen ANY app that needed more than 700mhz to run well. from remote desktop to playing back b-frame mtree 800*480 h264 video @ 20fps. just a waste of money.

i like my gf's incredible. nice touch screen. pretty snappy. unfortunately there isn't a single program worth mentioning avalible on android. seriously. its just more of the same useless crap. aside from look pretty that phone is no different than a normal dumbphone.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Toysrme's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: imagio
Carrier: Verizon
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 82
Reputation: 115
Toysrme is keeping up the good workToysrme is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Waiting for Superphone

and who cares about the resolution of cellphone cameras & videos? the resolution has long been inconsequential. the quality is crap regardless. the simple fact is that it's a tiny sensor, with crap optics in front of it. anyone that remotely cares about "large pixel images" or "HD video" is going to have something that doesn't suck. be it a DSLR and/or a camcorder.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com