PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

superevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Slow *3G* data speeds FIXED! with speedtest results

Hey guys. On the EVO I am getting horrible speed test results. Speeds range anywhere from .10 to .80 and rearely around 1MB. Anyone else having the same issue. Remember this is in a 3G only area, Phoenix to be exact.

Interestingly enough, on my TP2 I had decent speeds almost always averaging 1MB or higher.

Update:

FIXED!!!
Here is the below speedtest with the new PRL. Tested video chat on Fring and downloaded HD youtube videos. Youtube kept up with no pauses at all while testing HQ movie trailers. Big change.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696073

Download the PRL for alltel/verizon. I went from .24mbps to 1.6 in the same area.

ALERT*******: *2 is no longer functioning. Tradeoff for better data speeds.

All credit to techknowfile over at XDA. Thanks man!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 40060prl.zip (2.6 KB, 334 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by superevilllama; 06-12-2010 at 02:25 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 3VO 3D

Mswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Mswezey Send a message via MSN to Mswezey Send a message via Yahoo to Mswezey Send a message via Skype™ to Mswezey
Re: Slow *3G* data speeds

Peak Usage times?
3G signal?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Android Groupie
Pocket PC: Nexus One & EVO
Carrier: T-Mobile & Sprint

electronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to electronicrice

Shouldn't be the signal at all if the TP2 in the same location was getting far better data speeds. I can attest to this. I'm in Phoenix as well, and test the speed throughout the day. Rarely do I get above .50mbps whereas the TP2 I used to have would average about 1mbps or higher. 4G service in Arizona is not slated for any time this year, so this connection is unacceptable.

This also doesn't bode well for the fact that I recently defected to T-Mobile for the Nexus One and in the same locaton through the day, I'm averaging 2.5-3.5mbps speeds. I love the size of the Evo, but data is a huge factor for me, and I'm really struggling with the poor 3G service on this phone.

So anyway, as per the OP, is anyone else experiencing something similar?

Last edited by electronicrice; 06-07-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

Network usage is a common factor in this too...area coverage...etc...how many people are using 3G in you area affects how fast your test will be...try another server too...

What app where you using to test this with? There are two I know of, one of them is Speedtest.net app.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

superevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH09 View Post
Network usage is a common factor in this too...area coverage...etc...how many people are using 3G in you area affects how fast your test will be...try another server too...

What app where you using to test this with? There are two I know of, one of them is Speedtest.net app.

I am not trying to be rude and apprecaite any help here, but I do not think anyone has read the first or second posts. We are testing the bandwidth throughout the day in the same places we normally had faster speeds. I have never had a .10 speedtest result on any other sprint phone, and I have been with them for over 7 years.

Yes, I am using the speedtest.net app.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 3VO 3D

Mswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Mswezey Send a message via MSN to Mswezey Send a message via Yahoo to Mswezey Send a message via Skype™ to Mswezey

Could it be that Evo has some background apps eating at your bandwidth while you are running the speed test?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Make sure speedtest.net is not automatically routing you through a server in wichita,ks. With the IP you're getting it may be using that server. That's what it's doing for me and I'm in California. Go to settings and try another server.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

AaronP220 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAaronP220 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAaronP220 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAaronP220 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to AaronP220

That's what mine seems to be able to do. .8-1.2 normal on 3G. Certainly faster than the Hero.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I changed the server to Tucson (even Cox, cable provider out here says not to use Phoenix server as unreliable). I am getting .43MB down and .51 upload.

Not making sense.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Android Groupie
Pocket PC: Nexus One & EVO
Carrier: T-Mobile & Sprint

electronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to electronicrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mswezey View Post
Could it be that Evo has some background apps eating at your bandwidth while you are running the speed test?
I thought the same thing. Used my task killer and killed all background apps and tested again but am still getting the same speeds.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G