PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

gammarho55 is keeping up the good workgammarho55 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Help please... new to android/ rooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post
See!! We told you so. LOL

I recommend you update your Recovery. Recovery is a shell program that permits you to to flash updates, do back-ups/restores, wipe caches, etc.

Hang on and I will attach AMON's latest recovery.

I just ran UnRevoked on my daughter's phone that she got for Christmas. I was having some weird effects from Clockwork's recovery so I quickly moved on to Amon.

Copy the attached file to your SDCard. Shut down your phone and start it up in Bootloader by holding he Vol down button and pressing the power button. When you are in the bootloader screen, hit the power button One time. This will cause it to go into HBoot. Wait about 10 seconds and your card will be scanned, looking for different key file names. When it finds the PC36IMG.zip file, it will process it and ask if you want to install it. Vol up for Yes.

The install will take only a few seconds. Once done, let the phone reboot all the way up. Now do a shut down and boot into Recovery. Do a little exploring and get familiar with the option names. Most menus lead to sub-menus. Nothing happens without offering you a chance to back-up so don't be agraid to explore. Pay attention to Wipe procedures.

Now, go into back-up and do a Nandroid backup. Someday down the road, you are going to tell us your phone is bricked and we are going to instruct you to restore a Nand backup. When you say you have never done one, you will have the ultimate egg on face. So do it NOW. It is your lifeline.

Next? Flashing a custom ROM.
that's done... anything else that needs to be done before i flash a custom rom? i'm assuming i just need to download a rom and then go back into recovery and go to where it says "flash zip from sdcard"?

If someone helped you with a problem, hit the thanks button and let them know you appreciate their time.

Last edited by gammarho55; 01-11-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: A bad MoPho...

Boaz65 is becoming a great contributor
Re: ?'s about flashing 1st ROM and OTA notice

Wow guys, THANKS! I woke up this morning with the balls to do this and IT'S DONE! I want to really thank you guys for the step-by-step hook up! All of my contacts, apps are all here. Should I continue to ignore the future Sprint OTA hardware updates? Also, now that I have the Sprint Lovers All-In-One, should I go back to recovery and do the nand backup for this new set up?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO...nothin but the BEST!

TREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammarho55 View Post
that's done... anything else that needs to be done before i flash a custom rom? i'm assuming i just need to download a rom and then go back into recovery and go to where it says "flash zip from sdcard"?
You got it...

but get in the habit of wiping cache and davlik before every flash

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

If your rooted dont ever accept firmware updates from sprint. Backing up is never a bad idea. Just delete older ones after you determine you won't use them again.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammarho55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post
See!! We told you so. LOL

I recommend you update your Recovery. Recovery is a shell program that permits you to to flash updates, do back-ups/restores, wipe caches, etc.

Hang on and I will attach AMON's latest recovery.

I just ran UnRevoked on my daughter's phone that she got for Christmas. I was having some weird effects from Clockwork's recovery so I quickly moved on to Amon.

Copy the attached file to your SDCard. Shut down your phone and start it up in Bootloader by holding he Vol down button and pressing the power button. When you are in the bootloader screen, hit the power button One time. This will cause it to go into HBoot. Wait about 10 seconds and your card will be scanned, looking for different key file names. When it finds the PC36IMG.zip file, it will process it and ask if you want to install it. Vol up for Yes.

The install will take only a few seconds. Once done, let the phone reboot all the way up. Now do a shut down and boot into Recovery. Do a little exploring and get familiar with the option names. Most menus lead to sub-menus. Nothing happens without offering you a chance to back-up so don't be agraid to explore. Pay attention to Wipe procedures.

Now, go into back-up and do a Nandroid backup. Someday down the road, you are going to tell us your phone is bricked and we are going to instruct you to restore a Nand backup. When you say you have never done one, you will have the ultimate egg on face. So do it NOW. It is your lifeline.

Next? Flashing a custom ROM.
Make a backup, then clear cache, flash away.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:27 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Rooting questions need to be posted in the rooting thread.

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: sprint

jdog21 is a n00b
rooting question?

Is there a new unrevoked that will work on the new froyo 2.2 thats on the hct evo. i got mine in nov 2010 and all ive been reading is dont do it it dosent work yet. looking for an easy way to to do a full root. can anyone help me thx
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo

gammarho55 is keeping up the good workgammarho55 is keeping up the good work
Re: rooting question?

check out this thread... i just asked the same question

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-4g...d-rooting.html
Old 01-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Yes the new 3.32 will work just fine.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammarho55 View Post
check out this thread... i just asked the same question

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-4g...d-rooting.html
good pass

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos