PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: SPRINT

DrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good workDrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via MSN to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via Yahoo to DrUnKeN_TiGeR
Re: Rooting and Flashing EVO Instructions for super n00b's on PC's ***Videos Included

1) Take the evo-recovery.zip file and extract the contents to the C: DRIVE.
So you should have a folder on C that says,
C:\evo-recovery
DONE
2) If you haven't done so before, install HTC Sync. If you have the phone connected as a disk drive, one of the folders is called HTC Sync and you can find the file there. Or you can download a newer version from HTC.
DONE
3) Now disconnect and reconnect your phone selecting HTC Sync this time.
DONE
4) On your pc, hit the Windows Key + R to bring up a run window.
DONE
5) Type "cmd" and hit {ENTER} (no quotes)
DONE
6) In the new command window that opened, type the following,
cd\ {ENTER}
cd evo-recovery {ENTER}
Now you'll be at the C:\evo-recovery>
DONE
7) Type "adb-windows reboot recovery" {ENTER} (no quotes)
Your phone will reboot and be in the recovery screen. Looks like a black screen w/ an EVO and an /!\
DONE
8} On your PC, go to My Computer and navigate to the evo-recovery folder. Which should be c:\evo-recovery.
Inside are a series of files. For Windows XP, double-click "recovery-windows.bat." (If you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click it first and choose "Run as administrator") then double click it. Now wait while it does what it needs to do. When it's finish, you'll be on a screen that says, "Android system recovery" in yellow letters at the very top.
This is where i get error: device not found

can anyone help me?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:39 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Rooting and Flashing EVO Instructions for super n00b's on PC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoenike View Post
i believe so. guess I screwed it up by rooting. i knew id messing something up, even with the super easy awesome instructions grrr
dschoenike
Just unroot it (going back to stock will unroot it I think) and then do the OTA, and then do the unrevoked root (which works with the OTA update).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: Rooting and Flashing EVO Instructions for super n00b's on PC's ***Videos Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUnKeN_TiGeR View Post
1) Take the evo-recovery.zip file and extract the contents to the C: DRIVE.
So you should have a folder on C that says,
C:\evo-recovery
DONE
2) If you haven't done so before, install HTC Sync. If you have the phone connected as a disk drive, one of the folders is called HTC Sync and you can find the file there. Or you can download a newer version from HTC.
DONE
3) Now disconnect and reconnect your phone selecting HTC Sync this time.
DONE
4) On your pc, hit the Windows Key + R to bring up a run window.
DONE
5) Type "cmd" and hit {ENTER} (no quotes)
DONE
6) In the new command window that opened, type the following,
cd\ {ENTER}
cd evo-recovery {ENTER}
Now you'll be at the C:\evo-recovery>
DONE
7) Type "adb-windows reboot recovery" {ENTER} (no quotes)
Your phone will reboot and be in the recovery screen. Looks like a black screen w/ an EVO and an /!\
DONE
8} On your PC, go to My Computer and navigate to the evo-recovery folder. Which should be c:\evo-recovery.
Inside are a series of files. For Windows XP, double-click "recovery-windows.bat." (If you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click it first and choose "Run as administrator") then double click it. Now wait while it does what it needs to do. When it's finish, you'll be on a screen that says, "Android system recovery" in yellow letters at the very top.
This is where i get error: device not found

can anyone help me?
Yeah Bro, watch his vid HERE, he shows you how with a few changes from those instructions. Just did it and I'm flashing my first Evo ROM NOW!!!!!

EDIT:Thanks again Fast!! I'm am up and running OMJ's latest with the new radio to boot. You rock Brotha!! Now where can I get me one of those Droid necklace/keychain thingies you were twirling around?

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-09-2010 at 01:37 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

r.mauldin is becoming a great contributor

I did not pay attention and wiped the "cache" not the "dalvik-cache" before loading OKJ v1.2. I spent all day yesterday installing and setting everything up like I wanted it. Everything seems fine. Should I re-install everything and go back and wipe everything to include dalvik-cache?

thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.mauldin View Post
I did not pay attention and wiped the "cache" not the "dalvik-cache" before loading OKJ v1.2. I spent all day yesterday installing and setting everything up like I wanted it. Everything seems fine. Should I re-install everything and go back and wipe everything to include dalvik-cache?

thanks
Applying basic flash rules, if it aint broke, dont fix it . I assume the wipe is to ensure a clean install, sounds like you got lucky. COULD be wrong, keep your eyes open for weirdness.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: SPRINT

DrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good workDrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via MSN to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via Yahoo to DrUnKeN_TiGeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Yeah Bro, watch his vid HERE, he shows you how with a few changes from those instructions. Just did it and I'm flashing my first Evo ROM NOW!!!!!

EDIT:Thanks again Fast!! I'm am up and running OMJ's latest with the new radio to boot. You rock Brotha!! Now where can I get me one of those Droid necklace/keychain thingies you were twirling around?
thx ill try that
Old 06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
I got the key chain from an HTC rep at an HTC Party last Thursday. They had some customer appreciation event at a club in Hollywood. Free food and free drinks. Got to check out all the latest phones they have.

BTW - I updated the steps in the 1st post to match what I did in the video.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Just wanted to say Thanks for giving use the correct commands to make this work. I love how some drop the ball and never look back. Thanks. Your post should be stickied and the other should be deleted.

Droidrox39
Old 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TP, TP2, EVO 4G

Biofall is becoming a great contributor

I'm picking up my EVO today, and here's my honest question. I have nothing against rooting, as I was a ROM addict on WinMo, but is this ROM that everyone uses stable enough for me to root now for it? Or should I just enjoy stock for awhile?
The Kernel.... HTC Supersecret Supersonic 3.28.651.1 - unreleased OTA (thanks flipzmod!)
Old 06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biofall View Post
I'm picking up my EVO today, and here's my honest question. I have nothing against rooting, as I was a ROM addict on WinMo, but is this ROM that everyone uses stable enough for me to root now for it? Or should I just enjoy stock for awhile?
The rom I'm using is great. Truth be told, you only need to root right now if you want to use Wifi tethering or you want to install the newer radio.

Also, if you're concerned about the stability of the custom roms, there is a rooted version of the official rom. No changes made to it but it allows you to install a new radio and use Wifi tethering.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos