PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Surround
Carrier: AT&T

Tiberius85 is keeping up the good workTiberius85 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Diamond Heating Issues Explained?

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/in...ty_rumors.html

Quote:
Battery Life + Heat Problems on Sprint Diamond?
Battery life issue on the diamond is due to the radio in constant refresh, basically instead of interval of 300ms the diamond was set to 100ms and causes battery drain. The heat issue is also another cause but the reason for the heat is due to the heat plate was not added to the sprint version behind the keys like it was supposed to and sprint and HTC are discussing that.
...the heat plate is on the Pro, also I tested the phone and over clocked the processor to test to see if there was a heat issue, there was not a problem at all, and the processor took the over clock nicely. I tested the radio also for the heat issue and after 2.2 hours it was warm to were it could be noticed but correct me if I'm wrong what phone doesn't get warm with that amount of talk time.
So they left this heat plate out of the Diamond and cranked up the radio refresh which killed the battery faster and heated up the phone when ANY radio is in use? They did this AFTER adding the larger battery?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100
Re: Diamond Heating Issues Explained?

if this IS true, i wonder what HTC/Sprint will do about the existing diamond customers?

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Sprint

neilson is keeping up the good workneilson is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius85 View Post
http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/in...ty_rumors.html

So they left this heat plate out of the Diamond and cranked up the radio refresh which killed the battery faster and heated up the phone when ANY radio is in use? They did this AFTER adding the larger battery?
Short Term: I flashed my phone to the VZW radio(which consumes less power and therefore demands less from the battery).

Long Term: I expect to see a recall that'll include a new ROM from Sprint, new back cover to the phone with more heat shielding built right in, or just an even swap for a "new" batch of Touch Diamonds.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 AM
VIP Member

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Short Term: I flashed my phone to the VZW radio(which consumes less power and therefore demands less from the battery).

Long Term: I expect to see a recall that'll include a new ROM from Sprint, new back cover to the phone with more heat shielding built right in, or just an even swap for a "new" batch of Touch Diamonds.
in a perfect idealists world, yes, in a realist world, i wouldnt expect sprint to do this!!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
in a perfect idealists world, yes, in a realist world, i wouldnt expect sprint to do this!!

I would, simply because this is a heat issue.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

the heat shields is missing. FCC said it wasn't required at first. it is. i believe replacement units will have it.

VZW radio helps allot.

i would like to know how to fix this f'in radio refresh so we can save so juice.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
the heat shields is missing. FCC said it wasn't required at first. it is. i believe replacement units will have it.

VZW radio helps allot.

i would like to know how to fix this f'in radio refresh so we can save so juice.
agreed, hopefully, there will be some type of recall or silent recall so we can swap our toasters out for shiny new diamonds.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
agreed, hopefully, there will be some type of recall or silent recall so we can swap our toasters out for shiny new diamonds.
maybe, i dont know if Canada will get new swapped devices.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
maybe, i dont know if Canada will get new swapped devices.
I wouldn't be too worried about Telus, they're usually good about stuff like this too
Old 10-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I asked the OP who posted the information about refresh and heat shield on the possibility of setting changes to fix the 100ms vs. 300ms., he did not answer. So I'm asking again:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by criticalaudioinc
- If there were any other questions please post them again, my apologies for missing any.
In the "other", now defunct thread, you posted that the reason that the Diamond is murder on battery is because the radio refresh is set to 100ms and it should have been 300ms, and that a ROM update could correct this.

1) Can this be fixed without a ROM update? I looked in the registry and all of the items/menus in EPST but couldn't find anything close to the 100ms value.

2) The only "refresh" or polling value that I'm aware of is the "slot cycle index". The slot cycle index for Sprint Diamond is set at 2. The forumla for calculating paging channel time is 2^N x 1.28 (where "N" is the slot cycle index). This puts the time at 5.12 seconds (or 5120ms). How is the "radio refresh you mentioned relate (if at all) to this?

I'm a Diamond owner intending to go to Touch Pro, but help here can ease the pain of waiting for the Pro, as I am hoping for at least 24 hours on a charge on the Diamond.

3) Is it true then, since HTC and its affiliates are aware of the incorrect setting on the Diamond, that the Touch Pro will be released with the correct setting and will have BETTER battery life than the Diamond?

Thank you.

\/ \/

On the subject of heat-shield: I can't see how the reportedly omitted shield could hurt the battery life. If anything, NOT having a shield and feeling the heat on the outside means that the heat is radiating out and dissipating, which can HELP battery life (lower internal temp). In general, higher temp=higher resistance=more power needed to drive the circuit. This is why superconductors need to operate at very low temps. Unless there is something I'm not seeing, I can live with the heat and would chose to go without the shield.

/\ /\

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond